January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely wrong.

He'll play them when they're ready.

He's actually said that when they're ready they'll play and stay in and around the team.

i.e. Holgate. He's been in every match day sqaud.

Barkley has just turned 23. Lukaku is 23.

Doesn't play youth though...

It's utter drivel.

If they were good enough they'd be in, like Holgate has been.

Davies is the only other one that may - may - be ready, but we don't see him every day in training.

He's played a grand total of about 140 minutes of first-team football. He's 18. When he's ready to make the step up he will be played.
lol

Whoever we sign I hope we take a take it or leave it stance. Not talking bids to clubs but player contracts and terms. Sure a bit of flexibility is natural, but if there are doubts to the players decision then leave it and move on. I recognise it is difficult to gauge how the player feels sometimes.

But fed up of players 'using' us, the Witsel saga was a joke, and then there was a long line of players using us for contract deals or to hurry up another club into bidding. Again, part of this is agents negotiating better deals for their clients.

There were a few failures in the summer window, but the main ones were Walsh not having enough time, poor negotiations with priority targets which led to a goose chase of lesser targets for insane money closer to the end of the window. I expect a much better handled January window.

I'd rather us concentrate on bidding for players we can get though...
You could be right mate, maybe that was the problem in the summer, but I think Ramsey is someone worth enquiring about to see his availability and price, we could do that now.

I have noticed that some of the lists people are making are just of players we have been spuriously linked with. Has anybody got any fresh ideas about players or we happy with tabloid signings?

It's odd, because after someone posted the reddit comment where a Southampton fan was having a rant about why Koeman would choose us, you specifically mentioned our history, a history that you seem to completely disregard less than 6 months later when talking about some no mark player? As well as plenty of other reasons why someone would choose us over them as well.
ce1f4a074b1f8a3d82f512a6f4345a4f.gif

“We analyse our young players. It is about Tom Davies, it is about Kieran Dowell, Dominic Calvert-Lewin the striker, Jonjoe Kenny the right full-back.

“The under-23 competition cannot be compared to the Premier League. They train a lot of times with the first team and if there is a moment that they show they are on the level of other players in their position then I will give them the chance.

“It is also a physicality question about young players. Every day we have the contact with David Unsworth [the under-23s coach] and they need time. It is easy to say: ‘He played fantastic, he needs to play in the first team.’ No, they don’t understand the level of the Premier League and they need time. We are not playing in Holland – if so, then yes, they are ready. But ready for the Premier League? If I bring a young player in it is not for one game and then I will show the confidence in that young player. Still they are not ready.”

Notice there, he names four players.

One of those isn't Holgate.

Holgate has already done the bit I've put in bold.

Notice 'not for one game'... 'I will show the confidence in that young player'.

When they're ready, they'll play, and they will be in the squad firmly and for good.

I have noticed that some of the lists people are making are just of players we have been spuriously linked with. Has anybody got any fresh ideas about players or we happy with tabloid signings?

Well, tabloid signing or not, Schneiderlin would be ideal. It's common sense really.

The jury is out on Depay still, but we do desperately need another winger now Bolasie is crocked.

We need a CF - if Gabbiadini plays like he did the other day all of the time then I can see just why we wanted him in the summer.

My pie in the sky January shopping list would be:

Strootman. Brilliant player who I believe would fit in well with what Koeaman is trying to build. If we couldn't get him then Schneiderlin would be a good alternative.

Gabbiadini. Bit of a gamble but looks like he could add a bit of guile and creativity in the final third that we desperately need. Also has a wicked left peg.

Moussa Dembélé. Probably the least likely of them all but I think he's gonna be class so would go all out to get him, and God knows we need a striker!

Depay (Loan). Despite the reports of a bad attitude he certainly has bags of talent, and with Bolasie out for a long time he we need a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back