2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be so top heavy with forwards is a bit strange also, considering when you consider the quality of them!

If Harry Kane is your centre forward, do you need Watkins AND Toney

If you have Saka, Palmer, Foden, Eze...even Gordon........do you need Bowen?

I understand Wharton as he's probably the most similar to Rice!

And Mainoo also

Why would you not have 3 strikers in a 26 man squad? You have 3 goalkeepers..
If Kane does his ankle in the first ten minutes then we’d be relying on one unproven striker to play 90 minutes of every match. What would you rather? A tenth choice defender? A fourth goalkeeper?

Why would you not have 3 strikers in a 26 man squad? You have 3 goalkeepers..
If Kane does his ankle in the first ten minutes then we’d be relying on one unproven striker to play 90 minutes of every match. What would you rather? A tenth choice defender? A fourth goalkeeper?
I get 3 strikers and keeping Toney even if just for penalties. What I don’t get is 6 wingers in addition to those 3 strikers.

I get 3 strikers and keeping Toney even if just for penalties. What I don’t get is 6 wingers in addition to those 3 strikers.

You would be counting Foden and Palmer there who can both play central.

At the end of the day it’s 26 players which is an awful lot. Basically 2 players for each position with an extra goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and striker.

I think the Mainoo selection confirms what many of us suspect... if Branthwaite played out last season for one of the scab 6, he'd be on the plane no questions asked.

Branthwaite made 9 more appearances than Mainoo across the season and only scored 2 fewer goals(!)

If Branthwaite isn't ready at 21, how is Mainoo ready at 19?
Quansah (aged 21) - played 17 games for RS.
Branthwaite (aged 21) - played 45 games for Everton.

Quansah (aged 21) - played 17 games for RS.
Branthwaite (aged 21) - played 45 games for Everton.

He isn’t in the squad either.

I rather suspect Southgate asked Jarrod if he wanted to loiter around as Standby but he’d probably rather go to Magaluf with his mates.

Quansah has been left out as well hasn't he?

Edit: Just remembered he's on standby... another case in point.
Not sure. I heard Sky talking about who would partner Stones in the first game. They mentioned Quansah, Gomes, Dunk and Konsa so I assumed that Branthwaite had been culled but Quansah spared.

Just checked and you're correct. WTF were Sky talking about?

Sorry, you think Kyle Walker is a better CB than Branthwaite? Why not
Branthwaite--Stones--Walker
then?
I don’t hate that.

I think with Branthwaite it’s more about Southgate playing it safe. Is what it is. England aren’t going to make or break this tournament at CB IMO.

Not sure. I heard Sky talking about who would partner Stones in the first game. They mentioned Quansah, Gomes, Dunk and Konsa so I assumed that Branthwaite had been culled but Quansah spared.

Just checked and you're correct. WTF were Sky talking about?
Gomez for me, he's the best of the mental selection of Centre back!
The irony is, Southgate wont play him there as he's selected him as a utility player

To be so top heavy with forwards is a bit strange also, considering when you consider the quality of them!

If Harry Kane is your centre forward, do you need Watkins AND Toney

If you have Saka, Palmer, Foden, Eze...even Gordon........do you need Bowen?

I understand Wharton as he's probably the most similar to Rice!

And Mainoo also

I don’t understand both Gordon and Bowen going. Fair enough they’re the direct pace option off the bench but you probably only play one of them given that Kane Foden Bellingham probably stay on the pitch regardless.

I think Rashford is a miss as he could cover that direct pacey option and be a backup at number 9 but he’s been terrible this season.

Frankly though if Foden Kane Saka is the first choice front three. It’s basically Palmer and Eze covering one side and Gordon and Bowen on the other. Feels too much to me.

Gallagher Dunk and Bowen are the three I think are fortunate to be in. Could be taking Maddison Grealish Branthwaite instead.

His press conference was nonsense. He talks about inexperienced players and how they've muscled out experienced players who haven't played as well in the second half of the season but then takes Dunk who's been guff this season and then Guehi who hasn't been as good as Branthwaite this season, then says Branthwaite isn't ready yet. Just admit you have an agenda pal.
Palace have got a great chance to really have someone's kecks down if they sell Guehi this summer.

He's another average player with a completely manufactured reputation, made to look better than he is by his partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back