• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
And with the increased revenue that will allow us to up the wages of other players and other new signings.
exactly.

the bigger picture would be if we only added 2-3 new players for the rest of the window it would allow us at least one big name. Considering in that scenario we are signing a defender and goalkeeper, having more leeway then to at the very least go big on an attacker or another midfielder.

The other thing not really ebing mentioned much is other player sales. For arguments sake mirallas / mcCarthy / kone all will free up significant enough wages at the same time, kone's 35k replaced by a younger striker? Mirallas must be 50 grand replaced by a younger winger? McCarthy 35-50 offsetting a replacement for him etc

The sale of a player to free up the FFP money doesn't have to take place in this window, only in this financial year. Slight gamble leaving it till January but I imagine by then we'll have a few players not happy at their lack of minutes so more scope to move people on.

exactly.

the bigger picture would be if we only added 2-3 new players for the rest of the window it would allow us at least one big name. Considering in that scenario we are signing a defender and goalkeeper, having more leeway then to at the very least go big on an attacker or another midfielder.

The other thing not really ebing mentioned much is other player sales. For arguments sake mirallas / mcCarthy / kone all will free up significant enough wages at the same time, kone's 35k replaced by a younger striker? Mirallas must be 50 grand replaced by a younger winger? McCarthy 35-50 offsetting a replacement for him etc

Yeh I agree with the principle mate, though I doubt Mirallas or McCarthy will leave this window.

Kev will flourish under Koeman IMO, and McCarthy could too if played in that holding role in RK's preferred 4-3-3 - I know you only mentioned those players for arguments' sake, though.

The sale of a player to free up the FFP money doesn't have to take place in this window, only in this financial year. Slight gamble leaving it till January but I imagine by then we'll have a few players not happy at their lack of minutes so more scope to move people on.

Stones will go this window if he goes mate.

Of course. No hesitation at all.

I'd spend £20m on Bonucci as a replacement and line him up alongside RFM, with Jags as the 3rd CB. Then wait for Holgate, Galloway and Pennington to come through.

Bonucci would cost much, much more than £20mil mate

It's really simple.

We need to generate a chunk of profit in order to be able to increase our wage bill. We can do this either by

a) selling several players who didn't cost much initially (think McGeady, Cleverley, Besic, Coleman)
b) selling Barkley
c) selling Lukaku
d) selling Stones

Nobody is going to give us 10p for McGeady. No-one outside of Everton rates Besic. We might get £8m for Cleverley from someone like Newcastle. Coleman would probably still get us £20m. Call it £30m overall?

Barkley might fetch £30m (he's basically not gone to the Euros, tailed off a bit at the end of the season, but is still young and English, with clear potential). He's replaceable as a #10, with the likes of Mata being linked to us.

Lukaku.... given how much we paid for him, we have to sell him at a higher price to show a decent profit. We also have to consider that we would HAVE to go out an buy a top striker to replace him: Kone and Niasse are not viable. Of the perm-proven strikers in the market only three are on a par or better than Lukaku: Vardy, Kane and Aguero. None are available to buy, and two of them I wouldn't actually want. So if we sell Lukaku for £65m, will City let us take Aguero for £40m? No, I don't think so either.

This leaves us with Stones. Looking at your comment again they are actually reasons why, if we NEED to sell someone, Stones is the guy to go. His nationality, combined with the fact that he's wanted by several top prem clubs, is what will lead to him attracting a (near?)world-record fee. Yes, Koeman could improve him. Yes, 15% of the fee goes to Barnsley. Neither of these facts are reasons not to sell him.

Look, if someone offers us £8m for McGeady, £14m for Cleverley and £16m for Besic then sure, we can keep Stones and go on our shopping spree. But no-one wants them. You can only sell what people want to buy.

Coleman £20 million LOL

Coleman £20 million LOL

I'm baffled that anybody would want us to sell Coleman anyway, and that they think that massive squad overhaul breeds success. Look at all the clubs that have tried that in the Prem over the last few years (Liverpool being the primary example).

It does not work!

I'm baffled that anybody would want us to sell Coleman anyway, and that they think that massive squad overhaul breeds success. Look at all the clubs that have tried that in the Prem over the last few years (Liverpool being the primary example).

It does not work!
i agree Coleman will have a great season next term he owes us one i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back