Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw Emre Can went to Dortmund on loan with a £21m option. Bargain and good enough for a pretty good side.

Totally agree. If he recreates his form, they get a decent bargain. If he doesn't, he goes back to Juve. Who knows if we were genuinely in for him, but that kind of deal would have been good for us.

....agree. Kean seems in demand so we could probably get our money back on him along with decent profits for Richarlison, Digne and Bernard.

I think Moise will be fine, he will always have a market in Italy, the likes of Inter are always looking for a high profile "name" and can drop millions on the Roms of this world when they need to and especially if he has national team profile but id back him to do it here full tilt hes a player.

Bernard was a free and i believe on about 125k a week, i think he would struggle to find that elsewhere unless it was in the far east leagues, and you wouldn't say a move there would be unlikely in the years to come But hes a useful player for us.

I suppose Carlo must think he can get enough out of the current crop to see us through the season - and with no real outs it must have been difficult to justify more ins unless there was a clear opportunity.

I think you have the regulate the intake of those type of players, you can have to many prospects and leads to Brendan Galloway, Garbutt situations - when is a prospect not a prospect anymore.

Arguably Dowell and Bowler are in getting into that category now - horrible injuries the lads picked up this week. But they dont seem to have ascnded in to a DCL or Gordon. If you get two like that out of a cohort it justifes everything though becasue if they make it, it pays for the academy for years.

What hasnt helped Brands is the ban on U 18's so i think we have seen a swell in 18+ players or lads who have already signed professional contracts.

Thats true, I mean these players like Branthwaite and the apparent bid we made for the Italian 17 year old left back are similar to the DCL, Holgate, Stones and suchlike sub £3mil punts.

We should really have been looking at Baines and Colemans ages at full back and bringing through 2 full backs from the u23s or signing a couple of top prospects last summer to compete for a place.

Likewise we could have looked at Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson and Delph and thought a 'Lookman type' fee for Jude Bellingham at Birmingham was worthwhile (as united have done).

In any case, we should be actively looking to add these players in as (like you say) just one or two coming off covers the cost of several transfers.

Instead of say Iwobi coming in I think it would have made more sense to bring in a couple of top rated prospects.

Thats true, I mean these players like Branthwaite and the apparent bid we made for the Italian 17 year old left back are similar to the DCL, Holgate, Stones and suchlike sub £3mil punts.

We should really have been looking at Baines and Colemans ages at full back and bringing through 2 full backs from the u23s or signing a couple of top prospects last summer to compete for a place.

Likewise we could have looked at Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson and Delph and thought a 'Lookman type' fee for Jude Bellingham at Birmingham was worthwhile (as united have done).

In any case, we should be actively looking to add these players in as (like you say) just one or two coming off covers the cost of several transfers.

Instead of say Iwobi coming in I think it would have made more sense to bring in a couple of top rated prospects.

I think there is an argument each way.

For every Galloway and Garbutt there is a Stones, DCL and Holgate. Its about good judgement and pathways.

Take Lewis Gibson that is a situation under a different regime that probably would have seen him leave on a free like Gosling. But after being reassured of a development pathway he has stayed, signed a new deal and hopefully will be an asset - id credit Brands there.

On Baines as i said yesterday to much controversy, we dropped a clanger on Robinson, if we could have done a Lewis Gibson on him, loaned him to Wigan instead of giving 34 year old legend Baines a new deal, it would have been good work - id be critical of Brands there.

I suppose no one is perfect and you cant win them all.

As i have said before i think we are bit sluggish in the domestic market at lower levels, i dont think Brands has the network or domestic contracts yet, the way Steve Walsh arguably had, which in a way is understandable given his career has been largely outside this country. Thats not saying Walsh was brilliant and Brands crap, just an observation, Walsh as we know wasnt great at international signings, were Brands is better. Not that Brands wont develop this and Braithwaite looks a positive step, but its just my take and opinion.

Last edited:
Pointing out the obvious but why would any team sell their better players whilst they are still fighting for something mid-season. It must be a rubbish market in January across Europe at least.

I suppose Carlo must think he can get enough out of the current crop to see us through the season - and with no real outs it must have been difficult to justify more ins unless there was a clear opportunity.
It is very difficult to find the right player, at the price, during the January transfer window, and our recent acquisitions in January are a testament to that.

Apart from Bruno Fernandes, there hasn't been any other 'quality' signings, with most clubs looking for loan deals or the purchase of younger players.

That tells me a lot about the market and the worry about about inflated prices. It would have been nice to have got additions, but I suspect many factors stopped it.

It is very difficult to find the right player, at the price, during the January transfer window, and our recent acquisitions in January are a testament to that.

Apart from Bruno Fernandes, there hasn't been any other 'quality' signings, with most clubs looking for loan deals or the purchase of younger players.

That tells me a lot about the market and the worry about about inflated prices. It would have been nice to have got additions, but I suspect many factors stopped it.
Sander Berge, if he plays as well as he can do he won't be at Sheff Utd for very long.

Besic is playing for a side comfortably above us in the league... (You are not wrong in the rest of the stuff you say.)
Comfortably we would have been 1 point behind them if we held on against Newcastle. So am not sure thats so comfortable when they are only 3 points ahead. That said I do think Besic could have done a better job here than are current midfield options are doing.

I think last summer is quite comparable really for outs

We sold for reasonable fees players who were not playing regularly

The junk we got rid of to Sunderland were not on big wages like the junk we have now....or overpaid compared to their ability.

Both windows we loaned out loads

So I think comparable, and then of course the INs were much better last summer than that disastrous one which has directly screwed us and is still screwing us
Were you including Bryan Oviedo in your 'junk' description? A bit harsh if you were, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back