Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be disappointed but nowhere near the levels of anger from August if we don't sign any one else. But you can't just say our targets weren't available, we'll build in the next window, in every single window. Eventually you have to bite the pull, pay over- inflated fees and get the deals done. You can't just keep throwing it down the line. At some point we need to do it. Maybe now isn't the time, I don't know. But in that case, the summer has to be the time. If we haven't substantially improved the quality and quality in depth of our squad by the middle of August, then that's indefensible.

We have been extremely fortunate that he hasnt had a period out with injuries, cos you are right. We have several players who can support him, but I struggle to think of one who could actually replace him in the side for a sustained period.

Lets see I guess.

Totally agree. He's always been sound physically he reminds me of Ash in our defence who just gets on with things. Problem is it is mentally draining playing 30 games a season and even the best need to keep having to be pushed. When he can look at the bench and see Kone he will laugh. Having someone hot on his heels allows him to give another 5%

I'll be disappointed but nowhere near the levels of anger from August if we don't sign any one else. But you can't just say our targets weren't available, we'll build in the next window, in every single window. Eventually you have to bite the pull, pay over- inflated fees and get the deals done. You can't just keep throwing it down the line. At some point we need to do it. Maybe now isn't the time, I don't know. But in that case, the summer has to be the time. If we haven't substantially improved the quality and quality in depth of our squad by the middle of August, then that's indefensible.

Summer was a farce, I do think the business we did was good to an extent but not enough. We played catch up in early days in Jan, now we are up to speed it looks like we've stalled again.

We should go for the kill and use our momentum on the pitch to improve even more.

Totally agree. He's always been sound physically he reminds me of Ash in our defence who just gets on with things. Problem is it is mentally draining playing 30 games a season and even the best need to keep having to be pushed. When he can look at the bench and see Kone he will laugh. Having someone hot on his heels allows him to give another 5%

I am pretty sure that Koeman and Walsh think the same mate!

Dont need a mega buy, but a decent 2 striker. Or maybe that they reckon the West Ham lad/Lookman could suffice, short term.

I actually think that to reach were we want, we need to lose this second best mentality, although I agree that we won't always get our targets. It's the reason Spurs challenge for top 4, they target Modric, VDV, loris, even alder weirded appeared impossible at first.

You are right. Modric signed without CL football and got them there. Great signing. Just think if reports are lead to be believed we wasted lot of time in summer trying to get next level signings.

The has to be a fine balance otherwise we sign players like Enner in a panic and only substance we have is 'oh look we tried'

I honestly can't think of a striker I'd like at the moment or who wants to come to play a back up role to Rom, because let's face it that's what a new signing will do. Dembele at Celtic would have bee perfect last summer but his value is probably around £20m plus now.

I honestly can't think of a striker I'd like at the moment or who wants to come to play a back up role to Rom, because let's face it that's what a new signing will do. Dembele at Celtic would have bee perfect last summer but his value is probably around £20m plus now.
He is the one I would go for with McCarthy has part of the deal.. offer 10m plus Jay Mc

I still have nightmares about how utterly diabolical we were in the first half hour at WBA back in August. The difference once he made the early change to bring on Rom was remarkable. We went from being absoulutely pathetic to being dominant, all due to one man's presence. It will be an absolute disaster if he gets injured and we haven't strengthened our alternatives.

Yeah, it does. This window and the last one.

But now the new USM naming rights deal is done, that has the same effect, I assume, for the Summer.

Basically, the PL didnt want the new TV cash to be used to just inflate wages, (yeah, I know), so clubs could only increase their wage bill on the back of other commercial activity. We were near the ceiling based on ours, hence Stones went and the £40m odd profit frees up the wage bill.

edit. But its not FFP rules. Its a PL thing. SSTC or something.
Well made point, we are close to maxing out on wages, we had to reduce the wage bill to accommodate new players, next year we should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back