Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. We clearly need a keeper, I've seen him make some great saves and he's obviously highly rated.

Keep getting Vietnam style flashbacks to him playing hot potato at Goodison for 90 minutes, though.

Didn't we go through all of this with the Cardiff keeper the season they went down? If your facing a barrage of shots every game the odds are if your half decent you'll save a fair few.If we are going to mount a serious top four challenge we'll need a keeper who does little to nothing for 95% of a game then has the concentration and skill to pull off point winning saves.Pickford?

I like him and he could be our keeper for 10 years or so. He's great shot-stopper and his positioning and commanding of the area will improve with experience. I'm okay with that.

He'll be a number 1 for England soon.

From what I have seen of him his reflexes are very good and is very agile. What I haven't seen (or noticed) is command of his area dealing with crosses. I don't want a stuck on your line keeper. Another thing I am not sure about is the fact quite a few of his saves actually come back out into the danger zone. I am not trying to be negative as I see a good shot stopper, a good narrower of the angles, a good one on one keeper but just hope he can collect crosses and that sometimes the ball sticks with him rather than going back into play.

..I doubt it but Moyes is a good judge and it would be good to know what he truly thinks of the lad. We did lots of business with Sunderland in January so I wouldn't be surprised if that included first option on Pickford if Sunderland go down.
I'm sure jinkyali said the Gibson deal was held up as we wanted something from them ref Pickford.

Hes made some absoulte wonder saves that highlights have not shown [the amount hes made this season dont even include the 2/3 months he was injured], you only see them if live or watching on the internet,until its done and dusted,or any deal we are supposedly doing or after,i not getting my hopes up or been happy etc,get pretty bored when a deal goes on and on and on,hopefully like koeman says we get deals done early or most of them,Brilliant keeper i rate anyway as ive said

The scary thing is he's not as good as Mignolet was when he was at Sunderland.

Everyone keeps going on about how many shots he's faced etc but Mignolet was the same and looked a lot better, went to the rs and the rest is history.

Every Sunderland fan I've seen says he's a lot better than Mignolet was.

Still, it's a fair point. A shot stopper in the firing line is a different kettle of fish to a keeper who often won't have many saves to make.

From what I have seen of him his reflexes are very good and is very agile. What I haven't seen (or noticed) is command of his area dealing with crosses. I don't want a stuck on your line keeper. Another thing I am not sure about is the fact quite a few of his saves actually come back out into the danger zone. I am not trying to be negative as I see a good shot stopper, a good narrower of the angles, a good one on one keeper but just hope he can collect crosses and that sometimes the ball sticks with him rather than going back into play.

...all goalies should be good shot stoppers, it's the other things that make the difference. Like you, I have my doubts and I'm not sure about his size but I remember think the same about De Gea. This lad is young and will be far from the finished article but if it's who the management team want then it's ok with me.

It's really odd that people are highlighting his pluses as a keeper in the very areas where Robles is proficient.And suggesting that his positioning etc "will come with time"...First cross he drops,first time he gets chipped while on the edge of the area,the forum will have him as the new Tim Howard.lol

It's really odd that people are highlighting his pluses as a keeper in the very areas where Robles is proficient.And suggesting that his positioning etc "will come with time"...First cross he drops,first time he gets chipped while on the edge of the area,the forum will have him as the new Tim Howard.lol

Yes this is true. We are a fan base that does like to find faults then emphasise them and use it as a reason why that player is not good enough. That's why we have a team that our own fans don't like lol

So because he's saving loads of shots at a poor club like Sunderland he can't be good? Looks a boss little keeper to me. His shot stopping is obviously his main plus. Stuff like positioning and command will be learnt with proper coaches and with age

Didn't we go through all of this with the Cardiff keeper the season they went down? If your facing a barrage of shots every game the odds are if your half decent you'll save a fair few.If we are going to mount a serious top four challenge we'll need a keeper who does little to nothing for 95% of a game then has the concentration and skill to pull off point winning saves.Pickford?

Heaton had the same thing though being brilliant whilst taking Burnley down. Now he's come back up and has been brilliant again.

It's not about the sheer number of saves he makes, that's not why people rate Pickford, or it shouldn't be.

His command of the penalty area is a big question mark for me too.

But then I'd be in a state of terror with that back four in front of me. I imagine coming for crosses would be difficult when one of your centre backs could just boot it in his own net at any minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back