2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomes can play left back.

Dunk shouldn’t be in the squad admittedly
Aside from John Stones, there's not one player who plays centre back who should be in the squad ahead of Branthwaite.

Yes, Gomes admittedly can play left-back and probably will due to Southgate selecting Shaw, who has been injured all season, and who is expected to play 7 games in 28 days.

With 26 players available you take a couple of starlets for the future. Branthwaite and Wharton are a couple of classic examples. Hoddle took Ferdinand in '98 when I think he was 18 years old and he could only take 23 players. He didn't play a minute from memory but he was a mainstay for next 10 years.
big one that sticks for me is sven taking a 17 year old walcott

Aside from John Stones, there's not one player who plays centre back who should be in the squad ahead of Branthwaite.

Yes, Gomes admittedly can play left-back and probably will due to Southgate selecting Shaw, who has been injured all season, and who is expected to play 7 games in 28 days.

I recall only 2 outfield England players didn't get a single second of football in Euro 2016.

John Stones and Ross Barkley.

The likes of Chris Smalling and Gary Cahill were starting for England but Evertons John Stones wasn't considered good enough.

... I didn't expect him to go.

As a centre half, he hadn't played enough for England. You can't lash a lad in at centre half - there's too much risk there. Jagielka said the same a few weeks ago saying it's come too early for him.

But then there's no way a couple in that team should be before him. Especially after Maguire didn't make it.

Good. Won’t get injured and won’t get tapped up by players from the Sky Six.

Oh wait, this is Everton. Bye Bye Jarrod.

As a centre half, he hadn't played enough for England. You can't lash a lad in at centre half - there's too much risk there. Jagielka said the same a few weeks ago saying it's come too early for him.

But then there's no way a couple in that team should be before him. Especially after Maguire didn't make it.
Or Quansah being even close/considered to it too.

I think you're right but if i was him and i was seeing someone like dunk and a few others that aren't fit enough to lace his boots going in front of him it would really do your head in

Not sure how true but I’ve just been on an Everton / Football space on X and several people were suggesting Branthwaite would have been on standby but has gone back as he’s expecting to move this month (ref what Sky reported earlier today).

Last edited:
There's previous.

Phil Jones and Chris Smalling were selected ahead of John Stones for world cup 2014. Just let that soak in.

The mind boggles.

England managers just fear technical players, all of them since Hoddle have done.

Paul Scholes and Carrick, players who dictated games from midfield for a club winning titles every season were dropped in favour of the good old English box to box players who can ‘get around the pitch’ like Gerrard Lampard Hargreaves Jenas Milner and it’s just continued on in the following generation Henderson Dier Rice Phillips Mount and most recently Bellingham and Gallagher. It’s not saying these lads are bad players at all, some are extremely good, but other nations wouldn’t be getting as excited about them as we do.

We love a young striker being let off the leash at 18 for England, but a creative midfielder being allowed to pull strings, or a CB being allowed to play out from the back? Absolutely not.

Possession is absolutely key in international football but conversely we’re so worried about picking creative players (in case they lose the ball) that we pick players who won’t create anything and we lose tournaments because of it.

Even now people are banging on about Jude Bellingham, in that Madrid team though he loiters around upfront letting Kroos and Modric make all the play behind him. Same way Gerrard did with Alonso at Liverpool, and Lampard did with Essien/Ballack. Then when they get to England and have to make the play themselves they can’t.

England should build a team around their best technical players but instead players like Grealish or Foden or Joe Cole before them have to be playing unbelievably to make it into England teams whereas if you’re a box to box plodder you get selected more often than not.

I think you're right but if i was him and i was seeing someone like dunk and a few others that aren't fit enough to lace his boots going in front of him it would really do your head in
It may also, to some extent, play into certain team’s hands because he himself (like we are) will question whether being at Everton has played a part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back