Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not what I'm saying at all.

Any team in any sport in any competition should strive to be able to identify undervalued players and help them develop them to reach their full potential. Players like Gana and N'Golo Kante are good examples.

Well we have done this for years, I see no reason why we would change, players like Besic, Geri, Galloway, Holgate, Stones, Magaye Gueye, DCL, Shani to name but a few.

Well we have done this for years, I see no reason why we would change, players like Besic, Geri, Galloway, Holgate, Stones, Magaye Gueye, DCL, Shani to name but a few.

Right, and those will always represent a smart investment, even if 4 out of 5 fail.

More immediately though, Everton should be able to identify players in that 21-24 age range that are capable of stepping in right away, but also have significant untapped potential. Sort of similar to signing Baines.

RB Leipzig are a decent-ish example. They targeted talented players 20-23 years old with some Bundesliga experience, and turned them into a very good football team. You can't do the same thing at a similar cost with PL experience, but with a wider net anything is possible.

Do any laws work in Louisiana?

iLkb7kt.gif

Right, and those will always represent a smart investment, even if 4 out of 5 fail.

More immediately though, Everton should be able to identify players in that 21-24 age range that are capable of stepping in right away, but also have significant untapped potential. Sort of similar to signing Baines.

RB Leipzig are a decent-ish example. They targeted talented players 20-23 years old with some Bundesliga experience, and turned them into a very good football team. You can't do the same thing at a similar cost with PL experience, but with a wider net anything is possible.

Im sure Walsh is having a look, I mean theres the links to that Lookman fella, but even hes gonna cost us 11m, could we find a cheaper player in Europe or South America? Hell yeah, we could buy 5 or 6 for that.

Despite my words, I do see the "value" in buying youth, but after Martinez spending 100m on 22 players, its only the big signings that have come good, Lukaku and McCarthy, think currently we are looking at mainly players that can come in and hit the ground running.

Im sure we will look to the future with certain signings if not in Jan, then certainly the Summer and going forward.

Im sure Walsh is having a look, I mean theres the links to that Lookman fella, but even hes gonna cost us 11m, could we find a cheaper player in Europe or South America? Hell yeah, we could buy 5 or 6 for that.

Despite my words, I do see the "value" in buying youth, but after Martinez spending 100m on 22 players, its only the big signings that have come good, Lukaku and McCarthy, think currently we are looking at mainly players that can come in and hit the ground running.

Im sure we will look to the future with certain signings if not in Jan, then certainly the Summer and going forward.

All true.

My initial point, the one that started the conversation, was that only buying players 27 and above, who have 3-5 year windows of productivity and no sell-on value, is a good way to find yourself in trouble in 3-5 years. DCL may turn into a regular first-teamer, but for now, Schneiderlin would be the youngest squad regular signed during the Koeman/Walsh/Moshiri era.

By all means, sign Schneiderlin, but don't follow up it by spending the rest of their budget on a 28-year old striker.

All true.

My initial point, the one that started the conversation, was that only buying players 27 and above, who have 3-5 year windows of productivity and no sell-on value, is a good way to find yourself in trouble in 3-5 years. DCL may turn into a regular first-teamer, but for now, Schneiderlin would be the youngest squad regular signed during the Koeman/Walsh/Moshiri era.

By all means, sign Schneiderlin, but don't follow up it by spending the rest of their budget on a 28-year old striker.

Well not to pick holes, but Gana was only 26. :p:p:p

We have an aging squad, it will be addressed, I think last window and this window is all about adding quality to the first 11 and options, I would imagine the Summer will be about the "future", if a few people on a forum can see the potential for mayhem, you can bet Walsh and others in charge of the club can see it.

Plus, we do have a few very promising youth players, Holgate, Galloway, Davies have all proven that they dont look out of place in the first team, so its not all totally Dads army.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back