Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sick of signing players and managers from lower prem and relegation teams. Silva , Bobby , Joel, alcaraz, bolasie, McCarthy , kone , siggy, Williams , coco , all came in, some had one good season ( McCarthy and Bobby) and the rest are either still milking us dry and offering nothing of they have been let go because they’re crap. Richy is the only one that has been a success financially. Signing lower prem players and managers is why we are in such a mess

Gueye was great. Pickford is decent, just we have bought the wrong players.

Go further back to Moyes and we made a few cracking signings like Baines , Jags , Cahill etc etc

Grealish would cost us about 50-70 mil and be on 100k , probably someone out there as good for half the cost and wages if we get the scouting right..
I honestly don't think you could get anyone in his role ready to hit the ground running. I would pay the money, it's £5m to £7m a year for the next 10 years, and a ready made captain.

That’s the FA, though. Not the Premier League. The Premier League haven’t punished a single club for FFP, even when UEFA have done through restricting prize money from European competitions.

There will be a focus on selling the dross as there has been for the last few transfer windows but I don’t believe that we will be restricted so much that we will be subject to the same type of sell to buy reality as we were under Moyes and Kenwright.

FFP only effects Prem clubs in Europe, and I think Moshiri is more than capable of getting around it. Clubs are allowed to lose as much as they want on infrastructure without FFP restrictions.

Usmanov’s sponsorship of the the new ground over a period of 20 years or whatever could theoretically be factored in advance. Moshiri could then use ‘his own’ money for the stadium. There are ways and means of getting around FFP when you are owned by Moshiri and Usmanov.

Yes and no.

Youre absolutely correct with what you say and we've got it wrong terribly with the players weve bought recently.

But as i said in another post the RS have shown it can be done with the likes of Robertson, mane, van dijk coming from lower clubs to do very well.

They are in the position that they can afford to get a few wrong , even tho as you say they have done quite well. I wonder if players like mane, salah, Robertson , the ox etc who all left for fees that we have paid for our rubbish and in some cases actually paid less, would have performed well if we did manage to sign them. Maybe it’s down to Klopp ? Maybe with Carlo actually knowing what he’s doing unlike the rest of the cack we have had , we will have more chance of our signings actually working out. Thinking about it Gana has probably been one of our best signings in the prem era and he came from a relagated villa side , played well and we made 23m profit on him so yeah I guess they can work out. Being an Evertonian has made me expect 90% of whatever we do to fail and I guess it’s somethimg I have to try and change now Carlo, brands and Moshiri are runnings thing now

That’s the FA, though. Not the Premier League. The Premier League haven’t punished a single club for FFP, even when UEFA have done through restricting prize money from European competitions.

There will be a focus on selling the dross as there has been for the last few transfer windows but I don’t believe that we will be restricted so much that we will be subject to the same type of sell to buy reality as we were under Moyes and Kenwright.

FFP only effects Prem clubs in Europe, and I think Moshiri is more than capable of getting around it. Clubs are allowed to lose as much as they want on infrastructure without FFP restrictions.

Usmanov’s sponsorship of the the new ground over a period of 20 years or whatever could theoretically be factored in advance. Moshiri could then use ‘his own’ money for the stadium. There are ways and means of getting around FFP when you are owned by Moshiri and Usmanov.
You'd hope they would,and although highly doubtful an EL place at the end of the season might attract the attention of UEFA.

McCarthy would do a god job for us right now

He would get into our team for sure but from a “successful signing” way of thinking he wasn’t. Not all his fault because of the injuries but we got a decent year out of him, paid him 60k a week for 3 years and sold him for a loss

I've got a great idea to get around FFP.

Uncle Usi buys out the contracts of our benighted midfield duo at a grotesquely inflated price and puts them to work as butlers on his yacht for the remainder of their term.

We go out and spend the loot on blammos.

You're welcome.

There's a fundamental error here that Uncle Usi would soon spot … when the waiters receive the tray of drinks, stand dazed and confused for a few seconds, and then hand the tray back to the bar man, leaving the parched VIPs bemused. They'll be fired from the starboard cannon in no time at all. *On second thoughts that could be an excellent resolution to the problem.

Indirectly no but I wouldn't think they would want to be in breach as a principle even without European football.

The whole concept is flawed and skewed in favour of the mega clubs but we badly need to recover discipline and value for money in our transfer dealings so might as well look at it that way.

I don't think the Ancelotti era means huge spending but it has to mean effective spending. I think he must know the score on that and can't see him complaining in the media because we can't solve every position with £50m.

He signed eight players for Napoli for £80m. It doesn't mean all were successful and selling to the Premier League carries a premium, but we actually can do better for less outlay.

My concern is that Brands buying habits mostly seems to be in areas where we won't pick up value. It seems obvious to me that we need to be going for players generally under the age of 25, and from the continental European clubs where you still get that value.
Yes

There's UEFA FFP and there's the PL's own version of it

UEFA FFP would concern us in the Europa League too

PL's own version is less stringent, but to the best of my knowledge it is untested as far as what the ramifications would be of a club breaching it would be
Thanks for the explanations. I honestly wasn't sure if there were any real consequences to fear, and I'm always suspicious of anything that allows the club to justify inaction.

I'm very much in favour of overhauling the club's approach to recruitment, as it didn't take an expert to see what was going to happen when big money was being thrown at players that were never going to get Everton challenging. However, if the plan is to sit back and blame Steve Walsh while hiding behind FFP, there was no point in hiring Ancelotti. In much the same vein, if Brands isn't capable of broadening the scouting networks and finding value in the market, he isn't worth keeping around.

This Gordian Knot needs chopping ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back