2023/24 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved what I've seen, but I also remember Ancelotti making Mason Holgate look like a proper player and there being a big majority of supporters (on here at least) who were delighted at securing him to a new contract.
Yes all very true!
Think he looks a completely different player to the lad who looked young and a little unsure of himself before his loan at PSV. Look what 12 months away from the Toffees can do for you.
Seeing alot of people claiming he's as good as if not better than what John Stones was, i think that's a very high bar to set and i wont be jumping on that bandwagon after 3 or 4 games! Would be made up if he continues this rate of progression though!

For your Mason Holgate comment, also see Ben Godfrey, who even got England recognition and fans were worried he will be on Citys radar!

I don't think we will get chance to chase him off. He will be gone next summer. Pep or Arteta will snap him up.
We absolutely must throw some money at him now, so we can maximise the transfer fee.
I look forward to us not being able to shift an out of form Jarrad Branthwaite in 4 years time because no one wants to touch the ridiculous wages he is on!

Also I thought Dyche would never ever play this kid because he doesn’t play youth?
He opted for a guy in the first 3 games of the season who he had already dropped about 3 months previously ahead of Branthwaite!
Getting battered 4-0 by Villa had to happen before he gave him his shot!

Brands was a decent DoF when allowed to do his job.

Branthwaite is a Rolls Royce of a player - the year in Holland has helped him, but I thought he was ready for our team last season from what I had seen. How he never started in the team this season is a travesty tbh, and a black mark against Dyche.

He will make mistakes going forward, he’s young and I will forgive them.

I would love us to be able to build for the future with him but the big spenders will be coming very soon I fear, as he’s going to the top in my opinion (hope that’s with us!) - we just need to ensure we get the best deal possible whenever it happens.

Brands was a decent DoF when allowed to do his job.

Branthwaite is a Rolls Royce of a player - the year in Holland has helped him, but I thought he was ready for our team last season from what I had seen. How he never started in the team this season is a travesty tbh, and a black mark against Dyche.

He will make mistakes going forward, he’s young and I will forgive them.

I would love us to be able to build for the future with him but the big spenders will be coming very soon I fear, as he’s going to the top in my opinion (hope that’s with us!) - we just need to ensure we get the best deal possible whenever it happens.
Are the big spenders coming though?

Harwood Bellis kept him out the England under 21 team...............Southampton have an obligation to buy for £20m! Would City of not kept hold of him

Levi Colwill is the best of the English centre backs of that age..............Chelsea turned down £50m for him, he's also left sided, he wont be going there

Sven Botman at Newcastle (another left sided centre back) is only 18 months older than Branthwaite

Spurs have just invested £40m in a left sided centre back

Arsenal have Gabriel (25), Ben White (25), Saliba (22) & Kiwior (23) all young centre backs! They arent going to add another one!

Man Utd are a basket case

You look how long someone like Marc Guehi has stayed at Palace!

The loan abroad last year has shown how invaluable sending talented players on loan can be. Branthwaite benefitted hugely from the loan and looks a far more composed, mature young man.
We will see similar benefit for Stanley Mills this season and hopefully Reece Welch as well.

In truth I think a lot of players when sent on loan are sent with a view to finding a different club and building a career elsewhere. The number that make it in the premiership is very small.

Harwood Bellis kept him out the England under 21 team...............Southampton have an obligation to buy for £20m! Would City of not kept hold of him

Levi Colwill is the best of the English centre backs of that age..............Chelsea turned down £50m for him, he's also left sided, he wont be going there

Sven Botman at Newcastle (another left sided centre back) is only 18 months older than Branthwaite

Arsenal have Gabriel (25), Ben White (25), Saliba (22) & Kiwior (23) all young centre backs! They arent going to add another one!

I hope we can tie him to an extended contract and it would probably benefit Branthwaite not to join a CL club too early.

But, I think if he keeps going as he is currently there will be a lot of interest next summer.

Fingers crossed you’re right mate.

I mean, I like what I see so far but comparing him to Stones is a stretch. Stones was absolutely incredible on the ball from virtually the first moment he played and has gone on to be an absolute superstar. I can’t really think of any central defenders who are more composed on the ball than him. He’s better than most midfielders. Branthwaite is more of a true defender who is comfortable in possession but nothing more. He’s not ever playing fullback or midfield pivot which Stones has done with ease in his career.
He looks a lot more than just comfortable on the ball to me , he needs confidence which will come. Some if his distribution looks fantastic.

If anything he's a better defender than stones i don't think it's a stretch at all. Both at this stage of their development, very similar . Branthwaite actually played champs league too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back