2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilarious people are hating on him for the first goal, I’d be asking why 1 of our 4 defenders were not marking a centre forward at a corner and the smaller Richarlison was the closest to him.
He looks like a schoolboy in a far to big goal . The dive after the ball was almost over the line was pathetic. But he is a funny guy, like Ancelotti told us, so he has to play.

I worry that his mistake v Leicester will have the same impact as the mistake in the Derby did under Silva. The team has put their hearts into that game and despite all the position Leicester had, they weren’t getting through and then boom.
He has all the characteristics of Joe Hart, great shot stopper but always appearing over hyped in matches then at some point prone to a howler. He needs to sort his head out and calm down.

I worry that his mistake v Leicester will have the same impact as the mistake in the Derby did under Silva. The team has put their hearts into that game and despite all the position Leicester had, they weren’t getting through and then boom.
He has all the characteristics of Joe Hart, great shot stopper but always appearing over hyped in matches then at some point prone to a howler. He needs to sort his head out and calm down.
The team were getting battered and it was when, not if we conceeded for me, the game has no effect on how we do in others-we were just defending to much to not conceed, been waiting and wondering has anyone who blamed him for wednesday used that excuse as to why we played so bad yesterday, as their will be some for a cert as there always is lol

Prime Joe Hart was a top class goalkeeper. He just lost his way completely.

Pickford has never lost his way, he’s always been terrible.
Lots of keepers do that, sprint out to rush the forward into shooting but then stop in hope of saving it, rather than rushing miles to try to get to his feet by which time hes slotted.Serious, he was not at fault for either goal.
Should not have started though
“Lots of keepers do that”, yeah poor ones.

You don’t come out a bit, then go back a bit. You either come out fully and block close up, or remain in (or near) your goal to give you a chance at saving it. Decisive decision making, which he is incapable of. He was in no mans land. He compounded his error by being too far to his left, leaving a wide open gap for an easy finish across goal.

In terms of positional sense, he has to be right up there among the worst ever to play in the top flight. He makes what should be routine saves difficult, as he’s almost always a yard or two to the right/left where he should be. Never seen a keeper have to dive as much. Don’t watch lower league football so can’t compare him to goalkeepers at that level, but I’ve yet to see anyone as brain dead as he is. He’s just an incredibly stupid footballer.

His hyperactivity I’ve compared to Gazza, but Gazza at least had some football intelligence (albeit thrown in with some crazy hyperactive moments like throwing himself at Garry Charles and effectively ending his own career as a top player). Neither can/could contain their emotions, hence the bizarre facial expressions and mannerisms that often get mocked (unfairly so as it can’t be helped).

The difference with Gazza though is he could largely get away with being a loose canon as he played outfield, a goalkeeper has to exude calm as they have an enormous effect on the backline. A hyperactive, fidgety goalkeeper that creates panic is an enormous issue. That’s why an upgrade in the gk position is the first thing Carlo should be addressing.

We must give Olsen a go now.

Couldnt agree more, but safe to say this is not Carlo's first rodeo. What scares me, is having seen Olsen day in day out in training, he feels he isn't up to much & as such, JP worth backing, which is both scary and disappointing.

really really missed a trick with the Romero IMHO

Couldnt agree more, but safe to say this is not Carlo's first rodeo. What scares me, is having seen Olsen day in day out in training, he feels he isn't up to much & as such, JP worth backing, which is both scary and disappointing.

really really missed a trick with the Romero IMHO
We missed nothing with Romero as man utd wouldnt let him leave for us-nothing we could do no matter how much we may have tried, Olsen i think will start wednesday just based off Carlo's comments, if not then -then the cup game as cant see Pickford not been in goal for man utd game

We missed nothing with Romero as man utd wouldnt let him leave for us-nothing we could do no matter how much we may have tried, Olsen i think will start wednesday just based off Carlo's comments, if not then -then the cup game as cant see Pickford not been in goal for man utd game

Ye - quite possibly, but all in all it feels like we missed a trick not investing properly. We have the worst keeper in the league for three years straight and bought someone who cant force him out of the team.

Hopefully Olsen gets the run, Carlo certainly applied he will, and settles in well

Ye - quite possibly, but all in all it feels like we missed a trick not investing properly. We have the worst keeper in the league for three years straight and bought someone who cant force him out of the team.

Hopefully Olsen gets the run, Carlo certainly applied he will, and settles in well

I think worst keeper in the league is pushing it a bit mate, even as someone who's not his biggest fan.

On Saturday, Pickford made a wonderful save at 0-0. Point blank range, tipping it into the bar. Very few other goalkeepers make that.

People have just grown immune to that though. I can understand it too. It's not for me to convince people to look at Pickford objectively, but he does lots of things very well. Prior to the Leicester mistake, I thought he had been fantastic after the derby (where he makes 2 wonderful saves).

Carlo has improved him. Whether that's enough, who knows?

I like Olsen too, and was one of the few on here who said hed be a good backup when he came. I'd probably prefer Olsen too, but Pickford does do things Olsen couldn't.

I look at that Fabianski today, only saw the first two goals. He should save them both. It's just one small example. If Pickford let's them in, people slaughter him.

Status
Not open for further replies.