January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing is though, it isn't just a short term fix is it? Because we have to outlay money to sign Fonte, plus offer him decent wages to sign, especially as he is taking a step down to come to us. So that 'short term' fix is potentially going to cost us 5 million + 52000000 quid in wages for the 2 years he is likely to be here.

It also increases the defenders we have in that position making it harder for any young ones to come in and stake a claim ala Stones which would then be detrimental. It also increases the risk of said older defender has a sharp decline, which combined with high wages means we struggle to shift them (see Mcgeady for an example) and then it weighs on the club financially.

WTF?!?!?!?

Right I have my list:

Jordan Pickford
Virgil Van Dijk
William Carvhalo
Yacine Brahimi
Yarmolenko
Shane Long

I'd have them all apart from Brahimi. He's total, total guff. Porto fans were absolutely weeing themselves silly when we nearly bought him in the summer.

the thing is though, it isn't just a short term fix is it? Because we have to outlay money to sign Fonte, plus offer him decent wages to sign, especially as he is taking a step down to come to us. So that 'short term' fix is potentially going to cost us 5 million + 52000000 quid in wages for the 2 years he is likely to be here.

It also increases the defenders we have in that position making it harder for any young ones to come in and stake a claim ala Stones which would then be detrimental. It also increases the risk of said older defender has a sharp decline, which combined with high wages means we struggle to shift them (see Mcgeady for an example) and then it weighs on the club financially.

Strange man

Southampton finished in europe 2 years in a row, we didn't. Therefore step down to go to a club who consistently finish below you in the league.

@boris as above

We all start each season again from scratch though Ash and even though a league table is not the deciding factor as to who is a big club, we're currently above them now (despite us being useless) and have been for 90%+ of our history.

Never, ever, will Southampton be a step up from us.

Moving from Southampton to Everton is not and will never be a step down. Jesus Christ.

So Aguero moving from top 4 city to no mark kopites isn't a step down either for arguments sake? Because they were succesful once?

When i team consistently finishes above another one, they are the better prospect, no matter which way you paint it up. If they went and done it for a third year then, would that not count either?

We are a mid table team, they are a top 6 team based on consistency. come may is the time for that to change, therefore a step down right now.

We all start each season again from scratch though Ash and even though a league table is not the deciding factor as to who is a big club, we're currently above them now (despite us being useless) and have been for 90%+ of our history.

Never, ever, will Southampton be a step up from us.

As above, it is a kopite argument to say we are abigger club so therefore we aren't a step down etc.

We are also more succesful than city / chelsea / spurs? are we not a step down from them currently? Would aguero or De Bruyne not be taking a step down to come to us as we are a big club? Saints have been the better team for 2 years now, that is the reality of it. Until we out perform them, then the better prospects for any sort of achievement in a league season is currently southampton over us. Do the whole blue tinted specs all we want, doesn't change reality.

Watched this guy a couple of times and he looks the part, missed out in thee summer apparently...from The Everton Forum

Everton will return with a bid for Valencia defender Aymen Abdennour but face a fight from Marseille for the 27 year old according to Talksport.

Chelsea are also interested in the centre-back who looks likely to leave La Liga in the January window.

Everton are looking to add strength in depth to an ageing squad and Abdennour is seen as a no nonsense defender who could add strength to the back line.

So Aguero moving from top 4 city to no mark kopites isn't a step down either for arguments sake? Because they were succesful once?

When i team consistently finishes above another one, they are the better prospect, no matter which way you paint it up. If they went and done it for a third year then, would that not count either?

We are a mid table team, they are a top 6 team based on consistency. come may is the time for that to change, therefore a step down right now.

As above, it is a kopite argument to say we are abigger club so therefore we aren't a step down etc.

We are also more succesful than city / chelsea / spurs? are we not a step down from them currently? Would aguero or De Bruyne not be taking a step down to come to us as we are a big club? Saints have been the better team for 2 years now, that is the reality of it. Until we out perform them, then the better prospects for any sort of achievement in a league season is currently southampton over us. Do the whole blue tinted specs all we want, doesn't change reality.

Nope. And you need to stop calling things 'Kopite arguments'.

Watched this guy a couple of times and he looks the part, missed out in thee summer apparently...from The Everton Forum

Everton will return with a bid for Valencia defender Aymen Abdennour but face a fight from Marseille for the 27 year old according to Talksport.

Chelsea are also interested in the centre-back who looks likely to leave La Liga in the January window.

Everton are looking to add strength in depth to an ageing squad and Abdennour is seen as a no nonsense defender who could add strength to the back line.

He looked good this season? He was touted as a bit tosh over the summer.

Yes fair points mate, it's not a long term strategy I grant you that. However it would be hard to argue that on his current form Fonte wouldn't be a massive upgrade on Jagielka or even Mori. In the current climate, where someone like Keane from Burnley may cost 25 million, and championship defenders cost over 10, 5 million pounds for what I would say is a superior defender would be a snip.

There are two things that factor into my like for Fonte really (over and above me thinking he is one of the better defenders in the league). Primarily I like having experienced defenders. Williams gives us a sense of calm we've missed since Weir, Gough or at an extent Stubbs. having no nonsense centre backs can set the tempo for the team.

The other point is that in the continued search of "moneyball" which most teams are adopting, counter intuitively there is value to be gained from older players. Everyone wants younger players and some older players I think are being thrown on the scrapheap too early.

I take your point on Mcgeady, but he was just a punt. If we're honest Fonte is a fair bit better than Mcgeady. Let me ask you mate, do you think Fonte has been in any way inferior to Stones or Keane this season?

Rooney makes sense from a commercial side. Kids would lap it up, the deluded media would lap it up. He might not be a force on the field but he'd get people's attention of it. If we can afford it then I'd look to the deal. Not because I think he's gonna take us to the next level but because signing him would be a statement to others who maybe could.
Might actually be a shrewd move ahead of new sponsorship talks.... Rooney might generate interest and/or money we might not see without him. Could be the kind of signing that pays itself forward.

Saints have been the better team for 2 years now, that is the reality of it. Until we out perform them, then the better prospects for any sort of achievement in a league season is currently southampton over us. Do the whole blue tinted specs all we want, doesn't change reality.

We're outperforming them now, we have done for 95 of the last 100 years and they've made top 6 once in my lifetime.....

I'll leave you to it...........

Unless Tunisia haven't qualified for ACON, he'll be there. So would be pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back