Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We let Graveson go as he had 6 months left on his deal and it was Real Madrid coming for him.

Newcastle weren't flying mate - they were 10th/11th at the time - though yes they did have a crap season after that.

But, okay, let's look at those players you name:

VVD - Saints - 10th: Their best player. They are 10th but 2 points behind us in 7th. They know they are in with a shout for top 7. They aren't going to sell unless it's a huge money offer and, from the players view, he'd be much more likely to hold on for a move to a club already in the CL come the summer than jump early in January.

Heaton - Let's face it, they're unlikely to be 9th for long. They'll still be in a relegation scrap and Heaton could be the difference between them going down and staying up (which is worth approx 100mil per-season). So the choice is, sell their goalkeeper (and best player) for what, £15mil, and risk going down. Or, keep him... It's a pretty simple choice mate... Same goes for Pickford IMO.

Perisic - Yep, he's one you could see moving on in January. That being said, he left Wolfsburg (at that stage in the CL) because he wanted to move to Inter as it was/is such a huge club.

Schneiderlin - yes, it's a good shout (and one that I see as being very likely). As you say, not getting a look-in, but a proven player and one that fits Koeman's style perfectly. No brainer, for me - and I'd like to think that if he's a realistic option (there could well be other factors in play here) that we'd be in for him.

Rooney - oh, definitely doable... But, and I suppose the same goes for Schneiderlin here, would Mourinho let him go to us should we both be level on points (As we are now) come January?

Oh yeh, agree on Sturridge. But he's a tit and a kopite and we wouldn't go near him. West Ham written all over him. We don't buy players from Liverpool and they don't buy players from us...

And Ramsey may 'just' be a squad player, but given how much Cazorla is injured, he's probably very likely to play. In fact, he'll play at least 30 times for Arsenal, recently signed a new deal, and has been handed their No.8 shirt as a sign of his importance in the squad...

I respect you Stevon. You're a great poster, and it's good that you're back (on Everton forum).
Very good post Toff. Agree with basically everything you say. I can also see why Steven took some exception to your original response. Good follow up though mate.

be honest if your talking WBA, i'd rather have Rondon. 1 in 3 striker, and think he would offer a physical presence up front with Rom. Not a mind blowing signing but hell of a lot better than what we have.

We let Graveson go as he had 6 months left on his deal and it was Real Madrid coming for him.

Newcastle weren't flying mate - they were 10th/11th at the time - though yes they did have a crap season after that.

But, okay, let's look at those players you name:

VVD - Saints - 10th: Their best player. They are 10th but 2 points behind us in 7th. They know they are in with a shout for top 7. They aren't going to sell unless it's a huge money offer and, from the players view, he'd be much more likely to hold on for a move to a club already in the CL come the summer than jump early in January.

Heaton - Let's face it, they're unlikely to be 9th for long. They'll still be in a relegation scrap and Heaton could be the difference between them going down and staying up (which is worth approx 100mil per-season). So the choice is, sell their goalkeeper (and best player) for what, £15mil, and risk going down. Or, keep him... It's a pretty simple choice mate... Same goes for Pickford IMO.

Perisic - Yep, he's one you could see moving on in January. That being said, he left Wolfsburg (at that stage in the CL) because he wanted to move to Inter as it was/is such a huge club.

Schneiderlin - yes, it's a good shout (and one that I see as being very likely). As you say, not getting a look-in, but a proven player and one that fits Koeman's style perfectly. No brainer, for me - and I'd like to think that if he's a realistic option (there could well be other factors in play here) that we'd be in for him.

Rooney - oh, definitely doable... But, and I suppose the same goes for Schneiderlin here, would Mourinho let him go to us should we both be level on points (As we are now) come January?

Oh yeh, agree on Sturridge. But he's a tit and a kopite and we wouldn't go near him. West Ham written all over him. We don't buy players from Liverpool and they don't buy players from us...

And Ramsey may 'just' be a squad player, but given how much Cazorla is injured, he's probably very likely to play. In fact, he'll play at least 30 times for Arsenal, recently signed a new deal, and has been handed their No.8 shirt as a sign of his importance in the squad...

I respect you Stevon. You're a great poster, and it's good that you're back (on Everton forum).

Good to be back mate, real life being busy made me take a bit of a break from the net ;)

All fair points from you, and my own personal opinion is Mourinho won't give a flying one about where United are in relation to us, he won't now and will never see us as a rival to a team he manages, thats just his mentality, i doubt when he loks at a league table he sees more than 5 clubs names as relevant to him. Selling Mata to united kind of proves that point when he was at Cheslea he didnt deem them a rival, sellign Lukaku to us, Sturridge to Liverpool (bvelieve that was him) etc all show he doesn't care if he doesn't deem a player god enough for him where they end up really

As for buying from Liverpool and vise versa, not for a whilst ofc (think Barmby was the last to make that move) but i remember when it wasn't like that and see no reason why we shouldn't if we want him, and we badly need someone who is clinical as we have one genuine scorer in the entire squad - also Sturridge being a blert with that dance - but he's apparently a pretty sound bloke that aside, he made the move and started slotting for us i honestly wouldn't care he played for them once.

Rooney on loan makes sense in regards to us and STCC and not wasting a lot of potential, rather not buy him though as ya never know if he will end up a Gascoigne/Ginola/Eto'o mark 2, loan and then buy if he shows us moving here rolls the clock back

as for the likes of VVD, Heaton etc, then yeah may be very difficult/impossible, but rather try for those than play pie in the sky going after Koulibaly in the sumer when we knew Cheslea wanted him and that Napoli didnt need to sell after sellign there striker to Juve, that was an unrealistic and stupid waste of time as was never ever going to end up a good outcome for us.

probably right about Ramsay, under a different manager i think we could do though, but Wenger is a massive fan of his so he probably will come back into the team at the first chance (not neccesarily a smart move as they have played better with him out the team)

As i said to Goat though, i was just throwing some names that came to the top of my head rather than trying to think in detail about exactly who we could target in january that is a realistic buy - and can guarantee that should we do that then the list will be a lot longer than people would think - the January a difficult month to do any deals is just wrong, it's a good excuse though to not do deals - and lets face it very few clubs by January are in a position that they need to bring in multiple playes like we seem to be - and owners dont sanction it usually because - by January the difference they will make for 'that' season will likely not change things more than a few league spots and less at the very top.

Good God man.

Sturridge?!?!?

We need a striker, not sure somebody who would cost around 40m and has had a few injury niggles would be my choice, even ignoring his stupid dance.

Do we really need ANOTHER winger? I know Peresic is very good, but another winger is not really what we need IMO.

A player like The Stroot, Schneiderlin defo.

Agree we need a GK.

Not convinced we need a CB.

Think its unrealistic for us to buy 4 first team players in January personally.

We need to add some attacking creative threat for damn sure tho.
Don't need a CB? Jags finished mori not good enough imo

And again we don't need wingers. Mirralas & Lennon will be gone by next season both offer nothing. To be fair Lennon not had a LPG of chances this year. But he's. It good enough.

And geri is massively under pressure this season, I don't believe RK thinks he's got the heart for the fight

be a tough task to keep hold of him. Personally i'd make sure he signs a big contract now just so we can get big money for him. Lets be honest contracts don't mean the player stays for longer, just means they will be sold for more
Think we'll still get big money in the summer whether he signs new contract or not. I'd like him to sign a new contract as it means we'll at least have a chance of holding on to him. Financially we cant run his contract down below 2 years.

Don't need a CB? Jags finished mori not good enough imo

And again we don't need wingers. Mirralas & Lennon will be gone by next season both offer nothing. To be fair Lennon not had a LPG of chances this year. But he's. It good enough.

And geri is massively under pressure this season, I don't believe RK thinks he's got the heart for the fight
We need all those things and more mate but I just can't see it happening in Jan. Think we need to prioritise and I'd focus on playmaker and back up strker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back