January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Something we lack for a long time is the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work...
aka creativity lol

I’d seriously question our transfer strategy if we signed James. We need to sign younger players that can add value as they play.
That's definitely fair. I think James is at a level that if the deal is there you do it. It's not the same as what we did with Sigurdsson to me because the player is just that much better.

Dries Mertens has not agreed a Napoli extension, so Atletico Madrid have joined the list of clubs interested in the Belgian hitman.
His contract is due to expire at the end of the season and there is a €10m release clause valid for the first 10 days in January, only for clubs outside of Italy.
Inter, Manchester United, Carlo Ancelotti’s Everton and teams in China have all been linked with a bid for Mertens.
Now Spanish newspaper AS claims Atletico Madrid are also keeping an eye on his situation, seeing him as an alternative to Edinson Cavani from Paris Saint-Germain.
Mertens is 32 years old and only started playing as a centre-forward under Maurizio Sarri, but remains a winger for Belgium.
It remains to be seen where he’ll feature under new Napoli coach Gennaro Gattuso’s 4-3-3 formation, but he has scored nine goals with four assists in 22 competitive games so far this season.
I'd take him on a 2.5 year contract provided we can get rid of Tosun. He's still a class player and our young strikers could learn a lot from him. Can play in a front 2, across a front 3 or on the wing so is very versatile. Wages could be a problem as he'll be looking for a big final payday. Bottom line is he'll certainly improve our squad and arguably our starting XI too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back