2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me branthwaite should walk into the team but if he doesn't the one good thing we would have (assuming we don't sell him of course) is that he'd be well rested for our pre-season

Agree with all that.

Looking at the names here:

Defenders:
Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

The general concensus is that Maguire starts alongside Stones. You'd imagine he wants five CB in the squad, Quansah is out, so that's three from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi, Gomez, Konsa.

I guess Konsa has earned it after a very strong season with Villa and he'll be in.

Two fall from Branthwaite, Dunk, Guehi and Gomez. I hope it's Dunk and Gomez that fall - they hardly bring lots of top level experience to the table, whereas Branthwaite has had a tremendous season and is hopefully viewed as an adequate backup, even though he'll barely get any minutes if picked. He's surely not going to pick Gomez because he can play (badly) at left back if needed.
Konsa's experience at fallback back, too. Although seriously, he is very weak there.
They have had weeks of training together, so a lot will depend on how he has settled in, what he brings to the squad, how he has trained, and how he compares to the other players in training.
It also comes down to if he looks easier to drop.

Cant see how Guehi, Dunk or Gomez get in ahead of him based on performances

I think it will depend on Shaws fitness and whether he is included. If he isn’t fit and gets cut, I think Branthwaite goes just for his left foot as Gomez will go to left back.

For me branthwaite should walk into the team but if he doesn't the one good thing we would have (assuming we don't sell him of course) is that he'd be well rested for our pre-season

If what reports (including Sky Sports) are suggesting are correct, then he doesn’t play another game for Everton, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back