Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
he mentions that any player EFC go for is mutually agreed by Ronald & himself. If either says "no" that is the end of the conversation. Interesting
Interesting and reassuring. I would have thought RK always had the final decision but it's a relief to hear SW can veto his choice.
It think this news bodes far more favourably for the long term success of our forthcoming transfers. More good news after today's much needed win.

VVD is now considered as one of (if not the) best centre back in the league. The media have put out articles all over the place saying that he should go to city...theres also been a piece on Koeman not bringing him to us in the summer.

Saw an article where Pep was saying he still believed in Stones after he was dropped and that City weren't looking to spend in January. He did go on to say that might change. Would seem positive for our chances though.

Can't say I've seen enough of him to form an opinion but seems highly thought of.

It doesn't always guarantee the player will be right for you even at such a high price tag.

But the thing is we haven't got loads of money. We might have money to spend but even if there was money available do you think the club would actively pursue spending it all? So there won't be 50 million pound players being signed because it isn't a club policy we could possibly maintain, why sign one player for a huge amount when you could sign 4 instead?

But more to the point, it is the reason why we hired Walsh. Not to have to pay big money for players but to find good ones for less. Less money we spend the more goes into the club and thus more chance of the club as a whole progressing. So for arguments sake we signed Gueye for 7 million rather than Kante for 30. Not suggesting we would have had a chance signing Kante but purely an example of a player similar to the expensive one but just as important in the team.

Sevilla have proven a dof can do it year on year when they do their job properly . And for arguments sake look at some of the players we could be linked with, kone, Keane, dyke, how much did they cost before the big money moves? Thst is how as a club we progress. Not signing 50 million pound flavour of the months but signing them before they are worth it and having a team worth 50 million in each position.

And for scouting? Furmhino was spoken highly in here by a few including davek before liverpool bought him, a year or so before. Mikey spoke highly of dyke before Southampton bought him. If two random forum members can pick a player out then I would hope to god our newly hired director of football can do it without spending massive money, if he does then he fails at his job. And in this market anything over 25 now is big money.

Ok mate for arguments sake, the new owner gives an amount he is willing to bankroll us with, the remit get the best you can for the money, and we can get VVD, your logic is we shouldn't as we should be able to get the player before his stock rises too high, basically the strategy we employed under Moyes time here, and how exactly did it progress us past a certain point, or did in fact we hit a ceiling where those bargain buys could get us so far and then we'd stagnate - because the oens above us where bringing in ready made players at a top level.

The forum by and large thought Niasse was gonna be a great signing for us btw, it also thought Deulofeu would be getting bought back by Barca.

What your describing by young players before they make that huge jump in value - is effectively moneyball, it's what the rs are in the process of doing and arguably what a lot of continental clubs survive by doing

the job of a very good DoF is all about getting the best players possible for the money spent and available, young players for what there value may become, older players for the impact they can have outweighing the lack of resale value.

The much lauded Monchi btw has some utter turkeys on his CV, including one Arouna Kone, the record signing at the time for Sevilla, 12m, he scored 3 goals and has 1 assist in 53 games for them

As for not having loads of money, honestly mate - none of us know how much we have, if the owner is willing to pay 50m+ for Koulibaly whilst actively bidding on other positions and players then we can assume roughly we aren't broke

Carvalho and Witsel jogged us on, hence us making a last minute move for Sissoko, Ganas signing didnt put an end to anything and this Lookman fella is very raw, he is a +1 on the 5 we want IMHO.

Thought the same. I've seen Lookman I think 2-3 times. None this season.

1 he ripped Ipswich a new one.
2 he did nothing at all that stuck in my mind. But he's very well thought of.

Defo one for the future then immediate impact.

Carvalho and Witsel jogged us on, hence us making a last minute move for Sissoko, Ganas signing didnt put an end to anything and this Lookman fella is very raw, he is a +1 on the 5 we want IMHO.
Would think so myself. Koeman needs proven and ready to go players for the 2nd half of the season. Depay will prove more than enough of a risk in those 5.

Good article in today's Times sport on Steve Walsh.

Especially liked the way the article finished:

"There are not many players in Europe I don't know about." He (Walsh) says. It is that knowledge Everton will hope to now benefit from.

Boner Time!

Also, he mentions that any player EFC go for is mutually agreed by Ronald & himself. If either says "no" that is the end of the conversation. Interesting

Imagine the pissing about, so Koeman should have the final say whether Walsh likes the player or not.

Van dirge was a gamble, that looks like its paying off for Saints.

For every Van dirge there is a Barry Ferguson.

And for every Van dirge Mikey has called there is a Leigh Griffiths.

Basically what im saying is that it isnt an exact science.
Van dirge was a gamble, that looks like its paying off for Saints.

For every Van dirge there is a Barry Ferguson.

And for every Van dirge Mikey has called there is a Leigh Griffiths.

Basically what im saying is that it isnt an exact science.

I called Niasse correctly mate, i also reckon Dzagoev would be a great purchase, and reckoned we should have gone after Natkho when he left Kazhan on a free, but i also have some utter turkeys as shouts on players as well, basically you can get lucky on shouts on players you've seen a fair bit, but can also get them way way wrong due to liking/not liking them or just having no clue how theyd adapt...

Markovic i called as being a future superstar for example... boy was that wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back