Join me in the spirit realm.

Beware of Chelsea coffee !

EdZmNdBWsAUPi6Q
"She knocked the constable's helmet an illegal distance " lol

Got a bit of a billy bonus last pay check so went a little nuts at the Whiskey Exchange

View attachment 96572

Couple of rums, one from Antigua, one from Trinidad, a nice sounding sipping tequila, and some weird tea gin for the lady. Will update as they are sampled.
I'm mostly a beer drinker but thinking I need a go-to spirit and I think it's gonna be dark rum for me. Would you be able to recommend one for a beginner? You've posted a few good ones in here, would they be wasted on me?

Despite multiple people raving about this to me, I've never found it even remotely palatable...

Proper Marmite drink...
Never used to like Laphroaig. Now that I've grown up I love it.
Never used to like Marmite. Now that I've grown up I still don't.

This doesn't mean that I'm suggesting you have not grown up.

I'm mostly a beer drinker but thinking I need a go-to spirit and I think it's gonna be dark rum for me. Would you be able to recommend one for a beginner? You've posted a few good ones in here, would they be wasted on me?
Well the good thing about rum is, even if you pick one up you're not keen on you can lash ginger beer and a wedge of lime in it and it's not a total loss!

Rum tends not to be as wallet busting as scotch, you can get really fine examples for £30-40. It depends a bit on what your local stores carry in Germany. Kirk & Sweeney goes for about £30 in supermarkets here, that's excellent. El Dorado is pretty widely available, that's really good. Plantation's range are good but the taste profile varies a lot depending on where they have got it from. Black Barrel are good as well.

Be careful with spiced rums, some are fine but a lot are loaded with syrup, and basically a liqueur. That's ok if that's what you're after, but not very representative of good rum, anything with an ABV below 40% is likely to fall into that category.

My advice would be to try a half dozen different styles if and when you're out and see what you're into.

If you don't mind paying for postage from somewhere like The Whiskey Exchange or Master Of Malt (or a continental equivalent), you can't go wrong with Diplomatico Exclusiva:

It's a bit pricey like (£40), but it's just delicious, absolute nectar.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back