Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inconsistent sort of means that there's high and lows, when we beat Soton 3-0 away for example, people were lauding him.
Not true but, I can name you so many players (and managers) who don't speak fluent English that I'd love here.
He hasn't 'stolen' anything. He was injured and since proved not good enough!
This is just pointless, he's going in the summer, chill out and get Van der Meyde's number, he might have done stuff that you'd get even angrier about.
inconsistent career as a whole. Very poor for us, was never able to make the step up to a big-ish club in his career.

Also i'm not saying we shouldn't sign a player if they can't speak English, you're missing the point completely.

We havent spent a penny on players in Ronnys tenure, granted I will have to wait till the summer to be proved correct with regards loans that will be turned into sales, but 70m is an utter joke of a sum to be lashing around without context.

The squad has been trimmed, a lot of faith has been thrown in the direction of the younger players and a lot of hope has been placed on the shoulders of certain players, it is what it is, a transitional season.

First we tear apart, then we grow.
That's great an' all, but we have spent £70+m in two windows and have a massive rebuilding job still to do.

That rebuilding and all the disruption it brings will need to be carried out over the next two windows at least.

Sometimes I wish Martinez was reinstated just to shut you up.

Then I realise that, apart from his first season when he had the luxury of a Moyes defence to build on that he hadn't coached the defending ability out of yet, he was unquestionably a clueless loon that only knew one descriptive word for a performance and must've been constantly on uppers to think it ever warranted being used to describe his teams performances.

I know you are the forum wind-up merchant but it is becoming more tedious than watching Jags pass to Distin, who passes to Howard, out to Distin, back to Howard, out to Jags, up to Barry, back to Jags, back to Howard, up to Jags, out for a throw. 70% possession, other team scoring from a corner. Defeat. Repeat ad infinitum. Team were phenomenal though.
We'd be having the literal inverse argument with Dave had Martinez still been around so it's a wash any way you slice it.

Happy with the window. Forza the Ronald

A squad has been deconstructed and very little work has been done in constructing another to take its place...this after two windows has gone by with this manager in charge and having spent over £70m already.

I fail to see how any of that is a positive.

Because the players he's shifted where utter turd mate.

Btw what [Poor language removed] squad was deconstructed, the squad had melted down under Martinez already

Go on with you sadsack comments mate, utter show you've become lately, slate Baines, the manager. The owner, the dof, the captain - until you think he's leaving ofc in which case defend him. Find a way to praise the park end for making koeman play the yoooof, utter cockwomble lately Dave, and its sad to see.

Last edited:
The club have made it very clear that we wont be buying players simply to make up numbers and we will only be going in for the names we really want.

Padding out your squad with average to below average players is usually what happens in January and yet we managed to get an excellent young prospect in Lookman and proven quality in Schneiderlin.

And a load of tosh has been moved on.

Good window imo.

That's great an' all, but we have spent £70+m in two windows and have a massive rebuilding job still to do.

That rebuilding and all the disruption it brings will need to be carried out over the next two windows at least.

I think we have done well to cleanse the squad so quickly, to be fair Ronny gave everybody a fair crack for 6 months and then binned off everybody he deemed not worthy.

With regards the loans :

Tom Cleverley(Loan)
Gerard Deulofeu(Loan)
Aiden McGeady(Loan)
Shani Tarashaj(Loan)
Oumar Niasse(Loan)
+
Grant (Loan)
Jones (Loan)
Connolly (Loan)
Griffiths (Loan)
McAleny (Loan)
Evans (Loan)
Browning (Loan)
Galloway (Loan)

Out of them all you would assume the following will return Tarashaj, Grant, Jones, Connolly, Griffiths, Evans, Browning, Galloway, due to their age, the rest have no future and will be moved on, we also have Kone in his last 6months, you would think certain players might want to move on in the summer due to not enough game time, players like Jags, Jamo and others maybe, if done correctly we should easily be able to re-build the squad in the summer, in the meantime younger players might get a chance to impress and hopefully take their chances like Davies, Holgate and Lookman have.

As I said, transitional season, hopefully we get Europa next season then its all about Ronny, Stevie boy and the rest boxing it all off.

Jobs a good un.

Glad you agree! ;)

In all serious though, i think it's not been a bad window given whats available currently, plus we got rid of players adding nothing.

IMO the big tester for both RK and the board will be the next window. No excuse then as we'd have trimmed the squad, they'll know what they need and we have the money to spend!

Crystal Palace have agreed a deal to sign Koné.
c2192f9c1e4c9eb5c17e1f24affe37eb67c08459f991487cc19016e1c660cd73.jpg
Spoke too soon, he's back.
tumblr_inline_n6pog5zSwB1s9bswn.gif

inconsistent career as a whole. Very poor for us, was never able to make the step up to a big-ish club in his career.

Also i'm not saying we shouldn't sign a player if they can't speak English, you're missing the point completely.

I agree, but he leaves us in the summer?
I didn't insinuate you said we shouldn't sign players who don't speak English. You said (paraphrasing), "he can't speak English so how does he give advice to younger players?", I'd love to see Diego Costa coaching some of our youngsters how to play footie, wouldn't you?

No, no, no. Never my line. I bemoaned the fact our season competitively was over...and it IS. Howver, this window was there to get a head start for next season. It's been wasted. We now have a decimated squad and some heavy lifting to do construction wise in the summer....and at the rate that this Dutchman does business at it'll take till next summer to complete.
I'd hardly say the squad is decimated. We have got a head start for next season, we've shifted a ton of garbage off the books. No one has done any business this window. I am however expecting work to be done in the summer. But we've got a under 23s squad sitting at the top of the league, and given that you've suggested we need to bring the average age down there's now opportunity to see them try to break into the first team. First 6 months - assess the current staff, second 6 months assess the under 23s, 3rd 6 months add what's missing. Even if you don't like it, it's far from uncoordinated as a strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back