January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand the frustration in some quarters at signing players from the lower leagues or more unfashionable clubs. I think we would all rather see us signing well known Marquee names. The blunt truth is that we tried that in the summer, with Witsel, Mata & Koulibaly and though we got close to all 3 we delivered nobody. By the end of the window it descended into pretty chaotic scenes.

What we are seeing now makes me far more relived than targetting players who are out of our reach. We need signings and improvement, not vanity gloss to make ourselves feel better. I also think we are seeing the beginnings of the influence of Steve Walsh. That for me can only be a good thing. Whether last season was seen as a fluke or not, what can't be doubted is over 7 or 8 years he did fantastic work recruiting at Leicester. I'm happy to have his stamp put on the recruitment.

As I said around September time, learning from the better bits of the Moyes regime will do us know harm. We routinely signed lads from sides below us, unknown names from abroad or players from the championship. By in large this worked well. What held us back was not the adoption of this plan, but that we were always limited in how much we could do it and towards the end we didn't have the financial might to take players from poorer premier league teams than ourselves.

Baines played for a poor Wigan team. Jagielka got relegated for Sheffield United. Lescott was injured when Wolves were relegated. Cahill played for Millwall. Atria & Peinaar were out of favour at their clubs and basically caste aside. I'm not saying we should look to sign bad players, but that good scouting is the ability to see what others are unable too, and sometimes not just go with whats patently obvious.

I'll do something separately on Lookman. However if Robertson and/or Berahino were on our hit list for me they would both be very decent signings. Robertson would be good competition for Baines, knows the league well and had a good engine. Berahino has fallen completely out of favour, but when at his best he has pace, works hard and can finish. Like Robertson knows the English game very well. Both of them are early 20's.

Neither of them are exotic names from abroad. But more signings like that will help us.

I can understand the frustration in some quarters at signing players from the lower leagues or more unfashionable clubs. I think we would all rather see us signing well known Marquee names. The blunt truth is that we tried that in the summer, with Witsel, Mata & Koulibaly and though we got close to all 3 we delivered nobody. By the end of the window it descended into pretty chaotic scenes.

What we are seeing now makes me far more relived than targetting players who are out of our reach. We need signings and improvement, not vanity gloss to make ourselves feel better. I also think we are seeing the beginnings of the influence of Steve Walsh. That for me can only be a good thing. Whether last season was seen as a fluke or not, what can't be doubted is over 7 or 8 years he did fantastic work recruiting at Leicester. I'm happy to have his stamp put on the recruitment.

As I said around September time, learning from the better bits of the Moyes regime will do us know harm. We routinely signed lads from sides below us, unknown names from abroad or players from the championship. By in large this worked well. What held us back was not the adoption of this plan, but that we were always limited in how much we could do it and towards the end we didn't have the financial might to take players from poorer premier league teams than ourselves.

Baines played for a poor Wigan team. Jagielka got relegated for Sheffield United. Lescott was injured when Wolves were relegated. Cahill played for Millwall. Atria & Peinaar were out of favour at their clubs and basically caste aside. I'm not saying we should look to sign bad players, but that good scouting is the ability to see what others are unable too, and sometimes not just go with whats patently obvious.

I'll do something separately on Lookman. However if Robertson and/or Berahino were on our hit list for me they would both be very decent signings. Robertson would be good competition for Baines, knows the league well and had a good engine. Berahino has fallen completely out of favour, but when at his best he has pace, works hard and can finish. Like Robertson knows the English game very well. Both of them are early 20's.

Neither of them are exotic names from abroad. But more signings like that will help us.

If this kid from Charlton is accompanied by other signings with far better pedigree then that's fine. If all our signings are punts like this then we won't progress.

If this kid from Charlton is accompanied by other signings with far better pedigree then that's fine. If all our signings are punts like this then we won't progress.

Yes I think thats a fair point. For the last 15 years of watching Everton, the club I have been most jealous and frustrated by have been Spurs. They seemed to generally buy well. Often the managers didn't manage the talent, but you could see their scouting was very good. IF we go down that route, of buying good younger players and developing them that would go a long way for me. I think we are better at managing players than Spurs have been but they always had the edge on recruitment.

Suffice to say, with Schneiderlin likely to follow, alongside Williams, Bolasie and Gueye we are buying for the here and now too. What Lookman shows to me though, is we are looking to the future as well, which is an important counter balance.

Honestly, is Steve Walsh that good for us? It looks like he got lucky last season with everyone he signed having the season of their life. All their players are now playing at their actual level and and they're in complete disarray and he's got to take some responsibility for that.

This is on top of him having a pretty poor summer window with us.
Did you read the article in the times yesterday? SW outlines how he works with players. He talks about how he counsels them to make them ready if called upon, as opposed to despondent if not playing. It's not his responsibility at Leicester anymore so, no, he doesn't have to take responsibility for the results there mr myopic.

Guardian

Kasper Dolberg, Ajax

The latest in a long line of Danish teenagers to emerge from Ajax’s academy, Dolberg shot to prominence in November after scoring a hat-trick against NAC Breda in 37 minutes, including an impudent flick headerthat drew comparisons with Marco van Basten. “I see many similarities,” Dolberg’s father Flemming immodestly said. “If he goes like him that’s very good, of course. They are the same size, same speed and both have a good shot.” Everton have been strongly linked with an approach for the 19-year-old in January but the bad news for Ronald Koeman is that bigger fish are starting to circulate for him and the talented midfielder Riechedly Bazoer, with Manchester City, Juventus and Napoli all sending scouts to recent matches. Estimated value £10m

I understand the clamour for big names, but in truth, big names mean zip if they don't fit in with the team! (Just look at all the big names currently rotting away at ManU). We need the right players, not necessarily the best players! The best Everton sides I have seen included players who were anything but glamorous and Kendall's teams were full of players none of us would have chosen. For everyone dismissing players from Hull, just look at Gana Gueye and the impact he has had on the team. If the player is right, it doesn't matter if he is currently playing with Marine quite frankly, get him in. There were so many on here laughing at what the rs paid for Mane, but he was right for their team and is now becoming their star man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back