January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slimani was a known entity for some time mate and cost Bolaisse money, not really a scouting coup... it was just the hyperbole attached to this Walsh guy I don't get, one Algerian success does not equate to 'a track record' of signing and identifying quality Algerians. I'd never heard of Walsh til he signed for us and the hubris around him make out like he was responsible for setting up a Southampton YA/La Masia at Leicester, he signed a handful of decent players for them fair play, if he can replicate here we shall see...

I think that's a fair point mate and I might be getting carried away to call it a proven track record. I think he's shown he is aware of Algerian players and also that he had a pretty decent eye for talent at Leicester so that balances out some of the more critical reports of Brahimi currently. That was my point really rather than building him up as some messiah, just that it makes the transfer have some legs.

I also think, if he's fallen out of favour at Porto currently if Walsh has been aware of him for longer we could be getting a talented player at a knockdown price. We did similar with Arteta and Peinaar who had similar situations where it went stale for them at a club. Likewise if you watched Lukaku at the back end of last season or Barkley for a lot of this year you'd be disappointed signing them, but most of us would say there is a player in there.

Both Ghezzal and Brahimi have had poor seasons (Ghezzal had a good last game) but I suppose I trust Walsh's judgement on players.

Seen his name pop up a couple of times is he a striker?

Nah mate can play all over, broke through at 18-19 as an attacking mid, since then spent a season or two playing various positions - left and right wing, centre mid and as of last season solely as a defensive mid, the defensive mid though is where he's best, absolutely controls games from there. and still gets in the box a lt from that position and nets a few

Side note, no chance on earth of getting him as he's probably on a stupidly high wage these days as are a lot of Russian players at the bigger teams

Reactions: JLW
Winger/No.10

Looked like the big new thing at the 2010 WC/2012 Euros IIRC but seems to have not kicked on.

@bluestevon will see him play more than me though

He plays and has done so defensive mid almost entirely the last season and a bit mate for club and country

His problems after that break through euros was his temper, Capello basically torpedoed his international career for a few years as he didn't trust him in 'big' games - got a couple of bans for fights on the pitch, but seemed to mature a lt 2-3 years back and its not an issue these days anywhere like it was. Still got a bit of bite/fight to the lad though - suppose nearest example would be a barton who sorted his head out or a rooney in the way he was ultra commited etc (not talking about ability but his temper)

Difficult to judge but he has everything in his locker to succeed at the very top - in a top league, the game against Sweden he absolutely controleld it in what was a must win for both in Euro qualies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back