2021/22 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can die as a result of drink driving, and thousands are injured a year in the UK as a result of it

I don't really see a problem with it having a strong negative stigma attached to it

But we always have a group of people on here who act like it's not a big deal for some reason when something like this happens, and that kind of terrifies me

It's absolutely a big deal and should absolutely be punished

I just can't see Everton having a clause in the contract that is a 'sacked if you drink drive' clause. If it's multiple offences, then yeah, but I'm not sure any player/agent would sign a deal like that?

I like the way the Daily Mail has described it as him having crashed his "supercar". He was driving an Audi RS Q8. Whilst they are exceptionally quick, I'm not sure I'd describe them as supercars. It's an SUV FFS lol

Guys, we're not sacking a player for drink driving, especially when we gave Gibson all those free passes

Unless it's specifically written into the contract, all he has to do is point to Chubson and he's got us in an easily actionable position

He'll get fined and a will be in the managers bad books for a while

That's about it

The worrying thing I guess is this;

If he has indeed done it, then is this a one time thing or just the first time he was caught?

If it's the latter then it doesn't speak well for his professionalism

Yeah, that's on the club to determine.

My issue is these calls to sack him etc. Would they be the same if it was DCL, Richarlison, Mina?

This is the issue. I have no doubt that some people would have zero tolerance for any player/person caught drink driving, and fairly so. I get it, totally.

But I think a lot calling for him to be sacked will only be doing it because of his injury record etc.

Yeah saw they had reported on it too.

It's pretty disappointing. He's made a big mistake

Very and has been rightly punished by the courts (and in my book has got away lucky), and the club will I'm sure punish him further.

But I highly doubt they can sack him.

But yes, if it is true, it's very disappointing.

There's not gonna be anything like tearing up his contract, but he's an idiot and that good will he's had (from some, which has been waning) will probably be disappearing altogether.

That won't be the reason he's not been playing, like.

Nah, he was on the bench against Burnley which was 5 days after this happened

Don't think this incident and his absence from the team are linked, but the lad has now probably used up any good will that was left

I'd be interested to know what sort of behavioural clauses exist in players contracts over this sort of thing. IMO, given the fact that image is really important in professional sport, there should be heavy penalties associated with this sort of thing

Yeah, that's on the club to determine.

My issue is these calls to sack him etc. Would they be the same if it was DCL, Richarlison, Mina?

This is the issue. I have no doubt that some people would have zero tolerance for any player/person caught drink driving, and fairly so. I get it, totally.

But I think a lot calling for him to be sacked will only be doing it because of his injury record etc.

Oh yeah, you see that all the time

Excuses are always found for useful players regardless of what they do

It's one of the many excruciating double standards that make life just that little bit more crap

Very and has been rightly punished by the courts (and in my book has got away lucky), and the club will I'm sure punish him further.

But I highly doubt they can sack him.

There is no real precedent of a club sacking a player for this, so it's not going to happen. But if the manager decides not to use him in his squad because of this then that's his call.

It's a very serious offence. Maybe clubs need to start taking firmer action against it.

When you've come back from serious injuries that have halted your career to even do such a thing that could have caused more injuries to your body or to someone else is outrageous, He won't get sacked he'll either be blacklisted by Benitez or he'll get a stern talking too and everyone moves on.
No other club will buy him either so yeah, Just give him a telling off and work on making him useable for us.

There is no real precedent of a club sacking a player for this, so it's not going to happen. But if the manager decides not to use him in his squad because of this then that's his call.

It's a very serious offence. Maybe clubs need to start taking firmer action against it.
It doesn't really matter if the manager decides to use him in the squad or not, he's never fit enough to play.

I've always had great sympathy for the lad, but, you really can't be going on the lash as a pro footballer these days, just doesn't allow the required fitness levels to be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.