Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
fellaini, lescott, rooney and arteta have been our big sales in recent years

fellaini -release clause

arteta - wanted to go,good money for a 30 year old

lescott - wanted to go and we got a ridiculous fee

rooney - we needed the money apparently, so bad deal

so rooney was the only one were we 'had' to sell cos of our financial issues

as long as stones is happy to stay and we dont get a crazy bid(not sure what this is exactly but 40 mill is the price in my head) he will stay

We most definitely "had" to sell Arteta as well. Banks wanted the money, hence why it was never seen again. Moyes even admitted this.

Rooney was another, we can debate whether or not he wanted to go all day, but we were in dire financial straits back then. We only saw a fraction of that guaranteed £23m invested back into the team.

Lescott, Fellaini and even Rodwell in recent years have been big sales but the money has largely all been reinvested.

With the Lescott money we bought Distin, Heitinga and Bilyaletdinov. With the Rodwell money we bought Mirallas, Pienaar and Oviedo. With the Fellaini money, we spent it all on Lukaku, basically.

EDIT - There's no way I want to lose Stones this early though. If he goes to the Euros as England's starting centre back next summer (very possible), we could legitimately be talking in excess of £40m next year - Chelsea probably know this which is why they're trying to push a deal through now.

I don't have a problem with player trading, even if it's one of your better players that you sell, provided you end up stronger as a result.

Shouldn't we be receiving an instalment from Manchester United for Fellaini?

People seem to forget that we sold Fellaini Jelavic and Anichebe and Martinez saved the majority of that cash because he wanted to wait for Lukaku.

Doesn't a 27.5 million sale all but cancel out a 28 million purchase?

Anichebe went for 6 million and Jelavic 7.5, so doesn't that cancel out a 13 million buy of McCarthy?

We've brought Besic and had to pay for loans and bits and pieces etc, but I'm struggling to see a major outlay in transfers these last few seasons.

In fact it's buttons compared to the TV revenue the club has recieved.
As Bill would say watch this space. While all the money goes in my back pocket.

Are they coming in with another bid? Has there actually been an announcement that they'll put another bid in or something?

It seems clear to me from what Martinez has said that we dont want to sell him and Chelsea's approach has been very underhand. What more should we do?

Exactly what we did with baines. Put it out there publically that Stones isn't for sale

Shouldn't we be receiving an instalment from Manchester United for Fellaini?

People seem to forget that we sold Fellaini Jelavic and Anichebe and Martinez saved the majority of that cash because he wanted to wait for Lukaku.

Doesn't a 27.5 million sale all but cancel out a 28 million purchase?

Anichebe went for 6 million and Jelavic 7.5, so doesn't that cancel out a 13 million buy of McCarthy?

We've brought Besic and had to pay for loans and bits and pieces etc, but I'm struggling to see a major outlay in transfers these last few seasons.

In fact it's buttons compared to the TV revenue the club has recieved.

It's not really as straight forward as that

When you sell a player all the value appears immediately in the accounts whereas if you buy a player their value is written off over the term of the contract.

In effect that would mean all the players sold would already have been accounted for in both the full accounts and the profit and loss.

If you se the 2013/14 accounts as a line in the sand when the increased TV deal was included and on the basis that there hasn't been a significant uplift in normal revenues my guess is before player trading the club will just about break even although I wouldn't underestimate the cost albeit over a short period of Eto

Since June 2014 transfer activity has just about been one way with the likes of Barry, Lukaku and Besic coming in so you will need to factor in probably another £7 million in amortised player costs

Put all that together and I would expect there to be at best a small profit but more likely a loss in the next lot of accounts as opposed to the significant profit reflected in the last accounts

Having said all that the problem isn't so much the accounts but the availability of cash.

I along with just about everyone who posts on here can only guess the terms of each transfer. The real ace that Everton held when Fellani was sold wasn't the price but over what term would the fee was to be paid . It's possible that some was still owed from when he signed for Everton which would have to be paid once he was sold meaning that his fee would have been front loaded so subsequent instalments , if there were any, probably wouldn't be as big as some would think

Again we can only guess as to what the terms where when Lukaku signed but the suggestion has always been on here it was pretty much averaged over the term of the contracts of if that's right pretty soon a £5 million or so payment is due and the question is more about finding it from reserves or borrowings and based on recent history I doubt that is quite straight forward so I wouldn't just dismiss the need to sale someone even if that someone isn't Stones

Then sit back and read 100+ pages of discussion on a Zouma/Stones swap deal of some kind.

The irony is that they are looking to put Zouma out on loan for a full season in the PL Didnt someone once say something along the lines of if you dismiss the impossible you are let with possibilities

I think the club are handling this in exactly the right manner.
We do not want to get dragged into a war of words with Chelsea.It will simply serve to keep the issue on the back pages and that kind of publicity we can do without.
The club has made it's position clear and if Chelsea make another bid, again , the detail of that will have to come from Chelsea.
Let them bid, we reject the bid and move on.
I think Chelsea probably realise by now the player will not be moving.

If we sold Stones and Mirallas the money could really change the squad up. I seen mertens was available for £10m and we could go in for ziyech who would probably go for cheap. A striker and two defenders.

If we sold Stones and Mirallas the money could really change the squad up. I seen mertens was available for £10m and we could go in for ziyech who would probably go for cheap. A striker and two defenders.

To replace Stones and Mirallas like for like would cost eye watering money for players who simply would not come to Everton. Therefore we'd dilute quality to get quantity and end up with a better squad but poorer first 11 in those two positions. Mirallas is massively underrated. Valuations less than 15 mill are a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back