Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouTube interview link:

(Don't know if RTBF content is localized so found new youtube link) . It's a decent interview. He talks different topics. Like why he has had so many clubs... That he does not consider himself to be a striker; he says his best position is a 10 (offensive midfielder)...

Also interesting: he admitted he was way to young when he signed for Inter Milan and he was impatient. He didn't think playing 8 - 10 minutes in a game was good for him, so he wanted away. But he's matured so much more since then. Quoting here.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/fores...outh-cup-tie/story-30047977-detail/story.html

Forest striker Ben Brereton watched by Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City and Man United in Youth Cup tie
15790885-large.jpg

Senior scouts from the Premier League's biggest clubs were at Nottingham Forest's FA Youth Cup tie at Stoke City with Ben Brereton the player they were most likely there to watch. Afterwards, Under-18s coach Gareth Holmes said the talented striker is on course for big things.

Arsenal sent ex-Reading boss Brian McDermott, while Liverpool dispatched former Nottingham Forest Academy director Nick Marshall.

Scouts from Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham were also there, it is fair to suggest, with the name Ben Brereton at the top of their list to watch.

In fact staff from ten Premier League clubs were at the bet365 Stadium on Tuesday to watch Nottingham Forest take on Stoke in the FA Youth Cup fourth round, the others being Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Southampton and champions Leicester City.

Everton actually sent three people to the game and Arsenal two, while the England Under-18 head coach Neil Dewsnip and head of talent identification Richard Allen watched from the stands.

Brereton is hot property with United and Liverpool expressing an interest in the 17-year-old striker, who has scored 15 goals in 20 Under-23 games this season.

On the face of it, the teenager was totally overshadowed in a battle of two highly rated strikers, with Stoke's Tyrese Campbell, the son of former Reds striker Kevin Campbell, netting a hat-trick in a 4-1 win for the hosts.

Brereton was booked for diving and missed two chances, one of which was his own making, but tellingly he ran himself into the ground as a lone striker playing in a lost cause for the last 20 minutes, when Forest were out of the game and down to 10 men.

Tyrese Campbell (left) scored a hat-trick for Stoke

Afterwards, Forest Under-18s coach Gareth Holmes offered strong praise for Brereton, saying his style of play is increasingly rare, especially for someone who can back up his game with goals.

"Ben is tremendous. Look at his performance. He never wavered in his application," he told the Post.

"He is a striker who is very rare. He scores goals and is ruthless, but he has an empathy for the team.

"He wants to work for the team. In the national game right now that type of striker is rare.

"He's got a lot of work to do but he's getting there. He shows potential with his movement, with his intelligence, application and goals.

"He's ticking a lot of boxes. This defeat will disappoint him, but he'll play in bigger games than this."

Brereton is already talked of in the multi-million pound bracket even though he is yet to play for the first team.

He recently earned a new contract that is yet to be ratified by the authorities, although Forest see this as a formality.

That deal will only increase the value of a player the club see as having the potential to be better than Oliver Burke, who was controversially sold to Red Bull Leipzig at the end of the last transfer window.

Offers are almost certain to come in for Brereton, meaning if John Jay Moores wants to keep one of the club's prized assets, he will have to return to his baseball roots and bat away wealthy suitors, should his takeover go through as expected.

As Holmes says, Brereton will play in bigger games than Tuesday's, when scouts almost outnumbered fans. But where will he play them?

Holmes pauses slightly at the kind of question managers aren't a fan of.

'For Nottingham Forest first hopefully' is the reply. Let's hope he is right.

Report this article

If Schneiderlin doesn't fall through, I'd say we have had an adequate window as that was a MUST BUY position. We need to get a backup striker/Rom partner in and another winger, but I would be satisfied. You don't want to overspend in January if options aren't there. I'm glad to see Everton haven't stopped shopping in the window after Schneiderlin and Lookman though.

There's only one reason i'd take Saido and that's that he's clearly a nobhead. And our team needs more nobheads.

1) I dont think he is a nobhead in that sence, a Roy Keane, Zlatan, steven gerrard, tim cahill type nobead are good for the team as they are always whining at the ref and getting in the oppositions face. The type of nobhead i think you were interpritating is your Jolean Lescott, Peter Odimwinge, Pierre Van Hoijdonk (for you 30 year olds) type nobhead. We have plenty of them at the club so we dont need more

2) I dont even think Berahino is the 2nd type of nobhead anyway, i think he has been treated shockingly by Pulis to a state were he has been ostracized from the team to an extent were Pulis has bullied Berahino out of West Brom purely for the fact that he isnt a 6ft 4 centre forward who can win a header, (or saying this quietly, because he is young and black)

according to soccerway this is Belfodil's history, Standard got him free a few months ago and are selling him on to us for 10 or 12 million! while I realise this isn't the be all and end all it doesn't sound like a great deal to me, smells like Niasse if Im honest

Transfers & Loans

Per From To Value
31/08/16 Bani Yas Standard Free
30/06/15 Parma Bani Yas N/A
30/06/14 Inter Parma N/A
30/01/14 Inter Livorno Loan
04/07/13 Parma Inter € 7.5M
30/06/12 Lyon Parma € 3M
29/01/12 Lyon Bologna Loan

Belfodil moving closer to Everton. According to Belgian newspaper DH he'll leave the training camp of Standard tomorrow and fly to England.

Good player. I'd say one of the five best in the Belgian league in these first 6 months.

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/football...8f0e2c7?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
He is a good player but not really suited to play up top in a one striker system. He comes deep to get the ball and he plays more like a midfielder at times. Standard Liege did much better in a 4-4-2 allowing him to roam with Orlando Sa staying in position.

Belfodil moving closer to Everton. According to Belgian newspaper DH he'll leave the training camp of Standard tomorrow and fly to England.

Good player. I'd say one of the five best in the Belgian league in these first 6 months.

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/football...8f0e2c7?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Important in this article is that the sources from La Derniere Heure have said that Everton has uppen the bid to 12M euro! Seems like a done deal, as others have said La Derniere Heure is usually very reliable considering Standard de Liege.

1) I dont think he is a nobhead in that sence, a Roy Keane, Zlatan, steven gerrard, tim cahill type nobead are good for the team as they are always whining at the ref and getting in the oppositions face. The type of nobhead i think you were interpritating is your Jolean Lescott, Peter Odimwinge, Pierre Van Hoijdonk (for you 30 year olds) type nobhead. We have plenty of them at the club so we dont need more

2) I dont even think Berahino is the 2nd type of nobhead anyway, i think he has been treated shockingly by Pulis to a state were he has been ostracized from the team to an extent were Pulis has bullied Berahino out of West Brom purely for the fact that he isnt a 6ft 4 centre forward who can win a header, (or saying this quietly, because he is young and black)

and replaced him with Rondon whose old and white?!

according to soccerway this is Belfodil's history, Standard got him free a few months ago and are selling him on to us for 10 or 12 million! while I realise this isn't the be all and end all it doesn't sound like a great deal to me, smells like Niasse if Im honest

Transfers & Loans

Per From To Value
31/08/16 Bani Yas Standard Free
30/06/15 Parma Bani Yas N/A
30/06/14 Inter Parma N/A
30/01/14 Inter Livorno Loan
04/07/13 Parma Inter € 7.5M
30/06/12 Lyon Parma € 3M
29/01/12 Lyon Bologna Loan

He admitted he was too impatient when he was young. Even though he signed for Inter, he wasn't happy that he could only play 10 minutes as a substitute.

And also: Parma was bankrupt when he was there, so he had to go. As did all the players. There was no concrete interest in him, so he decided to choose the financial option and go to the UAE (Bani Yas). "But only for one season. I signed for two seasons but I knew I would only stay there one year" he said about that.

After that year, he came to Standard. The coach at that time, Yannick Ferreira, knew him because he also worked in the United Arab Emirates.

I wouldn't put Belfodil in the category of player that would close the quality gap with the Top 6, but it is all about building a team and having players that will compliment each other.

At 24 he is also of the age profile I prefer, we badly need to bring down the average age.

He may not be a starter but his height alone can offer us an extra dimension.

If he is good enough for RK/SW, he is more than good enough for me.

Good to see some momentum building - I was very concerned at Koeman's comments on Saturday.

Each signing is another brick in the wall to rebuild the squad so I'll happily give credit when it's earned.

Be interesting to see if we could get a CM in as well, that would then round off a reasonably good window.

Important in this article is that the sources from La Derniere Heure have said that Everton has uppen the bid to 12M euro! Seems like a done deal, as others have said La Derniere Heure is usually very reliable considering Standard de Liege.

Correct, if you want reliable information about Standard de Liège, LDH is the way to go. David De Myttenaere always has his finger on the pulse in Liège.

Also interesting: he admitted he was way to young when he signed for Inter Milan and he was impatient. He didn't think playing 8 - 10 minutes in a game was good for him, so he wanted away. But he's matured so much more since then. Quoting here.

Yeah it's a good and honest interview. A good viewing.

For the same price would prefer Berahino to Belfodil......

Glad to see we are still out shopping though. To me it reinforces the concept that there was ~50 to spend without sales. Could be a Berahino/Belfodil and Fonte type signing and then wait to see who is outgoing.

If Del, Clev and McCarthy were all to be sold that could leave about 30 with which to make a splash at the end of the window on a Manolas/Sigurdsson type, while also making a late push for Depay on loan if he has not been sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back