Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not a prisoner. He's also been quite vocal regarding a move away. If we can make money from his sale, we have too.

It's really that simple.

keep hold of your better players is simple though isn't. Especially as we aren't meant to be in a position where we need to sell to buy. Maybe im wrong.

Its pointless to sign anyone other than those 4 in quality so we should be actively "tapping them up" now with the promise of a £30mil bid on its way and hefty £££ salary.

Then lets see what happens when they kick up a storm and put in transfer requests...i can see all of those sides selling to 'The mighty Ev'

Well, I mean it's not pointless whatsoever. I'm sure Koeman and Walsh have targets in mind. Just because they're not on your list doesn't mean they aren't good players...

keep hold of your better players is simple though isn't. Especially as we aren't meant to be in a position where we need to sell to buy. Maybe im wrong.

United weren't in a position where they had to sell to buy when Ronaldo left, same with Spurs and Bale, or Suarez and the RS.

Admittedly, all of those players were a class above Rom when they left, but the principle is the same. He'd only leave for a huge fee and to a big European/Prem club who can offer CL.

United weren't in a position where they had to sell to buy when Ronaldo left, same with Spurs and Bale, or Suarez and the RS.

Admittedly, all of those players were a class above Rom when they left, but the principle is the same. He'd only leave for a huge fee and to a big European/Prem club who can offer CL.

suppose its one of those where you look at our situation at the end of the season. We won't get champions league and a striker of rom's capability should be playing in the champions league. Agree with your point regarding Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez. If he's sold the money will be big, Everton will want a big profit.

Good to be back mate, real life being busy made me take a bit of a break from the net ;)

All fair points from you, and my own personal opinion is Mourinho won't give a flying one about where United are in relation to us, he won't now and will never see us as a rival to a team he manages, thats just his mentality, i doubt when he loks at a league table he sees more than 5 clubs names as relevant to him. Selling Mata to united kind of proves that point when he was at Cheslea he didnt deem them a rival, sellign Lukaku to us, Sturridge to Liverpool (bvelieve that was him) etc all show he doesn't care if he doesn't deem a player god enough for him where they end up really

As for buying from Liverpool and vise versa, not for a whilst ofc (think Barmby was the last to make that move) but i remember when it wasn't like that and see no reason why we shouldn't if we want him, and we badly need someone who is clinical as we have one genuine scorer in the entire squad - also Sturridge being a blert with that dance - but he's apparently a pretty sound bloke that aside, he made the move and started slotting for us i honestly wouldn't care he played for them once.

Rooney on loan makes sense in regards to us and STCC and not wasting a lot of potential, rather not buy him though as ya never know if he will end up a Gascoigne/Ginola/Eto'o mark 2, loan and then buy if he shows us moving here rolls the clock back

as for the likes of VVD, Heaton etc, then yeah may be very difficult/impossible, but rather try for those than play pie in the sky going after Koulibaly in the sumer when we knew Cheslea wanted him and that Napoli didnt need to sell after sellign there striker to Juve, that was an unrealistic and stupid waste of time as was never ever going to end up a good outcome for us.

probably right about Ramsay, under a different manager i think we could do though, but Wenger is a massive fan of his so he probably will come back into the team at the first chance (not neccesarily a smart move as they have played better with him out the team)

As i said to Goat though, i was just throwing some names that came to the top of my head rather than trying to think in detail about exactly who we could target in january that is a realistic buy - and can guarantee that should we do that then the list will be a lot longer than people would think - the January a difficult month to do any deals is just wrong, it's a good excuse though to not do deals - and lets face it very few clubs by January are in a position that they need to bring in multiple playes like we seem to be - and owners dont sanction it usually because - by January the difference they will make for 'that' season will likely not change things more than a few league spots and less at the very top.
Wasn't Abel Xavier the last one to make that move mate?

Remember us getting Sheedy from them in the eighties. All my RS mates said they cba as he would never get a regular game with them as they had Ronnie Whelan. I know which I'd prefer.

apart from the fact barry is always fit to play every game and scweinsteiger, well, to be nice, isn't fit to play every game.

Yeh granted.

I meant more in terms of playing style though - both very good players when they can get their foot on the ball and are always in the right position, but lack the pace to play the high-energy game without being carried by somebody next to them.

Wasn't Abel Xavier the last one to make that move mate?

Remember us getting Sheedy from them in the eighties. All my RS mates said they cba as he would never get a regular game with them as they had Ronnie Whelan. I know which I'd prefer.

shows how daft they are, they were both able to play in the same ireland teams!

There are so many possibilities with signings you could spend forever running the rule over players, 99% of whom we won't be interested in or won't sign.

For me its the type of players we need, I'm sure it's similar for Walsh and Koeman. Aside from what we could perhaps all agree on, the need for so-called "quality" players with a footballing brain and ability to pick a pass, preferably in the centre, and a 2nd striker, a goalkeeper and another CB, the squad at present is glaringly lacking in players with enough of the following attributes;

Pace
Athleticism
Strength
Offensive Aerial Ability
Work Rate
Mental Toughness
Leadership

Some of the above are essentials and even obvious, rather than being nice to have but the thing that stands out for me with this squad is that it is behind the times in terms of how the game is evolving and how Koeman wants to play. Clearly there remains a hangover from the Martinez' era in how pedestrian our play is much of the time, it surely can no longer be down to fitness levels for the most part - but individual players would not or could not keep pace with their counterparts last Saturday, even apart from quality, the teams looked worlds apart in levels of effort and application. That is deeply worrying.

He can't do a clear-out overnight, but considering the number of players past their natural best, and others of frankly poor/average ability levels, this is a great opportunity for a complete overhaul of the squad over the next 2 1/2 years.

If the squad isn't 70% different then to now, it will be a wasted opportunity and/or signify a corporate lack of leadership in supporting the manager.

Not really. If a player is good enough now to play for a CL team, then he will want to play for a CL team, especially since he's stated that desire season after season. He will look at our squad and feel it's not good enough. He gave Koeman another season to see what could happen and unfortunately for us, we haven't seen the spend on players that we (and Lukaku) expected. We are not in a position to offer CL football, nor will we be for a good few seasons to come and even that is wishful thinking.

Just because we don't have to sell to buy doesn't mean we can build a squad capable of pushing for CL football. There are many factors involved. It doesn't help that our red neighbours appear to be a more attractive prospect currently.

I hate to say it, but I don't think we'll get another season out of Lukaku. I hope I'm wrong.

My only hope is that Van Dijk had a positive experience working with Koeman and he'd like to work with him again

I think the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea will be after Van Dijk when he moves. Possibly Arsenal as well. I'd love for him to sign for Everton but I can't see it happening.

You're not wrong mate. In the ideal world that's exactly what we would do.

Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is we are not that rich that we can afford to run his contract down, and we can't force the lad to sign a new contract, as much as I wish he would. With two years left we still should be able to get a good price for him, especially if there are multiple clubs after his signature. It doesn't help that we have a manager who apparently considers it acceptable for the club to be used as a stepping stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back