Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what we attempt to do mate, IF we target the likes of Strootman and players of that ilk, at those types of clubs, and with the importance they have at those clubs, then will will get nothing worthwhilst in, they will either not be willing to sell, or will demand fees that we will back away from.

IF we actually think about it rather than try to play foty manager which is what we seemed to have done in the summer by and large then we could easily bring in a good number of players that would improve us a hell of a lot, with the added bonus of not wasting the STCC allowance afforded us by selling Stones

Mid table premiership teams for example WILL sell some of there better players - in summer or January it doesn't matter really, as they are in that comfort zone of not being enough to get top 4 and being too strong to go down, teams like Saints, Palace etc have in past years sold some of there better players during a January - Cabaye from Newcastle being another case of that - as indeed was our sale of Graveson years back to Madrid.

Some of the BIG teams, by January it will be abundantly clear to a fair few of those players that they don't have much of a future at the teams (especially now that most managers like Conte, Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola etc have had 6 months or more under their belts by then), same goes for teams across Europe as well, throw on top of that some teams like Inter are almost in meltdown - and are a good choice to try to go for players who maybe are looking at getting out of dodge so to speak.

Will probably get dgs for the first suggestion - but say Sturridge come January could be an option - same for Schneiderlin, Rooney, Begovic, Ramsey, etc, players who have either nt been given a chance or who have seen there roles diminished dramatically.

Pastore - dropped down the pecking order at PSG, Peresic out of favour at Inter (could change obviously with FDB leaving), although could say a fair few Inter players must be currently a bit unhappy given the mess the club is in from top to bottom, thats without getting silly and talking about out of favour Madrid players - who are simply out our league and a waste of time thinking about etc.

Imagine a Everton team in January, bringing in Sturridge, Peresic and say Schneiderlin and say Heaton and VVD - all makeable deals - would cost a fair amount, but not one of those players 'should' be out of our reach in terms of finances and being able to attract them here

Won't happen because the club either doesn't have the ambition stated it has, or is setting it's targets all wrong

Good God man.

Sturridge?!?!?

We need a striker, not sure somebody who would cost around 40m and has had a few injury niggles would be my choice, even ignoring his stupid dance.

Do we really need ANOTHER winger? I know Peresic is very good, but another winger is not really what we need IMO.

A player like The Stroot, Schneiderlin defo.

Agree we need a GK.

Not convinced we need a CB.

Think its unrealistic for us to buy 4 first team players in January personally.

We need to add some attacking creative threat for damn sure tho.

Good God man.

Sturridge?!?!?

We need a striker, not sure somebody who would cost around 40m and has had a few injury niggles would be my choice, even ignoring his stupid dance.

Do we really need ANOTHER winger? I know Peresic is very good, but another winger is not really what we need IMO.

Agree we need a GK.

Given we only have one winger capable of being semi consistent id say we definitely need more wingers.

Deulofeus time here is done and Mirallas has been poor as well. Lennon is never going to be an option if we want to move forward

Given we only have one winger capable of being semi consistent id say we definitely need more wingers.

Deulofeus time here is done and Mirallas has been poor as well. Lennon is never going to be an option if we want to move forward

Whose the semi consistent one? Only one is Deulofeu for 1/2 last season.

The rest, I agree are rubbish. Sell Bolasie, Lennon, Mirallas and McGeady.

Good God man.

Sturridge?!?!?

Agree we need a GK.

I wasn't throwing massive amount of thought into the names mate, just literally ones that came into my mind as being out of favour who are better than either what we have or better by a way than our 'second' option

Thing about Sturridge - and yeah he is a bad blert with that dance, but look around and there isn't that much around atm, christ the three we had interest in are a bloke whose happy to sit as third choice or lower at Arsenal, a Italian who can't score even now that Milik is injured and Valencia mate, btw reckon Sturrdige would cost a lot less than that purely as think Klopp would jump at the chance to get rid of him - can't really think of another striekr we could realistically get in who wouldn't be a million mile drop in quality should Lukaku get a knock or his form go to crap.

CB - is a bit more of what i think they want not what i do mate, seems we tried for Koulibaly after all, and definitely tried for Kone, so obviously Koeman isn't happy with the choices, rather see Holgate get a decent run and see what the lads made off before spending silly money on some one myself though

Similarly with wingers - we have loads - but doesn't seem like besides for Bolasie Koeman is very happy with any of them and all f there from has gone to the dogs as well, noticable that both strikers we tried for where equally cmfortable playing wide as well

As i said though didn't put massive thought into exactly who as was just typing a quick one off my phone whilst having a smoke

Whose the semi consistent one? Only one is Deulofeu for 1/2 last season.

The rest, I agree are rubbish. Sell Bolasie, Lennon, Mirallas and McGeady.

Open your eyes Zat, Deulofeu will not make it here, it's blindingly obvious unless he changes his game more than i have ever seen another player do, everything he does badly are things that Koeman puts great store in his wide players doing well

Love him for the feeling of optimism he brought when he first arrived and then the second time for that great spell he had, but the early signs don't look good for him ever making it as mre than a player who bounces aroudn decent teams without ever making it there

Bolasie is very much a Koeman player btw, buig strong and fast and direct, now if only he could stop the rabonas and braindead decisions he sometimes makes...

Open your eyes Zat, Deulofeu will not make it here, it's blindingly obvious unless he changes his game more than i have ever seen another player do, everything he does badly are things that Koeman puts great store in his wide players doing well

Love him for the feeling of optimism he brought when he first arrived and then the second time for that great spell he had, but the early signs don't look good for him ever making it as mre than a player who bounces aroudn decent teams without ever making it there

Bolasie is very much a Koeman player btw, buig strong and fast and direct, now if only he could stop the rabonas and braindead decisions he sometimes makes...

He had a run of games laat season and was fantastic. Hes not even been given a few games starting ahead of Mirallas....its really poor from Koeman.

Bolasie is big, strong and direct...but sadly not very good. If Koeman is 'ruthless' he would drop him.

I knew you would reply about the paper!

How about the player?

....so how good is the player?

Acceleration and Pace is great, good dribbling skills, technical and can cause a bit of chaos for the enemys team defence.
Without doubt a great talent. Doubt he is a regular starter for us yet( could be good as a sub to be thrown in as an impact player), but certainly has the potential and skills to be a starter for us in the future. Would love us to sign him.

Acceleration and Pace is great, good dribbling skills, technical and can cause a bit of chaos for the enemys team defence.
Without doubt a great talent. Doubt he is a regular starter for us yet( could be good as a sub to be thrown in as an impact player), but certainly has the potential and skills to be a starter for us in the future. Would love us to sign him.

Do you reckon he's better than that Odegaard chap at Madrid?

The only 3 keepers we should be looking at signing in Jan are:

Pickford
Butland
Leno

Pickford - barring £30mil bid (at least) won't be going anywhere in Jan - he's Sunderland's best chance of survival.
Butland - similarly, just back from injury and won't be leaving half-way through the season.
Leno - signed a new six-year deal two months ago. Won't be leaving a CL club half-way through the season.

Face it Zat, we ain't getting a goalkeeper (from that list) in January

Depends what we attempt to do mate, IF we target the likes of Strootman and players of that ilk, at those types of clubs, and with the importance they have at those clubs, then will will get nothing worthwhilst in, they will either not be willing to sell, or will demand fees that we will back away from.

IF we actually think about it rather than try to play foty manager which is what we seemed to have done in the summer by and large then we could easily bring in a good number of players that would improve us a hell of a lot, with the added bonus of not wasting the STCC allowance afforded us by selling Stones

Mid table premiership teams for example WILL sell some of there better players - in summer or January it doesn't matter really, as they are in that comfort zone of not being enough to get top 4 and being too strong to go down, teams like Saints, Palace etc have in past years sold some of there better players during a January - Cabaye from Newcastle being another case of that - as indeed was our sale of Graveson years back to Madrid.

Some of the BIG teams, by January it will be abundantly clear to a fair few of those players that they don't have much of a future at the teams (especially now that most managers like Conte, Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola etc have had 6 months or more under their belts by then), same goes for teams across Europe as well, throw on top of that some teams like Inter are almost in meltdown - and are a good choice to try to go for players who maybe are looking at getting out of dodge so to speak.

Will probably get dgs for the first suggestion - but say Sturridge come January could be an option - same for Schneiderlin, Rooney, Begovic, Ramsey, etc, players who have either nt been given a chance or who have seen there roles diminished dramatically.

Pastore - dropped down the pecking order at PSG, Peresic out of favour at Inter (could change obviously with FDB leaving), although could say a fair few Inter players must be currently a bit unhappy given the mess the club is in from top to bottom, thats without getting silly and talking about out of favour Madrid players - who are simply out our league and a waste of time thinking about etc.

Imagine a Everton team in January, bringing in Sturridge, Peresic and say Schneiderlin and say Heaton and VVD - all makeable deals - would cost a fair amount, but not one of those players 'should' be out of our reach in terms of finances and being able to attract them here

Won't happen because the club either doesn't have the ambition stated it has, or is setting it's targets all wrong

None of those deals are make able bar Schneiderlin. You're living in dreamworld.

It has nothing to do with a lack of ambition. It's simply down to the fact that clubs don't let their best/most important players leave half-way through the campaign.

Also, I see above you say that Ramsey hasn't 'been given a chance'? He's been out injured for two months and came straight back into the squad on Sunday...

As you do correctly point out, some 'mid-table' sides may be lured into it, but none of the players you name fall into that bracket.

And dear me, Sturridge? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back