• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
this lad is gonna come good this season. can see the likes of chelsea and Man U taking an interest in a couple of seasons. they wont be able to afford him.

His mistake against Watford is not the last such error he'll make, but it's what you would expect of a young centre half. He had no reason to dive in there, I think he was just feeling a bit cocky and wanted to steal the ball to start a counter quickly. He'll learn not to take those risks as time goes on.

He's mistimed challenges before, but this is the first time I can recall an attacking player embarrassing him like that with a feint. If we hold onto him, the healthy dose of humility he got will be more than worth the 2 dropped points in the long run.

Here's the elephant in the living room (something counterintuitive to the accepted belief): Stones + Jagielka is NOT a good CD partnership.

Stones needs a talker next to him if he's to learn how to defend. At Chelsea he'd be getting the bollocking of all bollockings from "JT".

The best thing that could happen to Stones now is if we go out and get a leader who can fit in alongside him.

Jagielka is a solid performer, but not the mentor Stones needs.
.... What?

It's not as if Stones was caught out of position. He made a stupid decision to dive in, and he knew it was a stupid decision a millisecond after he started going to ground, which is why he laid down with his head in the ground in utter despair after.

Do you really think it would have helped him develop if Jags came up to him and said "Stonesy you shouldn't have slid in there because you missed the ball and that allowed them to score!"

Being a leader doesn't mean you need to be petulant asshole to those around you, one of the hallmarks of a good leader is knowing when things don't need to be said.

...on that showing there'll be no £30M+ bid!

He's all at sea defensively. He cost us big time there today.

He'll be very good eventually. But that's why I wasn't beside myself at the thought of him leaving: he really should be at another club making these mistakes and knocking off the rough edges. If Chelsea come back with £35M I'd take their arm off.
What did you value him at before? How much did one unnecessary challenge in one game from a 21 year old centre half change his valuation in your mind?

Posting from summer 2013?
just a bit of sarcasm to see if we could shift the john stones chat away from the 'chelsea bid' section and in here where I reckon it belongs now. although to be fair we are still just seeing promise rather than the finished article. One 'glass half full' thing is that while he plays with Howard behind him he will not get into bad habits like assuming you dont have to try because your keeper will save anything or come out and collect a cross

Last edited:
His last game at his old club before hes sold and we spend about 2mil on replacement and ask in january wheres the Stones money Bill

Made a big mistake yesterday.
He actually made two.

He missed the header for the first goal and dived in for the second but that's what happens with young players who are given time to develop. Even established players make mistakes.

I don't think that you can read anything else into his performance which was otherwise fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back