Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's do we need to strengthen?

Let's see....
Goalkeeper to be no.1
New centre half
New left back
New winger
New no.10
New no. 9
Arguably another central defender.
Keep Rom
Keep Ross

Not sure it's a massive job in the summer???

See above. It's a huge summer. We need 5-6 quality players and we need to keep our best players (namely lukaku) and we need to ensure those out on loan who are surplus don't return. There's absolutely no excuse not to buy big. If we dont the jury just won't be out on the new regime, they will be proven failures and frankly liars. I think they will get it right but if they don't there is no hiding place.
Goal keeper, CB, striker, no. 10 (olaymaker). I'd say they are essentials. Baines will carry on at LB and we'll change to a 3 CB system if needed.

Can't hypothesize about if we will keep Lukaku and Ross, I'm framing my question on what we currently have.

Equally I don't think we need to 'buy big', it doesn't seem the strategy of Koeman and Walsh. Buying astute seems to be... What still needs to be demonstrated is if, and when we need to buy big, we can. That's where Moshiri has yet to convince me and a lot of others.

I hear everyone shouting about how bad the window was and how we've not strengthened ( as we did no business yesterday regarding players in ) but, who was actually available that could have improved us as a squad ? and at what price ? Jan is known as a difficult window and it's usually the clubs struggling for survival who do a lot of business.

7debfT4.png

Just about sums up this transfer window

I hear everyone shouting about how bad the window was and how we've not strengthened ( as we did no business yesterday regarding players in ) but, who was actually available that could have improved us as a squad ? and at what price ? Jan is known as a difficult window and it's usually the clubs struggling for survival who do a lot of business.

I'm not buying it as an 'excuse' as such but I think for the last two weeks Koeman has been very clear how he is looking to operate.

We've got in his two primary targets and we did that early.

It'd have been nice to get a few more in but clearly the standard of player that would improve us at this stage for whatever reason wasn't get able, and instead of spending money on players he wasn't convinced by (Belfodil) he's happy to wait for his number one targets (e.g. Keane).

I'm not buying it as an 'excuse' as such but I think for the last two weeks Koeman has been very clear how he is looking to operate.

We've got in his two primary targets and we did that early.

It'd have been nice to get a few more in but clearly the standard of player that would improve us at this stage for whatever reason wasn't get able, and instead of spending money on players he wasn't convinced by (Belfodil) he's happy to wait for his number one targets (e.g. Keane).
An approach which is sensible in my opinion. Why spend 60 million on dross just to appease a few bedwetters on GOT who buy into Jim White day.

Good thing is that out of all the players we were linked with that the fans wanted, none of them moved elsewhere.

Pickford, VVD, Keane, Manolas, Paredes etc. still available to purchase in the summer. Roll on July.

Most of us seem happy with Schneiderlin and Lookman. Most, also seem happy with the cull of squad players and free riders. There's room for more to leave in the summer too. But, whilst I'm slightly disappointed we didn't bring in one or two more to improve the first team, I'm anticipating a summer spree for us. This seems to be the plan at least. Time to deliver it in 6 months time!

Good thing is that out of all the players we were linked with that the fans wanted, none of them moved elsewhere.

Pickford, VVD, Keane, Manolas, Paredes etc. still available to purchase in the summer. Roll on July.
Not being picky mate but which of those you named were realistically available ?

I just hope that the "players we wanted were not available" line doesn't turn into a self-fulfilling prophesy in the summer.

It shouldn't if there is money available and we have done extensive scouting/preparatory work, with more to come.

Some signings are riskier than others, but we're looking to improve on what's likely to be a 7th placed finish, not jump from 2nd to 1st.

I am all for getting your top target and being selective, but one thing I won't accept in the summer is that 12-15 months of work results in us not being able to make a signing in a given position in a global market that would improve us and/or is better than what we have there.

None of them but my point was that it's good that we can still go for them in the summer. Nothing worse than being linked and they all moved elsewhere in Jan.
Yes I hear what you are saying mate but who linked us to these players ? Was it the club ? The Fans ? The media ? I'm asking as I don't honestly know. It's one thing fans naming players they think the club should sign but it's totally different to who the club want and how available said player may be .

I just hope that the "players we wanted were not available" doesn't turn into a self-fulfilling prophesy in the summer.

It shouldn't if there is money available and we have done extensive scouting/preparatory work, with more to come.

Some signings are riskier than others, but we're looking to improve on what's likely to be a 7th placed finish, not jump from 2nd to 1st.

I am all for getting your top target and being selective, but one thing I won't accept in the summer is that 12-15 months of work results in us not being able to make a signing in a given position in a global market that would improve us and/or is better than what we have there.
Yes but who ??? everybody is saying this but nobody is actually coming up with any names of anybody who us realistically available... that will probably change come summertime I accept, but now ? In this window just gone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back