• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic on the ball but was he really that good in defence, I saw a player who was often found out of position and couldn't out jump the opposition in the box. I like the guy but really don't think we will miss him that much and maybe think he will end up being a defensive midfielder. He is taking a risk and I hope I'm not right in saying that it may not go well for him.

Agree about his defending. His marking isn't always great and is weak defending in the air. Exceptional with the ball though and amazing passing skills. Potential to become a top draw midfielder.

It'll be interesting to see if his defending improves under a better manager, wether that's Pep or RK. Martinez was useless defensively. If Stones improves his defending he'll be one of the best in the world. I do think we'll be stronger currently with a defender who excels at defending first instead of Stones, so although I'll be gutted if he goes it may work out best for everyone. There's a chance he may not develop defensively, although I think he will get better but I imagine he'll end up playing in midfield if that's the case. City might even be planning on using him in midfield anyway. Who knows ...

Auntie Beeb sticking the boot rar in.

Manchester City are in talks with Everton over the possible signing of England defender John Stones.

A deal is yet to be agreed but it is thought the two Premier League clubs are not far apart in their valuations.

It is thought City will pay about £50m to sign the 22-year-old former Barnsley player, who came close to joining Chelsea last summer.

Stones was part of the England squad at Euro 2016 but did not feature as they were knocked out in the last 16.

He made his debut for Barnsley in March 2012, 10 months before joining Everton for £3m.

City boss Pep Guardiola has identified the Yorkshireman as the kind of central defender who fits his approach to the game.

"Normally central defenders are strong in the air and aggressive," said Guardiola on Wednesday.

"But we need to have a good build-up to create easy passes in the midfield so they can create good passes for the strikers. I believe when the ball goes from the central defender to the striker as quickly as possible, it comes as quickly as possible back.

"That is why the players in that area need quality. By 31 August we will have the right squad to play how we want."

Guardiola used midfielders Javier Mascherano and Javi Martinez as central defenders while managing Barcelona and Bayern Munich respectively.

And the Spaniard has identified a City midfielder who could step into the back four if required.

"Fernandinho can play in 10 positions," he said.

"He is quick, fast, intelligent, aggressive. He is strong in the air and has the quality to play good build-up, can go right or left and can pass long."

Wrong uns.

Reading that Citeh are coming bottom half next season. You cannot play purist football in this league, especially in the winter. If your defenders lack aggression and an ability to defend crosses properly you will get had off by the likes of West Brom and Stoke.

I'm happy when he goes because I think it will kick off our own transfer activity. Fantastic talent but if Koeman is going to play pressing football, we then need a better defender.(as opposed to all round player).

And Money can't buy you Stones- Urm yes it can 50 million plus is hard to turn down for a centre half with the skill of a midfielder, but cannot win a defensive header like most of our defence though- sad if he goes IMO!
I thought we were super rich evidently not?

And Money can't buy you Stones- Urm yes it can 50 million plus is hard to turn down for a centre half with the skill of a midfielder, but cannot win a defensive header like most of our defence though- sad if he goes IMO!
I thought we were super rich evidently not?
What has being rich got to do with it EVERY club has a price for a player

You bid enough and the likes of Chelsea and Man City will sell. It nothing to do with how rich you are. Let's be honest a few years back and we would be selling everybody.

If he goes, will be a huge miss.

Gets slated for being a dodgy defender but in all truth he's probably the best one we've got.

Gonna miss the lad. Hope he goes on to fulfil his potential because he's the most talented player I've personally seen play at the club, bar Rooney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back