2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of what Southgate has done with the squad, but I am genuinely baffled he's only gone with the CB selection he has. I was sure Branthwaite would get the nod with Maguire out. I can't imagine Dunk or Guehi as England's starting left side CB. It's definitely our weakest position in the squad, so having Branthwaite in there would have, if nothing else, provided some better cover.

Well at least he can't get injured or his head turned in the squad.
England look good going forwards but weak at the back also think the manager is to timid to win a tournament.
Aye, no injury, and he’s already in the shop window should that be the case.

But hopefully not.

I’ve been a supporter of Southgate because he has transformed the mentality with going away with England. Too many times we buckled under media pressure, players stopped wanting to play.
Think chosing Dunk and Bowen over branthwait and grealish is head scratcher though.

England look good going forwards but weak at the back also think the manager is to timid to win a tournament.
He can just stay at home and read the papers bigging up his move.
I’m at peace with him leaving if the price is right

It is a very strange decision to leave out a player who many would see as the future of England's defence and potential future captain and to use the excuse that it's come too soon is nonsense. Players like Dunk, Guehi and Konsa are all your standard Premier league average Joe's and the experience and uplift for Branthwaite that this tournament would have given him definitely trumps the notion of it 'coming too soon'.

What Southgate needs to realise is that decisions like leaving out the likes of Branthwaite does is it gets many fans against him and losing their interest in the team. Some will even want them to lose to prove a point. I think originally in tournaments he had everyone on side, but now he's become very divisive and that will work to the detriment of the nations chances.

I know, but I still thought Southgate would take him

Probably would if he was allowed. Even if he had no chance of playing like he did with Coady.

Part of me thinks Maguire wanted a decent holiday as he’s fed up with the abuse and Southgate bottling it.

I just think when we play a team who know how to grind out results like Italy, Spain, France they just have too much experience and/or know-how for us. I just don't think we're strong or clever enough in these sort of games

I agree with a lot of what Southgate has done with the squad, but I am genuinely baffled he's only gone with the CB selection he has. I was sure Branthwaite would get the nod with Maguire out. I can't imagine Dunk or Guehi as England's starting left side CB. It's definitely our weakest position in the squad, so having Branthwaite in there would have, if nothing else, provided some better cover.
I can’t get over that fact he actually the closest replacement to maguire.
I cannot see anyone playing centre back with stones that I’m happy with

I’ve been a supporter of Southgate because he has transformed the mentality with going away with England. Too many times we buckled under media pressure, players stopped wanting to play.
Think chosing Dunk and Bowen over branthwait and grealish is head scratcher though.
Not massively baffling.

Grealish has not been in anything like good form for a while whereas Bowen has consistently performed.

Outside of Evertonians I don't think many are that baffled by Dunk over Bowen. Personally I'd have gone Branthwaite but I've not been in and around the camp or participated in a major international tournament so Southgate may see or believe he sees something we don't.

I just think when we play a team who know how to grind out results like Italy, Spain, France they just have too much experience and/or know-how for us. I just don't think we're strong or clever enough in these sort of games
Our top 6 players are as good as any team in the world.
Our back four is potentially the worst England back line in living memory.

Not massively baffling.

Grealish has not been in anything like good form for a while whereas Bowen has consistently performed.

Outside of Evertonians I don't think many are that baffled by Dunk over Bowen. Personally I'd have gone Branthwaite but I've not been in and around the camp or participated in a major international tournament so Southgate may see or believe he sees something we don't.
Bowen is a very good premier league player.
direct but no guile. Thought he was poor against Bosnia.
There’s not a point when I would look at the bench and not want to bring grealysh on over him. Whether to keep possession and see a game out, or to provide a bit of guile and snatch a goal.
I think most football fans are seeing branthwaite as a England player, not just Dunk, but Guehi and Konsa.

The only thing i could suggest that could rescue Southgate from his decisions is play Gomez next to Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back