2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think worst keeper in the league is pushing it a bit mate, even as someone who's not his biggest fan.

On Saturday, Pickford made a wonderful save at 0-0. Point blank range, tipping it into the bar. Very few other goalkeepers make that.

People have just grown immune to that though. I can understand it too. It's not for me to convince people to look at Pickford objectively, but he does lots of things very well. Prior to the Leicester mistake, I thought he had been fantastic after the derby (where he makes 2 wonderful saves).

Carlo has improved him. Whether that's enough, who knows?

I like Olsen too, and was one of the few on here who said hed be a good backup when he came. I'd probably prefer Olsen too, but Pickford does do things Olsen couldn't.

I look at that Fabianski today, only saw the first two goals. He should save them both. It's just one small example. If Pickford let's them in, people slaughter him.
Just to give a stats update on this, the stat that is considered the best for judging shot stopping ability has him third worst. Patricio and Mat Ryan are below him. However Mat Ryan only just has enough matches to qualify and his replacement who eventually will take his spot in the leaderboard is better than Pickford. Add in Jordan's errors and for me the case is there to be made that he is the worst.

Fabianski definitely should not have saved those if you're talking about the Salah ones. I find that to be a weird take tbh. That first goal was a screamer and the second was a 1v1. And to your point I haven't been in here slaughtering Pickford for Saturday because in isolation he hasn't really done much wrong but it is frustrating to me that he's had very few games this year, if any, where we've picked up more points than we ought to have because he really stepped up.

The team were getting battered and it was when, not if we conceeded for me, the game has no effect on how we do in others-we were just defending to much to not conceed, been waiting and wondering has anyone who blamed him for wednesday used that excuse as to why we played so bad yesterday, as their will be some for a cert as there always is lol

Agree that the point of conceding against Leicester was the end of a quite concerted means - looked like they were gonna score for some time.

We have quite a mismatch between our defence and the GK. The most suitable defensive strategy for our centre halves is to drop deep, defend the six yard line, with midfield compressing the space, and make plenty of blocks and clearances. What Mina and Keane lack in pace they make up for in determination and aerial presence. However this doesn't work for Jordan, who is too small and scared to be that goalkeeper who is calm and decisive with a lot of players crowding around him. He is not, as variously claimed, a shot stopper, but instead quite a flashy keeper who does the easy stuff badly and the hard the stuff well - playing with his feet, worldy saves and 1-2-1 duels with strikers (pens or clean through). Jordan suits a team who play a higher line, where he can be sweeper keeper and his actions are limited to saving long shots or one on ones - which are his strong points.

I think it reflects, historically, a poor transfer strategy, where players have been bought on their own merits and in isolation, rather than with a good look at how they fit into the team/whether they compliment a style of play.

I also think bringing in Godfrey for Mina will allow us to play with a higher line, and we will see less mistakes from Pickford.

Regardless of all of that, he is still too error prone, too anxious and, ultimately, too small to be our keeper. You CANNOT have a keeper playing behind you who is that shouty, that on edge, and that prone to mistakes, and not feel on edge yourself. Think his time must surely be up

I think worst keeper in the league is pushing it a bit mate, even as someone who's not his biggest fan.

On Saturday, Pickford made a wonderful save at 0-0. Point blank range, tipping it into the bar. Very few other goalkeepers make that.

People have just grown immune to that though. I can understand it too. It's not for me to convince people to look at Pickford objectively, but he does lots of things very well. Prior to the Leicester mistake, I thought he had been fantastic after the derby (where he makes 2 wonderful saves).

I like Olsen too, and was one of the few on here who said hed be a good backup when he came. I'd probably prefer Olsen too, but Pickford does do things Olsen couldn't.

I look at that Fabianski today, only saw the first two goals. He should save them both. It's just one small example. If Pickford let's them in, people slaughter him.

Looking at the Premier League's stats for 'error's leading to goals', Pickford is currently 2nd for this season, was 2nd last season and 4th the season before that. He's been consistently one of the worst and most unreliable keepers in the league, there is no excuses to keep on giving him chances when we have a capable keeper in Olsen.

That stat doesn't even pick up the amount of flapping he does over the course of a game either.

Looking at the Premier League's stats for 'error's leading to goals', Pickford is currently 2nd for this season, was 2nd last season and 4th the season before that. He's been consistently one of the worst and most unreliable keepers in the league, there is no excuses to keep on giving him chances when we have a capable keeper in Olsen.

That stat doesn't even pick up the amount of flapping he does over the course of a game either.

Ah ok. He has been quite poor at that, but generally speaking better this season on other metrics.

No mate.

It is a very odd position for me to be in defending Pickford. I was always one of his firmest critics when he signed and even in the 1st season. I understand people are done with him. I have said for the last 4 summers I'd get a new goalkeeper in. But being objective, I don't think Olsen saves that header off Wilson.

It is a very odd position for me to be in defending Pickford. I was always one of his firmest critics when he signed and even in the 1st season. I understand people are done with him. I have said for the last 4 summers I'd get a new goalkeeper in. But being objective, I don't think Olsen saves that header off Wilson.

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. All he had to do was react, it was straight down his throat. I haven’t seen anything to suggest Olsen is slower to react than Pickford.

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. All he had to do was react, it was straight down his throat. I haven’t seen anything to suggest Olsen is slower to react than Pickford.

We obviosuly view it as a very different save. I'd say, point blank range like that you need very good reflexes, and I'm not convinced Olsen has them,. The cavaet here is I like Olsen, and we may well win against Leicester with Olsen in goal.

We obviosuly view it as a very different save. I'd say, point blank range like that you need very good reflexes, and I'm not convinced Olsen has them,. The cavaet here is I like Olsen, and we may well win against Leicester with Olsen in goal.

It was 1 of those weird ones, were it is a really good save and it looks spectacular, but if that had gone in, I'd have been fuming, as it was right above him. But credit where its due, it was a good reaction Save.

Screenshot_20210201_112446_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

The 1st goal though, his positioning and movement is just bizarre. I've watched it back several times and he almost jumps up horizontally on the spot instead of towards the post, with his arm out stretched. He's actually on his way back down when the ball passes him. Screenshot_20210201_113116_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Its been pointed out a lot, but his footwork is really poor, and while he will occasionally make the odd spectacular stop, I believe this is because of his hyperactive style which often makes standard saves appear more difficult.

But the biggest thing for me, was Wednesday. I could give him the benefit of the doubt on Saturday, as 2 goals he maybe could do nothing about in an abject team performance, If he hadn't cost us 3 points 3 days earlier with that absolute shocker. And I have no doubt that that goal on Wednesday, rightly or wrongly, had a negative effect on the team on Saturday. You can argue the toss about whether that should be or not, professionalism, preparedness, etc. But in a close game, when you are leading through a moment of inspiration against a difficult opponent, it's a real blow to the collective psyche, especially when you have to get straight back up against a team fighting for their life who you know you should probably beat.

Carlo is trying to do the right thing by the player and the club, in terms of not destroying his already deflated confidence and value, and the rotation is a clear example of that. But its only a matter of time before his and the teams patience for him runs out entirely.

Carlo questioned why the spirit was missing on Saturday, and I wouldn't mind betting that our hapless keeper is a big part of it. I'm sure Carlo has a good idea what it may be as well.

Last edited:
Reputation is a big thing for a keeper as it can def affect confidence. More so today with social media. His rep is he's seen as a joke. It happened to joe hart and he never got it back.
Nothing against the fella but i hope he's not between the sticks next season.
Nick pope playing behind a decent defence please.

Games against the RS which go horribly wrong are rarely forgotten and when occasionally one player was the sole cause neither is that forgotten. His gross error in the last minute at Analfield will live for ever on his slate. Apart from that error he is brilliant (only joking). I can't see Carlo selling him judging by his repeated comments about him. The most that will happen is a rotation with Olsen. I would be very surprised if he remains England keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.