Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trick is getting one big name player and others will sit up and take interest.

Failing that then you need to go for the overseas clubs (like you say) who either arent playing someone or arent doing well.

Theres plenty of players we could sign as long as we pay the money and Moshiri has said that money isnt an issue and we matched £60mil for Koulibaly so we must spend big in Jan.

I can almost guarantee we won't be spending a huge amount. We may spend £30mil net (in fact, I'd be hopeful of that) - and hopefully that's split between 2/3 players that we need for key positions.

That, and shipping out more of the deadwood, and I'll be happy.

Perhaps this january will end up being us selling lukaku, spending only the lukaku money and then releasing a statement in february (season ticket time) talking up how this summer will be the time we finally go and sign some boss players.

Even better if we ended up saying we didn't need another striker as we have 3 on the books already.

Perhaps this january will end up being us selling lukaku, spending only the lukaku money and then releasing a statement in february (season ticket time) talking up how this summer will be the time we finally go and sign some boss players.

Even better if we ended up saying we didn't need another striker as we have 3 on the books already.

...I'm trying to get my head around the fair play rules. As far as I can see there would be no advantage to selling him in January. Sounds like PSG are planning a bid. From what I can see, a summer sale provides significant salary scope for incoming moves next season.

None of those deals are make able bar Schneiderlin. You're living in dreamworld.

It has nothing to do with a lack of ambition. It's simply down to the fact that clubs don't let their best/most important players leave half-way through the campaign.

Also, I see above you say that Ramsey hasn't 'been given a chance'? He's been out injured for two months and came straight back into the squad on Sunday...

As you do correctly point out, some 'mid-table' sides may be lured into it, but none of the players you name fall into that bracket.

And dear me, Sturridge? Really?

We let Graveson go mid season mate, nearly derailed our season and we only got a relatively minor fee to do so as well
Newcastle let Cabaye go mid season to PSG when they where flying in the league and they had a terrible second half of the season afterwards

yeah does it negatively impact a team when they let someone go whos a mainstay mid season - no doubt, does it happen, yes and thats my point, it does happen and teams will do because frankly mney talks to a lot of owners and teams

as for none of the ones i mention being at mid table sides

VVD is at Saints - currently 10th
Heaton at Burnley - currently 9th
Peresic at Inter - currently 10th
Schneiderlin you say is realistic
and Sturridge you say is unrealsitic and wouldnt want him anyway, yeah is he injury prone, for sure, is he a million miles better than anythign we have besides Lukaku - yup, or would you rather have a 38 game available Kone or Valencia or Naisee or Sturridge available for 20-25 games?
Rooney not a doable deal - why? Mourinho wouldn't let him go as he is to important to the team or something?

btw Ramsay won't start for a fully fit Arsenal side anymore - he's a squad player for them now

...I'm trying to get my head around the fair play rules. As far as I can see there would be no advantage to selling him in January. Sounds like PSG are planning a bid. From what I can see, a summer sale provides significant salary scope for incoming moves next season.
You could say the same about stones mate and look what happened. From what i understand we have loads of spare wages we can offer but decided to give inflated contracts to the likes of bolasie and spend actually nothing in the process. So as much as there is no point in selling rom, could you put it past the club to then spend 60 million in january on 3-4 players just to try and appease fans? Seeing as though that is kinda what we do most of the time.

None of those deals are make able bar Schneiderlin. You're living in dreamworld.

It has nothing to do with a lack of ambition. It's simply down to the fact that clubs don't let their best/most important players leave half-way through the campaign.

Also, I see above you say that Ramsey hasn't 'been given a chance'? He's been out injured for two months and came straight back into the squad on Sunday...

As you do correctly point out, some 'mid-table' sides may be lured into it, but none of the players you name fall into that bracket.

And dear me, Sturridge? Really?
I agree and I think we'll have to look at bigger clubs players who aren't getting a game, maybe back in for Brahimi from Porto (if we were ever in for him in the first place) as apparently he isn't playing much and maybe Schneiderlin, but would Man Utd want to sell to a team they are challenging with half way through the season? unless they get another midfielder I doubt it.

I think it will be difficult for us to strengthen first team positions, but we definitely need to so it will cost a lot.

Good God man.

Sturridge?!?!?

We need a striker, not sure somebody who would cost around 40m and has had a few injury niggles would be my choice, even ignoring his stupid dance.

Do we really need ANOTHER winger? I know Peresic is very good, but another winger is not really what we need IMO.

A player like The Stroot, Schneiderlin defo.

Agree we need a GK.

Not convinced we need a CB.

Think its unrealistic for us to buy 4 first team players in January personally.

We need to add some attacking creative threat for damn sure tho.
Defo need playmaker and back up striker. Anything else in Jan is a bonus.

The summer window is a different matter entirely.

We let Graveson go mid season mate, nearly derailed our season and we only got a relatively minor fee to do so as well
Newcastle let Cabaye go mid season to PSG when they where flying in the league and they had a terrible second half of the season afterwards

yeah does it negatively impact a team when they let someone go whos a mainstay mid season - no doubt, does it happen, yes and thats my point, it does happen and teams will do because frankly mney talks to a lot of owners and teams

as for none of the ones i mention being at mid table sides

VVD is at Saints - currently 10th
Heaton at Burnley - currently 9th
Peresic at Inter - currently 10th
Schneiderlin you say is realistic
and Sturridge you say is unrealsitic and wouldnt want him anyway, yeah is he injury prone, for sure, is he a million miles better than anythign we have besides Lukaku - yup, or would you rather have a 38 game available Kone or Valencia or Naisee or Sturridge available for 20-25 games?
Rooney not a doable deal - why? Mourinho wouldn't let him go as he is to important to the team or something?

btw Ramsay won't start for a fully fit Arsenal side anymore - he's a squad player for them now

We let Graveson go as he had 6 months left on his deal and it was Real Madrid coming for him.

Newcastle weren't flying mate - they were 10th/11th at the time - though yes they did have a crap season after that.

But, okay, let's look at those players you name:

VVD - Saints - 10th: Their best player. They are 10th but 2 points behind us in 7th. They know they are in with a shout for top 7. They aren't going to sell unless it's a huge money offer and, from the players view, he'd be much more likely to hold on for a move to a club already in the CL come the summer than jump early in January.

Heaton - Let's face it, they're unlikely to be 9th for long. They'll still be in a relegation scrap and Heaton could be the difference between them going down and staying up (which is worth approx 100mil per-season). So the choice is, sell their goalkeeper (and best player) for what, £15mil, and risk going down. Or, keep him... It's a pretty simple choice mate... Same goes for Pickford IMO.

Perisic - Yep, he's one you could see moving on in January. That being said, he left Wolfsburg (at that stage in the CL) because he wanted to move to Inter as it was/is such a huge club.

Schneiderlin - yes, it's a good shout (and one that I see as being very likely). As you say, not getting a look-in, but a proven player and one that fits Koeman's style perfectly. No brainer, for me - and I'd like to think that if he's a realistic option (there could well be other factors in play here) that we'd be in for him.

Rooney - oh, definitely doable... But, and I suppose the same goes for Schneiderlin here, would Mourinho let him go to us should we both be level on points (As we are now) come January?

Oh yeh, agree on Sturridge. But he's a tit and a kopite and we wouldn't go near him. West Ham written all over him. We don't buy players from Liverpool and they don't buy players from us...

And Ramsey may 'just' be a squad player, but given how much Cazorla is injured, he's probably very likely to play. In fact, he'll play at least 30 times for Arsenal, recently signed a new deal, and has been handed their No.8 shirt as a sign of his importance in the squad...

I respect you Stevon. You're a great poster, and it's good that you're back (on Everton forum).

You could say the same about stones mate and look what happened. From what i understand we have loads of spare wages we can offer but decided to give inflated contracts to the likes of bolasie and spend actually nothing in the process. So as much as there is no point in selling rom, could you put it past the club to then spend 60 million in january on 3-4 players just to try and appease fans? Seeing as though that is kinda what we do most of the time.

...I'd like to think we'll bring players in to improve the team rather than appease fans. There clearly needs a rebuild, it's down to the skill of the manager and SW to make that happen successfully. It's a major challenge. I honestly don't have a view on whether they are up to achieving the objective.

I agree and I think we'll have to look at bigger clubs players who aren't getting a game, maybe back in for Brahimi from Porto (if we were ever in for him in the first place) as apparently he isn't playing much and maybe Schneiderlin, but would Man Utd want to sell to a team they are challenging with half way through the season? unless they get another midfielder I doubt it.

I think it will be difficult for us to strengthen first team positions, but we definitely need to so it will cost a lot.

As I've said in my reply to Steve I agree totally on Schneiderlin (though yes, if we are going head-to-head with Utd by Jan it could be an issue).

Brahimi - potentially yes (IF we were in for him). That being said, he'll be off to the AFCON for a month, so by the time he's back and fully fit and then matched up to the Premier League intensity, we're gonna be looking at April.

God, we're gonna miss Gueye when he goes, though. Definitely need a midfielder in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back