January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may well be great players mate, honestly don't watch the Bundesliga so have no clue, just think the chances that Germany has suddenly produced what 'appears' to some to be about 5-6 world class keepers all at the same time seems really unlikely, as i said karius was being hyped as Germany's 2nd or 3rd best keeper last season by the rs, turns out he is actually pretty terrible, Stegen, Horn, Leno.

Zieler another one who got touted, moved to Leicester, lost 5 drew one of the last 6 he's started - conceded 16, so maybe not exactly a world beater either.

If/When we go for a new keeper - more likely during the summer, then much rather we went for Butland/Forster/Pickford even if they may cost a bit more than bringing in a touted keeper whose never played in the league who'd be more of a gamble (yeah could end up with a Lloris or DeGea but thats unlikely)

Pickford all day but the lad is forging a fantastic reputation for himself and sunderland will demand a kings ransom to even attempt to get him in January, the money they could lose getting relegated if he was out the team is far more than any potential transfer fee

We don't even need that much, it's just literally 2 or 3 positions where we are being forced to play massively below-par players in our side: Goalkeeper, central midfield, on the wing.

When nearly a third of your starting XI is clearly not good enough then you're going to have massive trouble.

If we got in a decent goalie, Schneiderlin and Depay (or somebody similar) then we'd immediately become much more dangerous. But as it stands we have that plank Stekelenburg between the sticks, have to pick Barry every single game because we literally have no other options (and he's dropping off form / coming to the end of his career quickly) and have literally four wide men who never score and perform well in one game out of six or seven. No wonder we're crap.

What would a top-6 goalkeeper, plus Schneiderlin plus a top-6 winger cost - 45m? Seeing as we're still in negative net spend from the summer and are apparently owned by a billionaire who claimed he'll invest in the squad, surely that isn't too much to ask for?

We shouldn't have players like Bolasie, Stekelenburg and one of Jagielka/Mori guaranteed a starting position for us. It's exactly the reason we are completely toothless in attack and look useless in defence too. Bolasie needs to be a squad player, while the others mentioned need getting rid off. Mirallas, Bolasie, Deulofeu - none of them are good enough for any other team in the top 6, and the same could be said for Stek, Jagielka, Mori, Barkley, Valencia, Kone, Niasse, McCarthy, Besic, Cleverley ... too many nobodies or has-beens in our squad.

I would die with happiness if we managed to get Schneiderlin and Depay in January. The thought of Schneiderlin and Gueye working together in the midfield makes me feel giddy. Think this could be Barry's last season with us so we need a strong replacement for him. Also need a left back and a top class striker.

I would die with happiness if we managed to get Schneiderlin and Depay in January. The thought of Schneiderlin and Gueye working together in the midfield makes me feel giddy. Think this could be Barry's last season with us so we need a strong replacement for him. Also need a left back and a top class striker.

Look lads, this is the reaction we need, not fuming 6 weeks in advance about the thought of signing them as per usual.

Pickford all day but the lad is forging a fantastic reputation for himself and sunderland will demand a kings ransom to even attempt to get him in January, the money they could lose getting relegated if he was out the team is far more than any potential transfer fee

Aye it's why i don't think we will adress the keeper in january, don't see any side - especially in the premiership with the cost of relegation financially letting there first choice go, so personally anyway, would rather wait until the sumemr and then go after Pickford or Butland - even if the cost would be huge, rather than make do with a 'minor' improvement with the likes of a Begovic etc.

Fix the position for the long term and go for one of those young keepers proven in the league with 10+ years ahead of them at least.

It is a seriously groin tingling centre mid pairing that, they could take turns being the one to drive forwards.

Mainly just because hes versatile and is better than 80% of our squad, not sure where I'd pitch him in tbh.

I like Blind myself mate, can play 3-4 positions at a good level, honestly though Schneiderlin is the one we need to get in, would change the team hugely, wouldn't mind Depay either, reading up about him and his time at United, seems when Shaw was fit before doing his leg the United fans actually where impressed by him and the way they linked up together, was after that when the injury forced shaw out that Depay started drawing a lot of criticsm and his form went to pot.

Could be a great signing and could link very well up with Baines as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back