• Poor

• Overrated ponce

• Chico on toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
311ab87178f17d227f8d63e2d60e49a087ab88293a3dede983a0e04acef83316.jpg

OK then, since you asked for it.

"Chico" isn't inherently derogatory. It means "boy". Also, in context, it refers to a username on this site. Therefore, it is either used as a neutral descriptive noun or, in your case, in jest.

"Ponce", at it's core, is a derogatory term for either a homosexual, or to dismiss the perceived masculinity of a male and equate them negatively to a homosexual. It has other meanings, but all of which are archaic, as is the word itself, but it still finds usage mainly in terms of its' negative connotations towards homosexuals.

I've already acknowledged that it is archaic, I've already acknowledged I understood it wasn't malicious, and I haven't reported it. However, using such words, even casually, reinforced the negative, so in my view it would have been better if that word in this context wasn't used.

It isn't a big deal, but as you won't shut up about it, I've had to ridiculously explain why the word wasn't ideal - and that's all it was; not ideal. Accept it, learn from it, move on.

You have answered a question I haven't posed....................now why not explain about the babies then possibly you can shut up!

Ponce here is in a derogatory context (rating a man as a negative), and by that nature - I can understand issue. Hate to reference urban dictionary, but;

a ponce is a derogatory description of someone who is judged to be gay, appear gay or have some other attributes or characteristics that others find amusing and not in a nice way.

It's cultural and generational, I was once pulled up on here for a phrase used commonly in Liverpool - @monty's sound and means no malice, @Tubey likewise.

I know most are on a windup here... but if any aren't - trust me, ponce is certainly a word to avoid in a derogatory context. Example. "That Tom Daley is a bad ponce" wouldn't go down well in most parts of the UK.

OK then, since you asked for it.

"Chico" isn't inherently derogatory. It means "boy". Also, in context, it refers to a username on this site. Therefore, it is either used as a neutral descriptive noun or, in your case, in jest.

"Ponce", at it's core, is a derogatory term for either a homosexual, or to dismiss the perceived masculinity of a male and equate them negatively to a homosexual. It has other meanings, but all of which are archaic, as is the word itself, but it still finds usage mainly in terms of its' negative connotations towards homosexuals.

I've already acknowledged that it is archaic, I've already acknowledged I understood it wasn't malicious, and I haven't reported it. However, using such words, even casually, reinforced the negative, so in my view it would have been better if that word in this context wasn't used.

It isn't a big deal, but as you won't shut up about it, I've had to ridiculously explain why the word wasn't ideal - and that's all it was; not ideal. Accept it, learn from it, move on.

tumblr_mldvk2AsEX1ql8p4no1_500.gif

Ponce here is in a derogatory context (rating a man as a negative), and by that nature - I can understand issue. Hate to reference urban dictionary, but;

It's cultural and generational, I was once pulled up on here for a phrase used commonly in Liverpool - @monty's sound and means no malice, @Tubey likewise.

I know most are on a windup here... but if any aren't - trust me, ponce is certainly a word to avoid in a derogatory context. Example. "That Tom Daley is a bad ponce" wouldn't go down well in most parts of the UK.

That is well sorted GOT but the answer as to why complaining about ponce when others had discussed cooking babies in the same thread suggests to me that the complainant was simply moaning for moaning sake or mounting a high horse without checking the saddle first

That is well sorted GOT but the answer as to why complaining about ponce when others had discussed cooking babies in the same thread suggests to me that the complainant was simply moaning for moaning sake or mounting a high horse without checking the saddle first

... because "cooking babies" doesn't have the same serious, widespread social repercussions when part of an obvious joke that the word "ponce" does when used in an obviously negative context. One is socially damaging to a whole set of people - the other is implausible when set against reality. They're not the same thing, which - again - confirms you know nothing about what connotation and context means.

This isn't rocket science FFS.

... because "cooking babies" doesn't have the same serious, widespread social repercussions when part of an obvious joke that the word "ponce" does when used in an obviously negative context. One is socially damaging to a whole set of people - the other is implausible when set against reality. They're not the same thing, which - again - confirms you know nothing about what connotation and context means.

This isn't rocket science FFS.
Knock em dead Tubes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back