Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then again mate can argue the fact in a squad which was disintegrating bringing in players of a currently peak age is a very good way to stabalise the squad initially, IF it continues that only 27+ age players are bought then yeah can be a problem down the road, but as a club we seem to still be targetting players under 21 for the academy who are quickly processed into the first team, Galloway, DCL and holgate, each of whom would if we wish (DLC aside as he's still unproven really) give a substantial profit in a few years time should we wish to sell

Agreed that it's important to strike the right balance, and there was a real need for a veteran to stabilize the defense. In that regard, each signing must be weighed on its own merits. Even when looking at the big picture, you can get away with selling a 22-year old for four or five players aged 27-33. You can create a solid two or three year window that way, but it's not the most optimal strategy for long-term health.

I'm not arguing this point with you or @bluestevon. Analytics/Moneyball research should be treated like your sense of smell. It tips you off that there's something you don't see but should go look for (like a possible fire).

My primary point was that yes, Schneiderlin would be a good signing for the squad. But if Everton continue to invest mostly in players who have no sell-on value, in a few years they're going to have an old squad with little financial flexibility to get around FFP rules.

Your analysis and prognosis is a reasonable one. However clubs buying and selling strategies don't exist in a vacuum nor do they have limitless amount of capital to spend. If we had both of those things, of course all you would do is buy the best 18 year olds and train them up.

The reality is, there are varying costs for players. We like every other clubs also have to work within a budget. The smart way to operate is to try and identify where value is. Most clubs are looking to sign younger players and it has inflated the market substantially, meaning there is some value to be had with players who are a bit older. I think Schneiderlin falls into that category. I also think Williams does, and so too does Fonte at 5 million pounds.

When you consider what Tompkins went for or Stones it's hard not to say Williams is an astute buy. At 27 all of the studies you produced showed that players still have 3-4 years of performance above that of a 23 year old remaining. At the prices we are being quoted it makes sense to do business. In all honesty we couldn't afford a lad with Schneiderlin, Williams, Bolasie or Gueyes ability who was 23 or under. So we either sign inferior players or players we can buy now and hope to continue to make money from our academy/other avenues.

No point looking at videos of Morgs (yes, cba with his second name and i'd rather avoid a reply of Wes morgan).. in a United shirt, he has time to pick his pass. his performances in a saints shirt where he will be pressed is what we should be looking at.

Talking to a couple of people last night there seemed a lot of confidence that the targets identified were looking promising. Intention is to deal as early as possible with ideally 5 in and a similar number departing.

Finance is not an issue, there's no requirement to sell to buy but there is a recognition that there are too many drawing wages who are not contributing and won't contribute in the future.

As mentioned a couple of weeks ago, two pieces of incoming business from Manchester United in Schneiderlin and Depay.

Pickford is high on the radar.

Ive already said 5 Ins.

No point looking at videos of Morgs (yes, cba with his second name and i'd rather avoid a reply of Wes morgan).. in a United shirt, he has time to pick his pass. his performances in a saints shirt where he will be pressed is what we should be looking at.

and he was class for Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back