• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing you have to break a team down to win the game and that they won't attack much, so start Smalling and Cahill. Hodgson logic. That England team was crying out for composure on the ball at the back and incisive passing. Stones should have played.

Or maybe his stupid mistake would cost you a point and a second place, who knows

So Stallings mistake last night when he chested the ball back - I am waiting to see the utter outcry that would happen if that was Stones.

Stones makes mistakes because he is young in the game, i think every accepts that to a degree. However the absolute slating of him by the media and "experts" every time he makes a small mistake is a joke, considering the likes of Smalling and Cahill make mistakes too. Talk sport this morning mentioned it for 2 seconds, last time stones made a mistake they had every tom [Poor language removed] and harry on saying how he was a risk.

Bollocks to that.

So Stallings mistake last night when he chested the ball back - I am waiting to see the utter outcry that would happen if that was Stones.

Stones makes mistakes because he is young in the game, i think every accepts that to a degree. However the absolute slating of him by the media and "experts" every time he makes a small mistake is a joke, considering the likes of Smalling and Cahill make mistakes too. Talk sport this morning mentioned it for 2 seconds, last time stones made a mistake they had every tom [Poor language removed] and harry on saying how he was a risk.

Bollocks to that.

His mistakes havnt been small for Everton this season though. Lost of them have resulted in goals.

You are right, everyone makes mistakes. Smallings should not have lead to an outcry because nothing came from it in the end. Why would there be an outcry over something that didnt happen?

His mistakes havnt been small for Everton this season though. Lost of them have resulted in goals.

You are right, everyone makes mistakes. Smallings should not have lead to an outcry because nothing came from it in the end. Why would there be an outcry over something that didnt happen?

Because there is for stones, the other week in the warm up game when the ball came and he headed it over his head and turned. the next morning there was about 10 "pundits" on the radio slating him. Nothing came from that and it didn't present a dangerous opportunity, like last night did.

I just think there is a bit of vilification of Stones because of his mistakes this season, all young defenders do it - Rio Ferdinand made absolutely horrific choices sometimes but wasn't vilified for it. In my opinion Stones is a better player then both Smalling and Cahill.

I for one am more than happy that Roy isn't playing either Stones or Ross, I would gladly welcome them both back to pre-season fully rested and wanting to prove him wrong (and also injury free). If they both had excellent games in the euro's then the press would be trying to sell them to 'better clubs' more than they currently are! Also if they did make mistakes they would get hounded unlike Wiltshire and Henderson who have stunk the place out (along with many others!)

I like watching England and want us to do well but its club over country for me 100%.

Because there is for stones, the other week in the warm up game when the ball came and he headed it over his head and turned. the next morning there was about 10 "pundits" on the radio slating him. Nothing came from that and it didn't present a dangerous opportunity, like last night did.

I just think there is a bit of vilification of Stones because of his mistakes this season, all young defenders do it - Rio Ferdinand made absolutely horrific choices sometimes but wasn't vilified for it. In my opinion Stones is a better player then both Smalling and Cahill.
Completely agree, unfortunately he's another victim of Martinez's failure to coach properly and set up his teams defensively. In terms of his ability to come forward with the ball England were crying out for that last night. Hopefully he stays because I think we'll see an improvement after being coached by Koeman.

He is a better player. Is he a better defender though? Im not so sure about that.

Or maybe his stupid mistake would cost you a point and a second place, who knows

You obviously didn't watch the game, because if you did you would have seen Smalling make an absolute cock up that very nearly got Slovakia a goal.

Cahill and Smalling have both made way more mistakes this season than Stones.

I for one am more than happy that Roy isn't playing either Stones or Ross, I would gladly welcome them both back to pre-season fully rested and wanting to prove him wrong (and also injury free). If they both had excellent games in the euro's then the press would be trying to sell them to 'better clubs' more than they currently are! Also if they did make mistakes they would get hounded unlike Wiltshire and Henderson who have stunk the place out (along with many others!)

I like watching England and want us to do well but its club over country for me 100%.

Agree with everything apart from the last part... I can't stand watching England. Couldn't care less when/if we lose. We've drawn against one of the worst teams in the tournament in Russia, managed to scrape past a poor Wales team (on the day) thanks to two scrappy goals and hardly made Slovakia work for a 0-0 draw.

I had the genuine pleasure of watching Wales play yesterday as I was covering that match. They were excellent, and tore a Russia side that we failed to beat apart with ease.

He is a better player. Is he a better defender though? Im not so sure about that.

I think he is. Cahill is more the old school defender, and is probably a better "defender". Smalling isn't a better defender or player.

Some of the decisions Smalling makes throughout the season absolutely baffles some of the mancs i work with, they rage about him more then we do about Stones.

I think he is. Cahill is more the old school defender, and is probably a better "defender". Smalling isn't a better defender or player.

Some of the decisions Smalling makes throughout the season absolutely baffles some of the mancs i work with, they rage about him more then we do about Stones.

I'd say the opposite tbh mate - Smalling for me is a decent defender but clumsy as sin and is awful on the ball - does tend to dive in a lot as well - but his pace and strength do see him win a lot of the ball. Cahill I just think is pure garbage. Was carried through by a 34-year-old John Terry the season before last and now we're seeing how pony he actually is.

I'd say the opposite tbh mate - Smalling for me is a decent defender but clumsy as sin and is awful on the ball - does tend to dive in a lot as well - but his pace and strength do see him win a lot of the ball. Cahill I just think is pure garbage. Was carried through by a 34-year-old John Terry the season before last and now we're seeing how pony he actually is.

Hahaha, horses for courses and all that.

Smalling gets away with a lot of his howlers because he is fast. I do not see him making the same types of interceptions and reading the game like Stones does. Smalling has to make some dive in tackles because he doesnt read the game as well.

Cahill is a limited defender, but i would see him more as put his head in where it hurts. Stones is a much better player then him there is no doubt.

However, i do feel that a perfect back partnership is someone who has the ability as Stones, with someone who is a little more of an old school defender.

Bollocks to that.

I think the media have a hidden agenda with John.

They magnify his mistakes with the intention of sending out a subliminal message to him that he needs to leave Everton and go to an "elite" club in order to improve his game.

Which clearly isn't a necessity at all because as Smalling proved last night, he is a disaster waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back