Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per the official Premier League website (14 September), no other centre-back in the competition is averaging more possession regains than Branthwaite, who also ranks joint-second for the most aerial duels won per 90 minutes.

Moreover, among the 87 defenders who have started at least two matches so far, the Toffees ace is one of only 12 who are yet to be dribbled past by an opponent.

Branthwaite believes he has returned to the Blues as a much more-developed all-round player following a loan spell in the Netherlands during 2022/23 and much of that was down to the masterclass in attacking play he had to come up against in training against his coach Ruud van Nistelrooy, who broke the 20-goal barrier in four of his five seasons in England with Manchester United.

He said: “As a striker Ruud knew what defenders didn’t like so he was always giving me little tips, about body positions and how to defend against different kind of strikers, which helped me massively. The whole experience matured me as a player, as a man as well and I came back a much better player than I had been 12 months previously.”

Branthwaite added: “After games we’d go back to the training ground and look at the computers that we’d watch the games on. There would be little things about body shape with different strikers whether they were big ones or quick ones on the half-turn ready to go in behind.

“That’s something I’ve learned a lot and it’s definitely helped me coming back here because when you’re playing a high line you need to be ready to turn but also ready to go in and engage a striker. So it’s something that has definitely helped me.”

One of the major highlights of the centre-back’s season with PSV was helping them to a 2-0 win over Arsenal in the Europa League on October 27 last year at a time in which Mikel Arteta’s side were on a 13-match unbeaten run in the Premier League that wouldn’t be halted until their 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park on February 4 in Dyche’s first fixture in charge.

Recalling his previous success against the Gunners, Branthwaite said: “We qualified for the next round in the Europa League, it was a big night, a big result and showed the quality we had in that PSV team. It was something I enjoy playing on the big stage of the Europa League.

“It might help psychologically but it’s a different playing field with different players. We’ve got good quality players at Everton and we will give it our best shot and I think we will have a good chance.”

Branthwaite has now swapped European football to return to a team who came within one goal of a first relegation in 72 years last season. But although Everton are still searching for their first win this term, he is happy with the path his career is now on.

He said: “Playing regular first team football is what any young player needs. It was a massive decision for me to move to another country. It was a big risk but the risk was rewarded. I played 30 something games.

As per the official Premier League website (14 September), no other centre-back in the competition is averaging more possession regains than Branthwaite, who also ranks joint-second for the most aerial duels won per 90 minutes.

Moreover, among the 87 defenders who have started at least two matches so far, the Toffees ace is one of only 12 who are yet to be dribbled past by an opponent.

Branthwaite believes he has returned to the Blues as a much more-developed all-round player following a loan spell in the Netherlands during 2022/23 and much of that was down to the masterclass in attacking play he had to come up against in training against his coach Ruud van Nistelrooy, who broke the 20-goal barrier in four of his five seasons in England with Manchester United.

He said: “As a striker Ruud knew what defenders didn’t like so he was always giving me little tips, about body positions and how to defend against different kind of strikers, which helped me massively. The whole experience matured me as a player, as a man as well and I came back a much better player than I had been 12 months previously.”

Branthwaite added: “After games we’d go back to the training ground and look at the computers that we’d watch the games on. There would be little things about body shape with different strikers whether they were big ones or quick ones on the half-turn ready to go in behind.

“That’s something I’ve learned a lot and it’s definitely helped me coming back here because when you’re playing a high line you need to be ready to turn but also ready to go in and engage a striker. So it’s something that has definitely helped me.”

One of the major highlights of the centre-back’s season with PSV was helping them to a 2-0 win over Arsenal in the Europa League on October 27 last year at a time in which Mikel Arteta’s side were on a 13-match unbeaten run in the Premier League that wouldn’t be halted until their 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park on February 4 in Dyche’s first fixture in charge.

Recalling his previous success against the Gunners, Branthwaite said: “We qualified for the next round in the Europa League, it was a big night, a big result and showed the quality we had in that PSV team. It was something I enjoy playing on the big stage of the Europa League.

“It might help psychologically but it’s a different playing field with different players. We’ve got good quality players at Everton and we will give it our best shot and I think we will have a good chance.”

Branthwaite has now swapped European football to return to a team who came within one goal of a first relegation in 72 years last season. But although Everton are still searching for their first win this term, he is happy with the path his career is now on.

He said: “Playing regular first team football is what any young player needs. It was a massive decision for me to move to another country. It was a big risk but the risk was rewarded. I played 30 something games.
He worked with Ruud. Legend. If Jrad can stay injury free the sky is the limit. That was the main thing keeping him from the first team early on. I hope those days for him are over

Double edged sword is Branflakes.

Hope he has a really good season and lives up to expectations.

If he does, we are struggling to hold on to him come July.

Sadly he will be our defensive lynchpin for a year or two at most.
But we still need him on a new deal to get decent money for him.

He's got 60 mil to city written all over him

I think it could be much more. Young, English, tall, strong, pacey, ball playing, two-footed, left sided CB, he has potential to become the most expensive defender in the prem.

Double edged sword is Branflakes.

Hope he has a really good season and lives up to expectations.

If he does, we are struggling to hold on to him come July.

If were looking to compare with other players of similar potential that have either big figures attached to them or were previously sold then were talking £80mil.

I wonder though, if we were sat on 7pts now would posters feel the same?

If the team can gel and get us into the top half this season we could be looking at a different scenario where we keep the likes of Branthwaite and Onana.

If were looking to compare with other players of similar potential that have either big figures attached to them or were previously sold then were talking £80mil.

I wonder though, if we were sat on 7pts now would posters feel the same?

If the team can gel and get us into the top half this season we could be looking at a different scenario where we keep the likes of Branthwaite and Onana.
Would he sign a new contract if we were top half but he knew City or a top 4 club was interested? We would need him to sign a new one by next summer or end up needing to cut our losses or risk losing on a free.

Top half means very little unless you are in touch with the European places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back