Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who we talking about? Robles? If so .... I asked the same question before... I asked what else can he do to get people to trust him and eventually recognise him as a gods keeper... all I can think of is that he just needs to keep doing what he's doing... I rate him and I have completely changed my opinion that I had after his first games for us
I was replying to your previous post mate, specifically the bit where you said he could become top class. In my opinion, his form this season has been top class, but he hasn't been playing anywhere near long enough at that level of consistency/performance to be considered a top class keeper yet. My question is how long does he need to keep these performance levels up before we can consider him top class.?

Personally, if he keeps his form for the remainder of the season I'd like to see him given the jersey for next season too. If he keeps it up the following season, then he deserves the accolade. The problem we have with Joel is that the memories of his first couple of seasons here are all too recent, so all it could take is a couple of errors that lead to goals in back to back games and he'll be back to square one. He practically has to play the perfect game every week.

For a start, he shouldn't have been signed by Martinez, or played for Wigan... That's on him.

Also, he should never have ever made a mistake before. That kind of thing ruins careers.

And he should have started his career as the finished article. He should have had a much greater level of experience at a higher level, and still kept on improving at the rate he has.

In short, he should be the world's 1st impenetrable goalkeeper, and he should still have been cheap enough and low profile enough that he would gladly come and wait patiently for his chance at Everton.

If he can go back and fix all of this, most people will be sound with him.

Until he tells the street end to calm down again.
Exactly.

If we brought him in now as first choice keeper with a clean sheet, so to speak, he would get a much easier ride. as it is, I get the feeling that he's only ever going to be as good as is next mistake. As I said in previous post, he practically has to play the perfect game every week. No pressure there then.;)

I was replying to your previous post mate, specifically the bit where you said he could become top class. In my opinion, his form this season has been top class, but he hasn't been playing anywhere near long enough at that level of consistency/performance to be considered a top class keeper yet. My question is how long does he need to keep these performance levels up before we can consider him top class.?

Personally, if he keeps his form for the remainder of the season I'd like to see him given the jersey for next season too. If he keeps it up the following season, then he deserves the accolade. The problem we have with Joel is that the memories of his first couple of seasons here are all too recent, so all it could take is a couple of errors that lead to goals in back to back games and he'll be back to square one. He practically has to play the perfect game every week.

Might have come across different to how I meant... I was saying that I had asked the same question earlier to someone else.. as in he's playing top class but cannot be considered top class unless he keeps it up... and I also was thinking the same as you.. as in how long until he is a top class keeper (how long does he need to keep it up for ) I would give him a contract and give him until the end of next season to gage how good he is .

Yes all that is fair. The question is how much would it cost. I do believe we are in a situation that resources aren't a problem per se, if Leno agreed to come Moshiri would make it happen. However next season we want to be changing as little as possible and focussing on quality in areas more desperate. Left sided player, centre half in particular.

I remember a similar transformation with Myhre who after a promising start fell short. Maybe Robles will follow suit, but he has done very well so far and deserves a run. If he continues this form and adds another 6/7 clean sheets before the end of the season he will have earnt a crack at number 1 next season.
I hear what you say about resources mate, but still feel that they aren't bottomless. Before Robles came back into the team, I felt the squad was short in 5 areas.

Keeper
Left sided player who could also play wing back role
Centre Back (perhaps even 2)
Attacking midfielder/playmaker
Back up striker.

IMO we didn't address these area's in the January window. We brought in a CM (who is totally boss by the way so that's not a criticism) and Lookman, who is actually getting a lot more playing time than I think the management team expected. Robles form, if he keeps it up of course, means that we can maybe reduce that shopping list to 4 positions. To bring in the quality of player we need will still probably cost well over £100m. At those prices, not having to fork out £25m+ on a keeper will be most welcome.

Would be a big mistake imo. Struggle to see who we could realistically in that's better than Robles on current form. Lukaku, Barkley, Robles are the three contract situations we should concentrate on getting sorted.

...I agree with your assessment but if the lad isn't prepared to sign a new contract there's little we can do. I don't know if that's the case but it has to be a possibility. He's never been a regular until now so he might see his future somewhere else. I assume he's done enough to be offered a new deal and if so much may depend on assurances of being given the no1 jersey.

Personally, I'm not convinced with any of the players we are linked with (Heaton, Schmeichel; Hart; Pickford et al).

Last edited:

Might have come across different to how I meant... I was saying that I had asked the same question earlier to someone else.. as in he's playing top class but cannot be considered top class unless he keeps it up... and I also was thinking the same as you.. as in how long until he is a top class keeper (how long does he need to keep it up for ) I would give him a contract and give him until the end of next season to gage how good he is .
Yeah I agree. We need to get some sort of new contract sorted by the summer. Personally I think we should offer him a modest pay rise, maybe to £40kpw or so, with a promise to review this if he is still No1 by the end of next season. It's the type of contract youngsters like Barkley and Stones have been on and should work with Robles as in keeping terms, he's probably at the same stage in his career as they were a couple of seasons ago.

...I agree with your assessment but if the lad isn't prepared to sign a new contract there's little we can do. I don't know if that's the case but it has to be a possibility. He's never been a regular until now so he might see his future somewhere else. I assume he's done enough to be offered a new deal and if so much may depend on assurances of being given the no1 jersey.

Personally, I'm not convinced with any of the players we are linked with (Heaton, Schmeichal; Hart; Pickford et al).
Agreed on that mate. Think Robles has every right to look for some kind of assurances. Happened too many times in the past that he lost his place for no obvious reasons to both Howard and Stek. So wouldn't blame him for being a bit sceptical about signing any potential new contract at Everton. Needs to be shown some faith by Koeman imo before he'll commit.

Personally, I'm not convinced with any of the players we are linked with (Heaton, Schmeichel; Hart; Pickford et al).
If he continues for the rest of the season (in his current form obviously), and is told he will start next season as number 1, do you think he wouldn't sign a new contract?.

I personally think he'll jump at the chance Eggs.

..I suspect/hope he would with that proviso.
If he carried on this form I think he would have earned the opportunity to be given the number 1 slot for next season, and would be disappointed if he wasn't. We would have more important area's to strengthen than keeper and wouldn't be happy using a large chunk of our summer transfer budget on this position.

If he carried on this form I think he would have earned the opportunity to be given the number 1 slot for next season, and would be disappointed if he wasn't. We would have more important area's to strengthen than keeper and wouldn't be happy using a large chunk of our summer transfer budget on this position.

...makes sense, Matey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back