January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Board is gone, it’s matter of time. They won’t survive this and be sacrificed before the owner will be.

Whatever it takes now, pitch invasions at the weekend the lot, mass chaos, the most pragmatic and mild were turned today.
Yeah, thats what we need. Potential points deductions.

FFS, we havent signed anyone. Id rather we didn't sign anyone than waste money on someone out of desperation. And unfortunately, we are not in an attractive position to most teams or players to do business unless its way over the top.

We need to sack off all the protest stuff until the end of the season and back the team. Thats all we can do now.

Anything else is another distraction and excuse that we dont need.

Disappointed we didnt get signings, obviously, but move on.

FFS, we havent signed anyone. Id rather we didn't sign anyone than waste money on someone out of desperation. And unfortunately, we are not in an attractive position to most teams or players to do business unless its way over the top.

We need to sack off all the protest stuff until the end of the season and back the team. Thats all we can do now.

We had 31 days to sign someone, so it didn't need to be 'out of desperation' and we can back the team (and fans will) and still protest against the board, they are an absolute disgrace so why should they get a free pass till the end of the season?

Last edited:

There is no effort to stay up, Southampton Bournemouth spent 60-70 mil. Our plan is if we go down dyche can get us back up. I think it’s what the board want I said it last year. Getting relegated clears out the squad and we start again
Major gamble on Dyche -or anyone- getting us back up. How many clubs have gone down over the years and thought/expected to be back at the first go only to spend years in the wilderness. We are a bigger mess than Sunderland; this board is clueless, they are not prepared for the second tier.

We could very conceivably be bottom third of the Championship if not worse. I do not buy this idea we'll "magically" bounce back up. Championship teams are far better prepared for that league than we are.

Some of the squad will have to be sold for finance reasons, others will perhaps stay put because the money is too good and they can't get a better deal elsewhere. We've got the 8th highest Prem wage bill going into the second tier without a £100-120m tv deal - it'll be a shyteshow. Plus I would not trust anyone at this club with recruitment (Dyche may be the best of a bad bunch, but we all know who calls the shots here and it is not the manager).

I feel this is misguided.

The time for sewing is done, it’s time to reap.

Look around mate, it can’t be colluded with anymore.

Everton won't return. We'll be in the wilderness for years like Leeds were. Wouldn't be surprised if we never came back. Wages at 96% of turnover, very few playing assets, a stadium that will likely remain incomplete now and we will be on the hook for what has already been paid.

It is ruinous on a scale I don't think the football world, certainly not the British game, has ever seen. I mean, could liquidation be an actual possibility?
Or Dyche could get us moving up the ladder a couple of spots and we all get excited again in the summer as the stadium nears completion and FFP frees us up to sign more players

How can you say that. A bunch of millionaire men running / jogging around whilst playing / badly with an inflatable ball. What’s not to love ??

But Everton just has this way of….

I didn’t actually finish that post so not sure what happened there.

I agree with much of what you’re saying but in order to have any chance of success, teams need to spend beyond a proportionally low multiple of losses. In fact most would have to do so just to stay in the league.

Everton are an example of where FFP fails. We get ourselves into a terrible mess and granted that’s on them but as a result of FFP we are now unable to spend any money to save us from potentially what you’ve described above.

Indeed timing and luck of it is what it is but to bring in rules like these, after some have already solidified their positions, simply being in the right place at the right time, doesn’t seem right to me. I appreciate why FFP was introduced and I can see the logic but they’re privately owned businesses in the main and if you’re going to bring in constraints then let’s see wage caps, transfer caps based on league positions, some sort of draft system, a requirement for local talent to stay local and clubs having to stick with managers until a transfer window.
Even with relegation I'd imagine parachute payments and saleable assets would be enough to maintain the existence of the club. The scope of ambition would change and severe cuts would be necessary but in terms of being going bust I don't think that would be a concern.

However, if the early spending of Moshiri's time at the club was allowed to run unchecked for the last 2 years or so and was similarly poor in terms of quality then I think there would be a real threat of Everton becoming the first bona-fide huge club to fold should outside funding be cut off.

The second bit I've highlighted would be involve impositions on individual employees. Forcing people to stay local in a trade that has worldwide employment opportunities at many different levels of earning seems a little draconian for what is essentially a ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back