Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford - barring £30mil bid (at least) won't be going anywhere in Jan - he's Sunderland's best chance of survival.
Butland - similarly, just back from injury and won't be leaving half-way through the season.
Leno - signed a new six-year deal two months ago. Won't be leaving a CL club half-way through the season.

Face it Zat, we ain't getting a goalkeeper (from that list) in January

Sunderland may well be massively adrift by Jan...I think £30mil to them and they may take it rather than see lower bids after their doom.

Stoke have had an injured butland and i think that £30mil on the table and he may fancy a change of scenery.

Leno will surely have a buyout and again they wouldnt refuse good money offers

I forgot Sergio Rico as well...

Sunderland may well be massively adrift by Jan...I think £30mil to them and they may take it rather than see lower bids after their doom.

Stoke have had an injured butland and i think that £30mil on the table and he may fancy a change of scenery.

Leno will surely have a buyout and again they wouldnt refuse good money offers

I forgot Sergio Rico as well...

I agree with you on that point about Pickford mate. He'd be the one I'd go for.

In fact, all of the keepers you named are brilliant - I just don't see it likely that they will be going anywhere in the middle of the season. In fact, when was the last time a quality first-choice goalkeeper moved half-way through a campaign?

The fact remains that if a keeper is good, and plays for a decent side (or even, a stuggling side that still has chance of survival and that keeper may well be the difference between staying up and going down) then they aren't selling them in January.

The highest quality I feel we could be looking at is somebody of Vorm/Begovic ilk (if we were to go down that route in January).

Very adequate goalkeepers who are second choice as it stands, basically, but would be good enough to improve our starting XI as it stands.

Or, the alternative of course, is wait until the summer with what we have in that position, and then make a move for a quality keeper (like a Leno, Heaton or Sommer etc.) who are first-choice at their respective clubs.

Seen we got linked with Schweinsteiger whilst same article linked palace with Schneiderlin, now that would be criminal if that happened

Yeh... luckily I think it was the Mirror...

Schweinsteiger is basically Barry, but three years younger. He isn't going to play a high-intensity game in terms of being able to get about the pitch.

Schneiderling for me seems the ideal long-term replacement for Barry, but is also energetic enough to play the box-to-box role.

I agree with you on that point about Pickford mate. He'd be the one I'd go for.

In fact, all of the keepers you named are brilliant - I just don't see it likely that they will be going anywhere in the middle of the season. In fact, when was the last time a quality first-choice goalkeeper moved half-way through a campaign?

The fact remains that if a keeper is good, and plays for a decent side (or even, a stuggling side that still has chance of survival and that keeper may well be the difference between staying up and going down) then they aren't selling them in January.

The highest quality I feel we could be looking at is somebody of Vorm/Begovic ilk (if we were to go down that route in January).

Very adequate goalkeepers who are second choice as it stands, basically, but would be good enough to improve our starting XI as it stands.

Or, the alternative of course, is wait until the summer with what we have in that position, and then make a move for a quality keeper (like a Leno, Heaton or Sommer etc.) who are first-choice at their respective clubs.

Its pointless to sign anyone other than those 4 in quality so we should be actively "tapping them up" now with the promise of a £30mil bid on its way and hefty £££ salary.

Then lets see what happens when they kick up a storm and put in transfer requests...i can see all of those sides selling to 'The mighty Ev'

Schweinsteiger is basically Barry, but three years younger. He isn't going to play a high-intensity game in terms of being able to get about the pitch.

Schneiderling for me seems the ideal long-term replacement for Barry, but is also energetic enough to play the box-to-box role.

Why doesnt mourinho play him, he seems like his kind of guy

apart from the fact barry is always fit to play every game and scweinsteiger, well, to be nice, isn't fit to play every game.

Nah he's worse in many ways due to the fact he has struggled quite badly with injuries for a few years now, at least Barry never had those issues.

Schneiderlin is simply one of the better midfielders in the country - pre united move, and is wasting away sitting behind higher profile players, also someone arriving who knows and has played brilliantly under Koemans system before would be a huge thing

I'll be as interested to see how much of our garbage we can palm off over the next couple of windows. The ONLY players I think worth preserving with (current 1st team squad) are: Williams, baines, Holgate, gana, Barkley , Davies, deloufeu (just) Bolasie, Lukaku. That's 9 players, not trying to be a doom monger, but I think we have to be patient it'll take a good 2/3 Windows to sort this mess. And if we lose rom or Ross it only complicates matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back