Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every defence needs a ball player CB and a no nonsense straight up pure defending CB in order to get a good balance. Holgate can do the ball playing part but I definitely think he should be doing the CDM role from now on. So that leaves us with keane and mina who are none of the above two. A defender and CM are the top priority in the short term, just cant see who we can get in that will sort these problems out.

Coming in here and saying we desperately need a CM is the new me coming in here saying we desperately need a CF from two years ago.

I don't expect a huge flurry of activity. Maybe one permanent, one loan.

The FFP contraints will be a big factor in that we need to get players out first.

Even if that wasn't the case, I would prefer Ancelotti to take time to consider in depth what and who we need and work accordingly with Brands.

Deciding who has no future here is the easy part. Getting shut of them and securing better than adequate replacements is not easy at all.

If we got two in this month and four in the summer then that's six and the squad and team transformed. But those brought in have to be ready from the off, we don't have the luxury of bedding in periods lasting up to two seasons.

I don't expect a huge flurry of activity. Maybe one permanent, one loan.

The FFP contraints will be a big factor in that we need to get players out first.

Even if that wasn't the case, I would prefer Ancelotti to take time to consider in depth what and who we need and work accordingly with Brands.

Deciding who has no future here is the easy part. Getting shut of them and securing better than adequate replacements is not easy at all.

If we got two in this month and four in the summer then that's six and the squad and team transformed. But those brought in have to be ready from the off, we don't have the luxury of bedding in periods lasting up to two seasons.
Is FFP really relevant to a club that is years away from qualifying for the Champions League anyway?

Is FFP really relevant to a club that is years away from qualifying for the Champions League anyway?

Indirectly no but I wouldn't think they would want to be in breach as a principle even without European football.

The whole concept is flawed and skewed in favour of the mega clubs but we badly need to recover discipline and value for money in our transfer dealings so might as well look at it that way.

I don't think the Ancelotti era means huge spending but it has to mean effective spending. I think he must know the score on that and can't see him complaining in the media because we can't solve every position with £50m.

He signed eight players for Napoli for £80m. It doesn't mean all were successful and selling to the Premier League carries a premium, but we actually can do better for less outlay.

My concern is that Brands buying habits mostly seems to be in areas where we won't pick up value. It seems obvious to me that we need to be going for players generally under the age of 25, and from the continental European clubs where you still get that value.

I don’t hate Niasse like some fans do. But he has 6 months to go on his contract and he should probably go and get some games somewhere else. I think he’s been the easy whipping boy and doesn’t deserve the abuse.

The fella hit the jackpot its not his fault. I meant it as in Walsh didn't sign him it was Martinez and his cronies.

Just can't help thinking how different things could of been had we signed Zouma, plus Gomes and Gbamin stayed fit? Still needed a CF but I think we'd be well up that table, and Marco would be in a job. Just shows the difference 3 changes can make to the fortunes of a club

Yes

There's UEFA FFP and there's the PL's own version of it

UEFA FFP would concern us in the Europa League too

PL's own version is less stringent, but to the best of my knowledge it is untested as far as what the ramifications would be of a club breaching it would be

Why does nobody want Zouma any more?

He was quality for us last year and a massive reason we had such good form in the second half of the season

cause is part of the Chelsea back line under Lampard and they simply won’t sell

so with that what’s the point in mentioning him ?

cause is part of the Chelsea back line under Lampard and they simply won’t sell

so with that what’s the point in mentioning him ?

That's not true tho. The original poster who brought Zouma up in this thread mentioned the fact that Chelsea are being linked with a number of CBs now that their ban has been lifted and therefore might look to offload Zouma.

My point is that i dont understand the people saying that they wouldn't have him back even hypothetically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back