Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are definitely better keepers than him around but with Sunderland down, his availability and price tag could be what leads us to opt for him rather than someone like Forster, Hart or Butland - all of whom I would choose ahead of Pickford.

Don't know how you've concluded that mate. He wouldn't physically be able to make that many saves if he had poor positional sense.

Agility equates for a lot; when you look at some of the goals he's conceded he's been to far over, late off his line or just not strong enough to command his area.

Tim Howard had awful positional sense but made some fantastic save, as with Robles.

Agility equates for a lot; when you look at some of the goals he's conceded he's been to far over, late off his line or just not strong enough to command his area.

Tim Howard had awful positional sense but made some fantastic save, as with Robles.

I was just about to use Howard as an example of someone who had dreadful positional sense and as a result never saved anything haha.

Command of area is something that will come with experience. For his age he looks a lot more commanding than the likes of Robles did at his age, it's something Robles has improved at a lot recently, for all his faults.

I have a Richard Wright feeling about this one.

Despite Wright finished 5th in his one premier league season before the arsenal move, so the opposite of those people using him as the example why keepers at crap teams often looked inflated due to the number of shots.

When he ended up at us, he'd already had his confidence shot to pieces by a disastrous year at arsenal.

In short, nothing really alike.

I have a Richard Wright feeling about this one.

Indeed. I followed Wright a lot through the old man supporting Ipswich and he was without doubt the best young keeper I'd ever seen at that point.

Then Arsenal happened and we know the rest.

An understandable comparison if you ask me.

Every Sunderland fan I've seen says he's a lot better than Mignolet was.

Still, it's a fair point. A shot stopper in the firing line is a different kettle of fish to a keeper who often won't have many saves to make.

Contrasting views then, I think a lot will say that because he's English and he hasn't left him. I lived up there when Mignolet played for him and they never stopped going on about him.

Contrasting views then, I think a lot will say that because he's English and he hasn't left him. I lived up there when Mignolet played for him and they never stopped going on about him.

To be fair I thought Mignolet was good at Sunderland.

And he is a great shot stopper. But it highlights the difference between a keeper at a team who get battered vs a team who are at the other end of the table. It's a valid concern to have with Pickford, but it doesn't mean he won't be good.

Stoke signed Butland from Birmingham in similar circumstances, and most think Butland is the real deal.

To be fair I thought Mignolet was good at Sunderland.

And he is a great shot stopper. But it highlights the difference between a keeper at a team who get battered vs a team who are at the other end of the table. It's a valid concern to have with Pickford, but it doesn't mean he won't be good.

Stoke signed Butland from Birmingham in similar circumstances, and most think Butland is the real deal.

I wanted us to sign Mignolet.

Indeed. I followed Wright a lot through the old man supporting Ipswich and he was without doubt the best young keeper I'd ever seen at that point.

Then Arsenal happened and we know the rest.

An understandable comparison if you ask me.

Didn't he have an utter disaster in his debut for Both Arsenal and then us, i mean like throwing one in his net in both games?

Remember he had one of the weirdest injuries ever when he fell through his attic door for us as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back