Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

I forgot that the past is a direct representation of the future.

If you're good enough, you're old enough.

And Unsworth, at least, thinks we have a few good enough. It seems likely Koeman and Walsh agree considering this window.

But you missed my main point - this is find for 6 months. In the summer we'll need to strengthen. We are only vaguely chasing Europe right now, it's not a do or die target this season.
Isn't it always for 6 months though? And the self proclaimed failings of the summer (in the clubs words) were only for 4 months then as well.

This is swerving into talking about transfer business this window which I have said I'm happy with. I just don't see playing the kids for 4 months is any sign of competition in the league. We are closing in on 3 teams above us currently, so we decide we don't need any senior players brought in and promote the academy instead?

But no this isn't a past vs future debate. As I said earlier, how has the academy suddenly overnight got a squad full of ready made players ready to step up to our level? Instead of playing against reserve defenders, our players have to suddenly play against top class ones and experienced at the game. The gulf between the under 23 league and top 7 in the league is massive!

Isn't it always for 6 months though? And the self proclaimed failings of the summer (in the clubs words) were only for 4 months then as well.

This is swerving into talking about transfer business this window which I have said I'm happy with. I just don't see playing the kids for 4 months is any sign of competition in the league. We are closing in on 3 teams above us currently, so we decide we don't need any senior players brought in and promote the academy instead?

But no this isn't a past vs future debate. As I said earlier, how has the academy suddenly overnight got a squad full of ready made players ready to step up to our level? Instead of playing against reserve defenders, our players have to suddenly play against top class ones and experienced at the game. The gulf between the under 23 league and top 7 in the league is massive!

*Sigh*

Not if you're good enough. Just look at Davies and Holgate, taking the piss out of genuine world class players.

Here's the problem - you've got a belief that the season isn't over and we can finish in the top six if we bought a few players.

With that mindset, sure, you probably are confused why we aren't bolstering the squad.

Thing is, in reality, the season is actually effectively over - so why pay £30m for a player now who won't make much/any difference to our league position, when the same player will be available for £20m in a few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back