Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many possibilities with signings you could spend forever running the rule over players, 99% of whom we won't be interested in or won't sign.

For me its the type of players we need, I'm sure it's similar for Walsh and Koeman. Aside from what we could perhaps all agree on, the need for so-called "quality" players with a footballing brain and ability to pick a pass, preferably in the centre, and a 2nd striker, a goalkeeper and another CB, the squad at present is glaringly lacking in players with enough of the following attributes;

Pace
Athleticism
Strength
Offensive Aerial Ability
Work Rate
Mental Toughness
Leadership

Some of the above are essentials and even obvious, rather than being nice to have but the thing that stands out for me with this squad is that it is behind the times in terms of how the game is evolving and how Koeman wants to play. Clearly there remains a hangover from the Martinez' era in how pedestrian our play is much of the time, it surely can no longer be down to fitness levels for the most part - but individual players would not or could not keep pace with their counterparts last Saturday, even apart from quality, the teams looked worlds apart in levels of effort and application. That is deeply worrying.

He can't do a clear-out overnight, but considering the number of players past their natural best, and others of frankly poor/average ability levels, this is a great opportunity for a complete overhaul of the squad over the next 2 1/2 years.

If the squad isn't 70% different then to now, it will be a wasted opportunity and/or signify a corporate lack of leadership in supporting the manager.

The summer was strange. We were after top players like Koulibaly and Witsel who have most if not all the items on your list...but were also after Gabbidini and Sissoko who are plain awful.

Strange approach.

The summer was strange. We were after top players like Koulibaly and Witsel who have most if not all the items on your list...but were also after Gabbidini and Sissoko who are plain awful.

Strange approach.

as were spurs...

know nothing about gabbiadini

Mourinho usually loves players like him so perhaps somethings missing from his game?

Is he the one dating the shop assistant he met in one of the manchester stores?

Not got a clue who he's dating mate.

And I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it's just form.

He was good at S'ton under Poch but he improved so much in his season under Koeman.

Whereas before he was solely a defensive mid, he became much more 'box-to-box' under Koeman.

I kind of feel he's regressed back to being a defensive mid at Utd. If there's a chance we could get him and since it's a player Koeman knows, has worked with before and there are no hard feeling between them, it seems perfect to get him in if possible.

Mourinho usually loves players like him so perhaps somethings missing from his game?

Is he the one dating the shop assistant he met in one of the manchester stores?

Aye mate he is, he also drives a mini as well lol

and no idea why Mourinho hasn't ever given him a chance, he's comfortably as good (better) as Matic IMO who Mourinho made a mainstay of his Chelsea team, i know spurs have been interested for a whilst as well, but presumably we could actually offer him guaranteed almost first team footy unlike them (where he'd have to be a squad player with there depth there)

as were spurs...

know nothing about gabbiadini

He looks like he could be a good player but never does much other than whack the ball with his left foot or get caught offside Inzaghi style...was ok for Samp but Napoli should sell him as he doesnt suit them at all.

Not got a clue who he's dating mate.

And I'm honestly not sure. Maybe it's just form.

He was good at S'ton under Poch but he improved so much in his season under Koeman.

Whereas before he was solely a defensive mid, he became much more 'box-to-box' under Koeman.

I kind of feel he's regressed back to being a defensive mid at Utd. If there's a chance we could get him and since it's a player Koeman knows, has worked with before and there are no hard feeling between them, it seems perfect to get him in if possible.

Aye Zat was right mate

The papers in the summer and now are running that theres interest from spurs in him as well as palace, presumably the spurs interest comes with a pinch of salt though as they had a few in that position before the sumer and then bought both sissoko who can play there (badly) and wanyama as well - which means he'd be moving to a situation arguably harder to break into midfield at than at united... but guess thats because both Poch and Pardew have managed him before etc, so feel pretty sure we will get linked in with those soon enough

Right about how his game came on a lot under Koeman though, didn't see anyone better than him that season in the league position wise

Aye mate he is, he also drives a mini as well lol

and no idea why Mourinho hasn't ever given him a chance, he's comfortably as good (better) as Matic IMO who Mourinho made a mainstay of his Chelsea team, i know spurs have been interested for a whilst as well, but presumably we could actually offer him guaranteed almost first team footy unlike them (where he'd have to be a squad player with there depth there)

Are Chelsea playing Kante and Matic together? Perhaps that could be us with Gueye and Schneiderlin...not really seen schneiderlin as i didnt watch him much at saints as koeman was manager there ;)

Are Chelsea playing Kante and Matic together? Perhaps that could be us with Gueye and Schneiderlin...not really seen schneiderlin as i didnt watch him much at saints as koeman was manager there ;)

Ofc Chelsea are Zat they just bummed us everywhere with them playing together :P

If Gueye is partnered with someone who compliments him and has a good engine etc - then it would be a very very good centre mid

Schneiderlin and Gueye sounds pretty good to me.

I don't recall there being any bad blood between Koeman and him when he left Saints so maybe, just maybe.

Ofc Chelsea are Zat they just bummed us everywhere with them playing together :p

If Gueye is partnered with someone who compliments him and has a good engine etc - then it would be a very very good centre mid

Im trying to forget that game mate and tbh our midfield was so poor it made their players a blur :)

Schneiderlin and Gueye sounds pretty good to me.

I don't recall there being any bad blood between Koeman and him when he left Saints so maybe, just maybe.

“I hope the reaction to [Schneiderlin] is a positive one,” said Koeman. “He did everything for the club, he had a great time in Southampton and was ready for the next step. I think we have to receive the player like we normally do with other players. How the fans react to Rickie Lambert is what you expect of fans receiving those who did everything for the club in a very positive way, I hope.”

“It’s difficult always to say that it’s not possible to leave the club but to tell him twice is impossible,” said Koeman. “We had a very good relationship after the difficult summer that we had at the club. His reaction was fantastic. He had a big part in a big season last year and it’s best for him and for the player, that’s the important thing. He’s now player for Manchester United and I wish him the best – but not on Sunday.”

was Koemans quotes prior to united southampton mate - so doesnt look like theres any bad blood, and seems also that the club blocked the first move when Koeman arrived and koeman allowed him to leave the second time, so honoured his word etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back