Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was before he did davek called it. Spoke highly of volland as well at the same time. Sure it was 2 years before he went but could be wrong on that front.

Just to answer a few points.

A combination of moyes and the board held us back, not the players. At our highest stock the board decided to stop giving the manager any money, hardly going to push the team on. Plus moyes bottling every game with fear tactics might have stopped us doing well.

I think most of the forum didn't have an opinion on niasse to be fair. No one really knew anything about him so from what I remember the general concensus was to just judge on what we see, ironically became what we didn't see that became the opinion.

The.Monchi thing, all managers and dof sign failures, even Ferguson did over his time. The point of that is, not what bad players you sign but what you achieve with the good ones. 3 Europa leagues and breaking top 4 is a damn good achievement even in Spain.

To be honest I'm not suggesting moneyball but scouting instead. Not relying on stats but actual old fashioned scouting. Finding players who scouts think are best for the team and not doing that by picking up the paper but watching all sorts of clubs in Europe. Dyke for arguments sake at his first club probably not realistic but at celtic much more so. Personally this money ball idea doesn't work in football the way it may do in America. Actually judgement on players is the way to go, even if one or two aren't as good as we thought. Remember lebondowski almost signed for Blackburn!

and Lewandowski could have signed for Blackburn and utterly flopped and ended up being an average player bouncing around various continental teams if he did mate, a bloke in Italy atm, once signed by Blackburn and utterly tanked it int his league now getting talked about in 30m+ transfers to Napoli etc, Pogba leaving untied for nowt and deemed not worth fighting to keep hold off, bought back for a world record fee...

we could easily have bought VVD for 12m and he would have never become the palyer he currently is

Its all about the right player at the right time to bring the best out of them for the club

I can't believe you're not getting it mate.

Players who cost more are proven worth. Van Dijk will cost a lot as he's proven he's good. And would be good wherever he goes.

Walsh might find another defender in say the Austrian league. Might have loads about him. Cost a fraction of the price. Say £700k. But not make it in the premier league like several other million foreign imports.
Aye that is true but at that price it's more affordable a gamble than tens of millions.

I'm not talking about those sorts of players or even finding them at their first clubs. I'm suggesting the players who are ready to make the step up but aren't going to cost the same as when they make it. There has been loads over time who have done this and they all cost much less than their top value. For one Dyke now you could have had the three of them from celtic before Southampton bought them. And celtic as in champions league celtic not jarg league celtic.

Aye that is true but at that price it's more affordable a gamble than tens of millions.

I'm not talking about those sorts of players or even finding them at their first clubs. I'm suggesting the players who are ready to make the step up but aren't going to cost the same as when they make it. There has been loads over time who have done this and they all cost much less than their top value. For one Dyke now you could have had the three of them from celtic before Southampton bought them. And celtic as in champions league celtic not jarg league celtic.

That's a matter of personal opinion though.

I'd rather have one dead cert than maybe 7 potential duds.

No matter the prices.

Do you mean you were trying to

overLookman it?

tumblr_o54enr03DW1qiy96so1_500.gif

That's different though surely?! Getting rid of turd like that is totally different.

But even with a billionaire in charge we can't afford to pay 50 million every time to replace them. I know not every player would cost that but the idea of a dead cert would almost always cost high amounts, and dead cert potential as proven with stones will as well. So to improve the squad we need the smaller priced with potential, ergo what I am suggesting.

Rather than sign 50 million pound players now into a crap squad, spend time building a squad so those 50 million pound signings are the difference between us being also runs and contenders then.

See Newcastle buying 10-15 players from France and going down as they all stank the gaff out.

Newcastle bought a load of cheap French players because they were cheap. I suspect there was more to that then just buying them, and probably hardly any of them were scouted before hand, remember perez I think signed off youtube by them?

Would you rather have a choice of three cbs like mori to play alongside Williams or vvd mate, simple question, simple answer.

Ideally dyke mate personally for the age factor.

I like mori though if you are getting at that. Think a good run in the team and we could get a real player out of him, like his passion and fight in him, plus the fact he plays for the shirt as he proved in the derby last year.

Now is not the time, you gotta let the people vent.

Hot list 3, sponsored by heartache and sorrow :

Stéphane Ruffier Saint-Etienne, 30, GK

Ricardo Pereira Nice, 23, D(LR),M(R)
Fernando Marçal Guingamp, 27, D(L)
Loic Perrin Saint-Etienne, 31, D(C)
Virgil van Dijk Southampton, 25, D(C)

Johannes Geis Schalke 04, 23, DMC
Fabinho Monaco, 23, D(R),DMC
Giacomo Bonaventura AC Milan, 27, AM(CLR)
Emil ForsbergRasenBallsport Leipzig, 25, AM(CL)

Ivan PerisicInter, 27, AM(CLR)
Felipe AndersonLazio, 23, M(CLR)

Andrea BelottiTorino, 23, FW
Edin DzekoRoma, 30, FW

Very few changes, the boy Forsberg being the most noteworthy IMO.

HOT off the press, I bring to my people, Hot List 4.

Stéphane RuffierSaint-Etienne, 30, GK

Ricardo PereiraNice, 23, D(LR),M(R)
Fernando MarçalGuingamp, 27, D(L)
Loic PerrinSaint-Etienne, 31, D(C)
Virgil van DijkSouthampton, 25, D(C)

Johannes GeisSchalke 04, 23, DMC
FabinhoMonaco, 23, D(R),DMC
Giacomo BonaventuraAC Milan, 27, AM(CLR)
Emil ForsbergRasenBallsport Leipzig, 25, AM(CL)

Thomas Lemar Monaco, 21, AM(CLR)
Felipe AndersonLazio, 23, M(CLR)

Edin DzekoRoma, 30, FW
Andrea BelottiTorino, 23, FW

Only 2 changes this week with Anderson claiming his place back in the side and Lemar pushing out the boy Ivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back