Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree mate.

But the point is that the players we want (e.g. Keane) are much more likely to be available in the summer rather than now.

Think of it from the selling club's P.O.V

What need do they have to sell in the middle of the season?

None.

And that's because players who could improve us are either 'cast offs' - like Schneiderlin, or the best players from teams who aren't as good as us (e.g. Keane) but those clubs aren't going to sell their best players in the middle of the season.

So it's not acting like 'leave it until summer for the sake of it'. It's just that there's no point buying a player who 'may' improve us now but then we miss out on our primary target in six months time...

Burnley have not exactly said no in their hands off warning.
Just that they are trying to build something there.

But they are miles off competing with the top 7 sides in this league.

He will go, hopefully to us, today.

Burnley have not exactly said no in their hands off warning.
Just that they are trying to build something there.

But they are miles off competing with the top 7 sides in this league.

He will go, hopefully to us, today.

Really don't think he'll be going today mate.

He'll be off. Just not yet.

July, and things will be different.

Dunno mate. I can't argue really with any player he has got rid of so far even if he doesn't replace them with signings. The squad for me wouldn't be weaker in tangible terms if both McCarthy and Kone left and weren't replaced today either. Jagielka probably can't go.

Agree mate, can't argue with the players he's let go (apart from maybe Del, but can also sort of understand that) and we've got plenty in the McCarthy position so not weakened there if he goes, Kone, enough said!

Suppose it's just the Everton way mate, when we're winning, everything is great, when we're crap, then it's commence operation fume from us.

Last edited:

WTF are you on about, we played a system with the players we have/had and didn't do very well. We then changed the system and it suits the players that we have and things significantly improved, squad went from looking terrible to looking pretty good. Simple enough?
Bless your little cotton socks for proving me right when you think you're proving me wrong. God loves a trier and all that.

Seeing as you're getting all hot and sweary, i'll make it super easy for little Bernie to understand, OK? If all we needed to do was change the formation, then the players were never poor in the first place, were they? It was the formation that was wrong, not the personnel. So those people who insisted we needed to get rid of all the players, were wrong. You see now? All we needed to do was change the formation, not throw the baby out with the bathwater like all and sundry kept saying.

Lookman is covering both wing and second striker. I think he's surprised everyone how good he has been. You can only trust the manager's judgement on that.

No, centre-back was not vital. It is needed, but only when Jags moves. That will now be in the summer, and we will get a player in. That player looks to be Keane. We may well have been in for him this window, but realistically it was always going to be tough. And there's no need to buy a stop-gap in that position atm, especially since the switch to 3 at the back.

Striker, I agree. But please stop acting like getting a reliable back-up is easy. It isn't. There isn't enough game time to go around mate. So I question why any good player would willingly come and sit on our bench? The best we could have hoped for is a Valencia-standard player (Belfodil) who could improve, or a youngster, realistically.

If we were in the cups, that would be different.

Lookman has had probably less than a dozen training sessions and played less than a half of footy for us mate, yes he may look good initially, but to rely on him as the cover for two positions is insane

Centre back isn't vital - pretty sure it is mate if we are bidding on VVD (40m) Keane (20+m) and Manolas etc, we play 3 at the back now - meaning we have one backup in Jagielka for that position in total, and a player who everyone can see (and think you have as well) commented on that he looks utterly finished and his legs have gone, if we get an injury to williams especially we will revert to a back 4 - we don't have any serious option on that, meaning all the recent good form etc can go out the window as it's all been achieved since a formational change

OK, getting a reliable back up striker is so hard, thats the phrase used these days, yet, looking around the league, it's actually pretty hard to find one as bad as Kone was for us until Valencia arrived and well Valencia is 4th/5th best striker at West Ham? - Mirallas is currently playing as a second striker to all intents, if we brought in a strikier - why would it have to be on the terms as Roms backup only to play a minute here or there or if hes injured etc?

Players don't sign because a team is in or out of the early rounds of the FAcup mate, and managers don't sign players based upon that either.

In the last window we made massive bids (allegedly) for Koulibaly, Gabbiadini and Sissoko plus whoever else I missed, yet now we want no one else? Are the players not available or are we still skint?

I am starting to wonder what Moshiri has brought to the table, who says we wouldn't have done any thing that has gone on previously if not for him because we are still spending what we bring in. People have been blasting BK and the board for doing that for decades.

Show us the intent you have for Everton and give us a marquee signing, Moshiri said himself he wanted one, 2 transfer windows and our marquee signing is Morgan Schneiderlin or Bolasie? Wow lofty ambitions that....

Cmon Everton enthuse us and boost the positivity with a massive signing, they are out there!

Like any fan I want to see the best players pulling on the famous shirt and again the window will be judged on the last few months of the season. I hope Koeman is not moaning about lack of activity tomorrow onwards.

Not really that bothered if we don't sign anyone, loving the ruthless way he's got rid of the deadwood and happy with the signings he's made so far this window.

If we bring someone in then great, but if it's a Valencia type signing for numbers then it's not worth it. Just work with the players we have til the Summer and then go big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back