Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he isn't as good.

We're going for the best players about if the rumours are true, and Keane isn't in that bracket yet. False economy to go cheaper if we are determined to get the best

Of course Van Dijk is a better player. But reality is we are not going to get the best players this upcoming window or even the next. Last summer we struggled to attract average players. We have to gradually build up our competitiveness in all aspects, including our transfer market activity, and it takes time

Yeah it's alright making that suggestion but do davek and mikey always get it right with their scouting predictions. I mean I saw mikey recommend that we sign Tierney at left back.

Anyone can throw names in the hat and claim they are great when that player turns up but to do it with consistency is the real skill. This is by no means a negative post about davek or mikey as both are very reputable posters whom I have lots of time for. However I'm just pointing out that no scout in the world can ever call something with certainty. They can only give what in their opinion works

Aye. I mentioned them as they picked players out and was proven right on that accord.

My general point was that Walsh is paid to make those scouting calls now and has proven track record in them. So what is the point in signing players at massive amounts when we have someone who is being paid to find the same type of player at a fraction of the cost?

Lookman is ours?

If this article is true it probably signals no Depay just as Gana signalled no Carvalho. Memphis would be a big gamble so I wouldn't be unhappy with this.

"EVERTON have wrapped up the signing of Ademola Lookman – and prepare to bid for Saido Berahino.
Lookman is set to be Koeman's first signing of the January window in a £10million move from Charlton.
Lookman has been by far the Addicks’ best player since breaking into the first team last season and has gone on to make 48 appearances since making his debut away to MK Dons in November 2015.
Liverpool and Arsenal have both been monitoring the youngster’s progress at The Valley but the two sides have missed out on the winger as Koeman looks to bolster his attacking options.
Lookman arrived at Charlton's academy in 2014 from non-league side Waterloo FC and has since gone on to represent England at both Under-19 and Under-20 level.
It’s believed the wideman – who can also play as a striker – chose Goodison Park after being assured of first team football.
The 19-year-old will be part of the first-team squad at Goodison for the second half of the season after being identified as one of the most exciting teenagers in the country."

No way on earth we will have guaranteed a 19yo from league 2 first team football mate, article went in the bin after reading that

Last edited:
I called Niasse correctly mate, i also reckon Dzagoev would be a great purchase, and reckoned we should have gone after Natkho when he left Kazhan on a free, but i also have some utter turkeys as shouts on players as well, basically you can get lucky on shouts on players you've seen a fair bit, but can also get them way way wrong due to liking/not liking them or just having no clue how theyd adapt...

Markovic i called as being a future superstar for example... boy was that wrong

I watched the boy Dzeko many, many years ago and thought he looked a player, but then again theres the Lorik Cana shouts, we all have our ups and downs, but hey, we dont get the chance to follow the players every game, so we dont see it all, hence clubs having scouts.

I called Niasse correctly mate, i also reckon Dzagoev would be a great purchase, and reckoned we should have gone after Natkho when he left Kazhan on a free, but i also have some utter turkeys as shouts on players as well, basically you can get lucky on shouts on players you've seen a fair bit, but can also get them way way wrong due to liking/not liking them or just having no clue how theyd adapt...

Markovic i called as being a future superstar for example... boy was that wrong
I remember I advocated the signing of Eljerio Elia on here at one time:blush:

If we're getting 5 in we could be after both. Especially as Bolasie is out.
Maybe but I remember the 'no we're getting both shouts' after I said the Gana signing effectively ended Carvalho.
Would welcome Memphis on loan with an option but I have to admit I'd prefer £10m on the potential of Lookman than £15-20m on the attitude and inconsistency of Memphis.

Aye. I mentioned them as they picked players out and was proven right on that accord.

My general point was that Walsh is paid to make those scouting calls now and has proven track record in them. So what is the point in signing players at massive amounts when we have someone who is being paid to find the same type of player at a fraction of the cost?

I can't believe you're not getting it mate.

Players who cost more are proven worth. Van Dijk will cost a lot as he's proven he's good. And would be good wherever he goes.

Walsh might find another defender in say the Austrian league. Might have loads about him. Cost a fraction of the price. Say £700k. But not make it in the premier league like several other million foreign imports.

Interesting and reassuring. I would have thought RK always had the final decision but it's a relief to hear SW can veto his choice.
It think this news bodes far more favourably for the long term success of our forthcoming transfers. More good news after today's much needed win.

Imagine the pissing about, so Koeman should have the final say whether Walsh likes the player or not.

Here is the direct quote in Walsh's own words:

"You would have to be daft to think i wasn't brought in for my recruitment talents ..... We both (RK & SW) have to agree a player to come. If one of us says no, we knock it on the head. I think I have a good relationship with Ronald. He is very driven, to the point (and) says it as it is and I like that. If it's a no, it's a no."

No way on earth we will have guaranteed a 19yo from league 2 first team football mate, artcile went in the bin after reading that
Maybe guarantee just means a guarantee of immediate first team opportunity that wouldn't exist at some other clubs.
Maybe it's all crap. We'll soon find out.

Here is the direct quote in Walsh's own words:

"You would have to be daft to think i wasn't brought in for my recruitment talents ..... We both (RK & SW) have to agree a player to come. If one of us says no, we knock it on the head. I think I have a good relationship with Ronald. He is very driven, to the point (and) says it as it is and I like that. If it's a no, it's a no."

BK kicked off the transfer committee, yaaaaayyyyyyy!

BK kicked off the transfer committee, heeeyyyyyyy!

Er, not quite. I left that bit out as i didnt want to spoil the mood on here tonight ........... but if you insist:

"Whichever owner I work for, I spend the money as if it's my own (says Walsh) and I dont want to waste it. There will be another meeting with Farhad and Bill before the window opens and there is regular dialogue which is good. They will invest in the right player."

Er, not quite. I left that bit out as i didnt want to spoil the mood on here tonight ........... but if you insist:

"Whichever owner I work for, I spend the money as if it's my own (says Walsh) and I dont want to waste it. There will be another meeting with Farhad and Bill before the window opens and there is regular dialogue which is good. They will invest in the right player."

Happy Christmas to you as well!

Firminho had the most assists in europe, thats why he came onto peoples radar.

This was before he did davek called it. Spoke highly of volland as well at the same time. Sure it was 2 years before he went but could be wrong on that front.

Ok mate for arguments sake, the new owner gives an amount he is willing to bankroll us with, the remit get the best you can for the money, and we can get VVD, your logic is we shouldn't as we should be able to get the player before his stock rises too high, basically the strategy we employed under Moyes time here, and how exactly did it progress us past a certain point, or did in fact we hit a ceiling where those bargain buys could get us so far and then we'd stagnate - because the oens above us where bringing in ready made players at a top level.

The forum by and large thought Niasse was gonna be a great signing for us btw, it also thought Deulofeu would be getting bought back by Barca.

What your describing by young players before they make that huge jump in value - is effectively moneyball, it's what the rs are in the process of doing and arguably what a lot of continental clubs survive by doing

the job of a very good DoF is all about getting the best players possible for the money spent and available, young players for what there value may become, older players for the impact they can have outweighing the lack of resale value.

The much lauded Monchi btw has some utter turkeys on his CV, including one Arouna Kone, the record signing at the time for Sevilla, 12m, he scored 3 goals and has 1 assist in 53 games for them

As for not having loads of money, honestly mate - none of us know how much we have, if the owner is willing to pay 50m+ for Koulibaly whilst actively bidding on other positions and players then we can assume roughly we aren't broke

Just to answer a few points.

A combination of moyes and the board held us back, not the players. At our highest stock the board decided to stop giving the manager any money, hardly going to push the team on. Plus moyes bottling every game with fear tactics might have stopped us doing well.

I think most of the forum didn't have an opinion on niasse to be fair. No one really knew anything about him so from what I remember the general concensus was to just judge on what we see, ironically became what we didn't see that became the opinion.

The.Monchi thing, all managers and dof sign failures, even Ferguson did over his time. The point of that is, not what bad players you sign but what you achieve with the good ones. 3 Europa leagues and breaking top 4 is a damn good achievement even in Spain.

To be honest I'm not suggesting moneyball but scouting instead. Not relying on stats but actual old fashioned scouting. Finding players who scouts think are best for the team and not doing that by picking up the paper but watching all sorts of clubs in Europe. Dyke for arguments sake at his first club probably not realistic but at celtic much more so. Personally this money ball idea doesn't work in football the way it may do in America. Actually judgement on players is the way to go, even if one or two aren't as good as we thought. Remember lebondowski almost signed for Blackburn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back