Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Brands arrived at Everton there has been very little information leaked about who our genuine targets are.

I think the media are looking at areas we need strengthening and looking at players CA worked with previously and are creating links where there may be none.

On the other hand managers do often try to sign players they know well... so , by a happy coincidence the media may get something right.

Since Brands arrived at Everton there has been very little information leaked about who our genuine targets are.

I think the media are looking at areas we need strengthening and looking at players CA worked with previously and are creating links where there may be none.

On the other hand managers do often try to sign players they know well... so , by a happy coincidence the media may get something right.
I don't know where this comes from, it's really not true. We knew all about Delph, Gbamin, Kean etc weeks before we actually got them. In the end it was pretty anti-climactic when they did sign because everybody had already started counting them as part of the squad. Iwobi was the only one this year I think who came out of left field, and that was seemingly because we'd not got Zaha, who again everybody knew we were after.

I think thats part of my problem with him, when i watch bournemouth (not every game of course) i dont see him being the commanding leader that someone like VVD is or Kompany was. Im not saying he is to blame because their are various factors, but i like someone who commands their box as a centre back. I feel we have been conned into this idea that all centre backs need to play out from the back. Give me Jags and Distin anyday.

Most of the top managers in the world are going to want us to play out from the back more often than not. I don't think it's a con, it's just how football has developed

I don't know where this comes from, it's really not true. We knew all about Delph, Gbamin, Kean etc weeks before we actually got them. In the end it was pretty anti-climactic when they did sign because everybody had already started counting them as part of the squad. Iwobi was the only one this year I think who came out of left field, and that was seemingly because we'd not got Zaha, who again everybody knew we were after.
Lossl, Digne,Sidibe,Gomes,Richarlison,Benard and Iwobi as far as I remember happened quickly where we only knew a day or two in advance.
I thought we had been strongly linked with a different midfielder and that Gbamin was not mentioned until shortly before he signed, but maybe I am wrong.

Lossl, Digne,Sidibe,Gomes,Richarlison,Benard and Iwobi as far as I remember happened quickly where we only knew a day or two in advance.
I thought we had been strongly linked with a different midfielder and that Gbamin was not mentioned until shortly before he signed, but maybe I am wrong.
Yes there have been some which happened quickly, but I think it's worth noting that most of those names you've been mentioned won't have been major targets. Gomes, Bernard, Iwobi and Sidibe were all signed on deadline day, it's quite normal for those ones to come out of the blue whoever's in charge, often because you've missed out on your actual targets and are moving down your list.

Just had a quick check on Gbamin in case I was getting confused but the first mention of him in the transfer round up was on 22 June, he was then mentioned regularly before we completed the signing on 2 August.

Crying

Screenshot 2020-01-09 at 16.23.22.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back