Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was an option to extend for 1 year which I am sure HULL would have invoked
Was not aware of the extension thing tbh mate, but it will be interesting to see if he stays with WHU. He has a release clause in the contract if they get relegated which tbf there is a good chance of.

See Henry
Getting work permits seems to be a problem
We also brought in Vlasic and that did not work out

I think this is partly it. However the explanation may be a bit deeper. In spite of all the talk of long term plans, Moshiri has shown himself to be quite impatient with managers. He wants quite quick results and to be competing in the top 4-5 pretty quickly. When that is the goal, then you do have to build a strategy around that.

You also have to factor in, the first job he had to do was get the squad to a minimum standard and sort of stabilise the club. I know people are critical of the signings he's made, but ask where we would be without Digne, Mina, Sidibe, Iwobi, Gomes, Bernard & Richarlinson? Had most of them been duds too. We were in a poor position when he casein, we'd scraped to 48 points and would lose our top scorer for the season that summer.

With Ancelotti in charge we have almost overnight become a side that is performing to around a top 6, 60+ points total team. If this can be cemented over a 12-18 month period I think we can look to be more ambitious and aggressive in our approach. I have seen that we are targeting the French leagues heavily, there was talk of a 17 year old Italian left back (who ultimately turned us down) and we have seen Gibson do a u-turn to sign a contract as well as the acquisition of Braithwaite. So there is a bit of a move in that direction and I think/hope that will continue.

I agree to an extent
The focus has mainly been on the first team squad ,
For differing reasons not a lot has been changed at u 23 or the academy,
i was expecting a raft of changes to the coaching set up below the first team but as yet nothing has happened

Would anyone take back our young ex players back who we going to build the team around

Stones
Deulefeu
Barkley
Define young. Two of those lids are 25 and the other is 26, not exactly geriatrics but not up and comers either. I'd have Del back, as he now seems to be able to play for a full 90 mins, but the other two can do one.

I wonder is there some kind of clause in the Brands deal that we cant sign any PSV players for a few years, £27 mill for Steven Bergwijn looks a good deal for Spurs and you wonder on the logic of a deal like that VS Iwobi.
I think both players were good prices for their relative age and ability, however Iwobi clearly had the homegrown/premier League experience inflation - which might explain how he ended up more expensive that Bergwjin.

Not a clue about the PSV deal, but being realistic I would imagine it was highly likely they threw in a protective clause to their players as nobody will know more about their ability than Brands himself.

I wonder is there some kind of clause in the Brands deal that we cant sign any PSV players for a few years, £27 mill for Steven Bergwijn looks a good deal for Spurs and you wonder on the logic of a deal like that VS Iwobi.

wasn't bergiwjn the one player brands said he'd want here as he'd suit the prem? Over players like lozano?

I agree to an extent
The focus has mainly been on the first team squad ,
For differing reasons not a lot has been changed at u 23 or the academy,
i was expecting a raft of changes to the coaching set up below the first team but as yet nothing has happened

I was expecting these changes too. It was said under Allardyce/Silva that there was no link between the U23s and first team squad which is very concerning.

Also, Gretar Steinsson was appointed Head of European Scouting which is our key market to be active in if we want relative youth and value for money. There are no signs of any work being done there coming to fruition yet and I'd expect to see some progress by the summer window on that front. We can't continue spending in the £20-£30m bracket for mediocre signings on big wages.

If we ever make it to the CL would it be pointless to qualify if we didn't try and win it straight out of the gate?
It's prestigious enough that just being in the CL is fine. The Europa League not so much.

I'd still be upset if we were rotating for every CL game just like we typically do in the Europa. My bigger problem is not that we don't win it, but that we don't treat it with any type of priority. Why is it so important to qualify for something if we just want to treat it as a burden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back