Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hardly call £17M for a player with no Prem experience a punt. Remember what happened when we took a £13.5M punt on a player from the Russian league with no Prem experience? As for Hogan, never knew of his existence until today so can't really comment on that one.

Granted but he is an Italian international with champions league experience, so a different scenario to Niasse.

We have such a thin squad right now-with only mirallis Lennon Valencia as proven attacking players to join Lukaku . Lookman will now be forced to play every week and here's hoping he emerges as a great talent.

An injury to Barkley /mirallis /lukaku and we will be struggling.

(And for those who play it - the everton fifa 17 squad is now by far the worst it has ever been, extremely weak actually! :)

If you play as Everton on FIFA the first thing you do is sell everyone we've got rid of this month except Geri, actually.

A transfer window without any rhyme or reason.

Yes, get players out on loans or sold that you don't want or need. But how does that help for next season if you dont get players in now to bed in for next season and allow us to get a head start?

A dijointed and I'll thought out strategy at play here. Once the dust settles and the people who are crowing about getting rid of players have a think about it they'll see it's been a missed opportunity.

I honestly don't think anyone down there at that club have a clue what the plan is.

Main positive from this window is the only real dead wood we have left, providing Kone has gone is Stekelenburg.

Apart from that we also have Lennon and McCarthy who I dont really see as good enough going forward, and Jags sadly just dosent have the legs anymore, but the average age has come down and the standard has gone up even if the numbers are low.

Just means in the summer we wont have to worry about shifting rubbish and with the smaller squad everyone, including Valencia on the off chance he is good enough, should get game time now.

Hopefully McAleny to Oxford will be a good excuse for the scouts to keep an eye on Ledson, been doing a good job for them in the last couple of months and still feel he was let go too early, could be similar one to Forshaw and end up back in the prem in a few years time.

Other than that, good start to the window, managed to shift some deadwood albeit a few only short term loans but have to hope that our recent form hasn't caused us to sit on what we have, always felt this summer would be more important in regards to transfers but would have liked to have seen some sort of movement for another attacker at the least. Hopefully one of the younger lads might be able to step up and show something if required.

The January window is mostly for clubs in the bottom half of the table.

However, I think this is a window that we Evertonians will look back on in amazement. The number of players shipped out is startling, Rodriguez, Kone, Gibson, Oviedo, Cleverley, Niasse McAleny and Deulofeu .

Add to that the number of under 23 sent out until the end of the season, Browning, Connolly, Grant, Dyson and I have probably forgotten a couple more.

Surprised McCarthy is still here. Half of our squad are CM's!
Indeed they are. But there are reasons why three of them cannot or should not be expected to start a large number of games:

a) Besic has been out injured for months. Realistically he will spend the rest of this season just getting back to match fitness.
b) Barry is at the tail end of his career due to age. Physically he simply cannot play a full 90 minutes every game and expect to maintain a high standard of performance. We will get the best of him by playing him more sparingly.
c) Davies has had a very bright start, but that is not a sensible reason to expect him to immediately be able to play 90 minutes every game. He's 18.

One of Besic or McCarthy might well be sold in the summer though, assuming Davies continues to progress along his current trajectory.

The January window is mostly for clubs in the bottom half of the table.

However, I think this is a window that we Evertonians will look back on in amazement. The number of players shipped out is startling, Rodriguez, Kone, Gibson, Oviedo, Cleverley, Niasse McAleny and Deulofeu .

Add to that the number of under 23 sent out until the end of the season, Browning, Connolly, Grant, Dyson and I have probably forgotten a couple more.
Yes, and therefore an almighty rebuilding job that will now have to be done over the next two windows this summer and next January instead of this January and this summer.

It was a thoughtless fire sale with almost no attempt to construct.

A transfer window without any rhyme or reason.

Yes, get players out on loans or sold that you don't want or need. But how does that help for next season if you dont get players in now to bed in for next season and allow us to get a head start?

A dijointed and I'll thought out strategy at play here. Once the dust settles and the people who are crowing about getting rid of players have a think about it they'll see it's been a missed opportunity.

I honestly don't think anyone down there at that club have a clue what the plan is.

What if the likes of Davies are better than Gibson or Cleverly?
You kept your beloved McCarthy, be happy.
:)

Part of the key is sales that are oriented toward gaining revenue in the summer, allowing us to spend more. Hopefully some internal investment can increase revenues, although I surely wish I understand FFP better. Is it the top line revenue that they care about or the net revenue? Point being, if the right player wasn't there to invest in, there are other uses of funds to help us if it's a net revenue number.

Regardless, signing Rom and Ross is key and a big summer spend as well. This is also why Euro football is SOOO important from a revenue standpoint. Really wish we could've bagged a few more to help secure a Euro spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back