January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't encourage him!!!

Although I'd rather Long than Griffiths.

Let's make Mikey choose.

Griffiths or Long Mikey??

Long, easy

The only time I legitimately suggested Griffiths was when Moyes was manager and he had that great season for Hibs

He would have been a bargain buy, but our days of needing bargains are beyond us

Now we have money, we can afford better, such as Long

Money isn't the issue here, it's whether a player will take a secondary role and how good a player we can get for that

I like Griffiths, but Long is better and proven at PL level

Griffiths could probably make it at a mid level PL team and have a good career, but that's not what we're looking for

Long could legitimately be a decent back up striker for an upper table team

Long, easy

The only time I legitimately suggested Griffiths was when Moyes was manager and he had that great season for Hibs

Now we have money, we can afford better, such as long

I like Griffiths, but Long is better and proven at PL level

Griffiths could probably make it at a mid level PL team and have a good career, but that's not what we're looking for

Long could legitimately be a decent back up striker for an upper table team

Interesting.

MIKEY HATES LEIGH GRIFFITHS

I know mate I was just messing. Just backing you as you've come out smelling of roses with VVD so maybe Griffiths wasn't such a bad shout after all!

I haven't legitimately shouted for Griffiths since the Moyes days mate, back when we had f all money and needed to think with our pockets

Van Dijk was a modern day shout, and my best to date, outside of maybe Heaton whose been great this season and I was suggesting him about 2 years ago

I haven't legitimately shouted for Griffiths since the Moyes days mate, back when we had f all money and needed to think with our pockets

Van Dijk was a modern day shout, and my best to date, outside of maybe Heaton whose been great this season and I was suggesting him about 2 years ago

what do you think of Dembele of Celtic? shown enough yet do you think for the PL?

what do you think of Dembele of Celtic? shown enough yet do you think for the PL?

He's done well in the Champions League, so I think he could but I'd also maybe say give him another season or two at Celtic first

He's only 19 I think, plenty of time for him to develop

He's showing a lot of promise though, and I'm not surprised Spurs were interested in him before he went to Celtic

He's done well in the Champions League, so I think he could but I'd also maybe say give him another season or two at Celtic first

He's only 19 I think, plenty of time for him to develop

He's showing a lot of promise though, and I'm not surprised Spurs were interested in him before he went to Celtic

Do you not think that giving him another couple of seasons will result in him getting bought by a Chelsea or City? That tends to be the way with these things now. Wouldn't it be better for us to act asap (assuming we were interested in him at all of course)

I do think people misinterpret me sometimes

Every player I suggest is usually based around whether I think there's any realistic chance of us getting them

That's why I always suggested discount or bargain buys back in the no money days and I'm suggesting back up striker options now

It's not that I think these players are amazing and they're my dream buys, it's just me analysing the probability of who we can get and why

Notice when it comes to keepers and CB's in the past I've suggested first teamers like Butland and Van Dijk, because I think we can get them now we have some money but also think they're good players

When it comes to a striker, I think the chances of us getting a top striker is slim because the best strikers won't want to come in to be back up, therefore I have to look at players proven at Premier League level who will be prepared to play second fiddle

Hence why Berahino and Long's names get mentioned

Long knows the manager and will be willing to be back up, plus he's not a bad player

Berahino is young, with a decent upside who is looking for a fresh start to build his reputation back up, and he's played at this level successfully in the past, so much so that even Spurs wanted him at one point until WBA blocked it

So when I make a call you don't like, please be aware of the criteria that led to that decision, because when it comes to transfers I always put realism and probability over optimism and wish fulfilment

I've been that way since the days we had f all in the bank and I'm going to continue to be that way even with money to spend

Cheers

Do you not think that giving him another couple of seasons will result in him getting bought by a Chelsea or City? That tends to be the way with these things now. Wouldn't it be better for us to act asap (assuming we were interested in him at all of course)

I depends where we are in a couple of seasons

If we're a CL regular then, he might choose us because he'll have more chance of first team minutes

Seeing as we have practically nothing in reserve if Rom goes down, is it smarter to go for someone proven at this level already?

These are the sort of gambles you have to make

I do think people misinterpret me sometimes

Every player I suggest is usually based around whether I think there's any realistic chance of us getting them

That's why I always suggested discount or bargain buys back in the no money days and I'm suggesting back up striker options now

It's not that I think these players are amazing and they're my dream buys, it's just me analysing the probability of who we can get and why

Notice when it comes to keepers and CB's in the past I've suggested first teamers like Butland and Van Dijk, because I think we can get them now we have some money but also think they're good players

When it comes to a striker, I think the chances of us getting a top striker is slim because the best strikers won't want to come in to be back up, therefore I have to look at players proven at Premier League level who will be prepared to play second fiddle

Hence why Berahino and Long's names get mentioned

Long knows the manager and will be willing to be back up, plus he's not a bad player

Berahino is young, with a decent upside who is looking for a fresh start to build his reputation back up, and he's played at this level successfully in the past, so much so that even Spurs wanted him at one point until WBA blocked it

So when I make a call you don't like, please be aware of the criteria that led to that decision, because when it comes to transfers I always put realism and probability over optimism and wish fulfilment

I've been that way since the days we had f all in the bank and I'm going to continue to be that way even with money to spend

Cheers

You know we all love you though Mikey and wouldn't want you ever to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back